Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi from Japan
Hi from Japan
Maybe I should go ahead and introduce myself here. I don't think I exactly deserve a thread to myself, but if it's the courteous thing to do I want to say hello to everyone.

My passport says I'm American, but I've lived most of my life in Japan. I feel less and less American anymore, especially given the recent politics.

Since I was raised without any religion, and don't feel threatened by fundamentalists where I live, I don't feel emotional about other people's beliefs. I'm not reacting against anything. According to the standard definition used on forums like this one, I lack belief in a god, therefore I'm an atheist. But I don't think of that as part of my self-definition, particularly. It's not like something I either worry about or hide from people. 

My degrees are in painting and the philosophy of art. I came to Christian theology via its best exemplars -- The Divine Comedy, Renaissance Neoplatonism, the antinomian eccentricity of the Romantic poets. This means that I've never had to deal with the more rank-and-file Christianity of the local American church on the corner, and I am not interested in whatever the mainstream views are in red states. 

So as we say in my neighborhood, よろしくお願いします、which I think translates to things like "please remember me," "please help me," "I look forward to working with you," and "please treat me well!"
RE: Hi from Japan
Hi. Are all japanese women as cute and innocent as the seem?
Hello and welcome, Belaqua.  I've never been to Japan, but some friends of ours relocated to Shimane prefecture (can't recall the name of the town offhand) a few years ago.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 8, 2018 at 4:52 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Hi. Are all japanese women as cute and innocent as the seem?

Cute, yes absolutely. Innocent... well, they don't feel guilty about things. 

But if you've got that "obedient geisha" image in mind, I have bad news for you.

(October 8, 2018 at 5:05 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Hello and welcome, Belaqua.  I've never been to Japan, but some friends of ours relocated to Shimane prefecture (can't recall the name of the town offhand) a few years ago.

Boru

That's interesting -- Shimane has very few gaijin, as there are not that many big towns. There's good stuff though -- Matsue is pretty, and the area has a historic shrine and a fantastic museum. The bullet train doesn't go there, so it feels far away, still.
I'd love to see Japan but I'm petrified of Keiju! Are you 100% sure they're gone?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Welcome to our little corner of the universe.

😊
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Welcome from Italy Smile
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Hello from Cod. Do you eat much Sushi?
(October 8, 2018 at 5:51 am)ignoramus Wrote: I'd love to see Japan but I'm petrified of Keiju! Are you 100% sure they're gone?

We have badgers and raccoon-dogs, and once in a while I see a red ferret, though these run so fast it seems like an illusion.

And since the recent typhoon collapsed the terracing walls on the mountain above my house, the wild boars have gained access, and are digging up my garden. These are monstrous enough!

(October 8, 2018 at 5:58 am)Lucanus Wrote: Welcome from Italy Smile

You know there are days when I wish I'd moved your direction, rather than far east!

(October 8, 2018 at 6:01 am)IWNKYAAIMI Wrote: Hello from Cod. Do you eat much Sushi?

Sad to say, I am the most boring eater you've ever met. Chopped veggies and tofu just about all the time. It's pearls before swine menu-wise, with me being the piggy.
Mly x wife is Japanese. She has since moved back there. Went for a week in 2000. Loved Yokohama and Tokyo.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Hello from Japan! Jun 28 5035 August 9, 2010 at 8:56 am
Last Post: AnunZi