Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Japan!
Wink 
Hello from Japan!
Hello! I was a Christian (Catholic - forced indoctrination) until I was 21. Realised it was all bullshit and escaped. I took up Buddhist practice, first Shingon (Vajrayana) then realising that was no different from Christianity, I took up Zen. I became a Zen monk and lived as such until just recently (20yrs). I soon realised that Buddhism is just another orthodox fixed religion no different from the Abrahamic religions.

Now, well, I'm FREE! I denounce all gods - Jesus, God, Allah, Buddha, Krishna, Amaterasu....etc.

Religion is a crippling of the mind, a placebo to hide away from our ills and suffering.
RE: Hello from Japan!
Lol Very, uh, passionate first post man. Welcome to AF, have some cherries and take a seat; you should fit right in here, trust me. Maybe you can enlighten some folks here as to some of the practices of Buddhism and what it was like to be a monk, too. Smile
Konichiwa.
Hi ! and Welcome !
"L'éternité, c'est maintenant"
Thanks for the welcomes.

(May 16, 2010 at 10:41 pm)Watson Wrote: Lol Very, uh, passionate first post man. Welcome to AF, have some cherries and take a seat; you should fit right in here, trust me. Maybe you can enlighten some folks here as to some of the practices of Buddhism and what it was like to be a monk, too. Smile

Well, there are many variations and practices in all the different sects and schools of Buddhism. Here in Japan Buddhism is mixed with Shinto, Taoism and Confucianism (the last two from China). Although the Buddha was just a man who had a very practical method of overcoming our own self-imposed suffering, man has shown that he can't put simple ideas into practice and Buddhism has become a great big mess of supernatural mumbo-jumbo and an orthodox fixed dogma. The sects and schools fight among themselves as well as with each other over which is the "True" way to practice and what the Buddha truly taught. It is all nonsense.

Shingon was all about communicating with some ever-present super Buddha - Mahavairocana (which is actually borrowed from Mazda the Sun god). Zen, while it is pushed on Westerners as being practical and free of fixed doctrine and supernatural beliefs, still requires that one believe in specific things such as all the Bodhisattvas, reincarnation, and gathering metta ("merit" - a kind of unseen monetary system that can be passed on to others somehow and to the dead).

I never believed anything I was instructed to believe ("Do not believe in something simply because it is taught, or because it is written in scriptures, test it for yourself to see whether it is true" - the Buddha) But, to question the teachers ("Question EVERYTHING" - the Buddha) means to go against the orthodoxy that is Buddhism today and to bring ridicule. Clearly, while the Buddha said one thing, it is another that is practiced today as his supposed teachings.

I have always been an Atheist and never believed in "God" and all the various Bodhisattvas (borrowed from Hinduism anyway).

Jun
Welcome to AF! I can already tell that your contributions are going to be interesting. I've learned something already!
Jun Wrote:Religion is a crippling of the mind, a placebo to hide away from our ills and suffering.

How very odd... I could swear 'religion' is usually defined otherwise. Sleepy

This one wonders why it took 20 years of being a Zen monk to come to the conclusion that it was false... perhaps Jun will tell her. I admit interest Smile

Regardless of my passive queries: welcome, I hope you enjoy your time here Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
AtheistForumsにようこそ !
[Image: pPQu8.png]
Welcome!!!!
Tiny Tiger
I have a secret and it is down below!

Welcome Jun :0

That was certainly a very clear and concise intro, and impressive as such.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi from Japan Belacqua 34 2613 October 16, 2018 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5994 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3647 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates