Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conquering Depression from the Sorrow of Life
Conquering Depression from the Sorrow of Life
For a hot minute thinks seemed really bad yesterday, but I turned them around and would like to share this experience with you.

Yesterday, while having lunch with several of my neighbors, I found myself in a very difficult situation. They were talking and I couldn’t really hear well enough to join in. My mind was very open to the idea of interacting with them. Put yourself in my shoes for a minute. You can think and feel but cannot see or hear. It’s like being a master swimmer who can’t float. I sat down with them ready to enjoy their company and ran into a brick wall.

It was one of those moments when I want to cry—want to scream, “Fuck y’all” and run away. But I knew that would not make me happy. That would not help me deal with the situation. When I was a child and my mother first acknowledged that I had a hearing impairment, she said, “Okay, you have a problem, now deal with it.” That seems cold, but it gave me permission to deal with it. It told me that being deaf was not a tragedy but a situation that could be dealt with.

Sitting there with my neighbors, I knew I could take the same energy it took to be depressed and use it to think up a way to deal with my situation. I focused and was able to pick up on some words and phrases. I responded to that and my neighbors were happy to include me.

Perception is reality. If I perceive myself as a person no one else has time to bother with then that will be my reality. I would sit there feeling sorry for myself and envious of those who can see and hear. I refuse to be that way.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Conquering Depression from the Sorrow of Life
I am so glad that you are finding constructive ways to deal with your difficulties Smile

I agree that looking on the bright side really helps. Check my signature Smile
You must have amazing patience. I really have no way to know what you go through with that, but knowing myself, I'd either snap or avoid social situations (like I already do) all together. That you have it in you to face those things head on says a lot about your get up and go.

And the message is very true, I have found. I've been on both ends of that decision. And that's what it comes down to- a decision. But training yourself to recognize that can be the brunt of the battle.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(October 21, 2015 at 1:37 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: It’s like being a master swimmer who can’t float. I sat down with them ready to enjoy their company and ran into a brick wall.

It's obviously quite common with clinical depression. I had that once or twice when people talked around me and suddenly my head went completely empty. An emptyness that is quite frightening and nearly made me panic. There's obviously no other way to deal with it than the way you've chosen. I took the same approach when it happened to me.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Changing others to behave the way I want can be done but sucks. Changing the way I behave, priceless?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
No point in getting hung up on "if only" too long, when if just ain't. All you can do is work within the parameters that you're given, and find another way. Sounds as if that's how you get down, Rhonda...you're kewl like that.
(October 21, 2015 at 1:37 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Perception is reality. If I perceive myself as a person no one else has time to bother with then that will be my reality. I would sit there feeling sorry for myself and envious of those who can see and hear.  I refuse to be that way.

boy, did I need to read this, today.

Thank you Rhonda.

[Image: 0_155085_a6394767_XL]

" If it is important to you, you will find a way.

If not, you'll find an excuse. "

~ Unknown
(October 21, 2015 at 1:37 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: For a hot minute thinks seemed really bad yesterday, but I turned them around and would like to share this experience with you.

Yesterday, while having lunch with several of my neighbors, I found myself in a very difficult situation.  They were talking and I couldn’t really hear well enough to join in. My mind was very open to the idea of interacting with them. Put yourself in my shoes for a minute. You can think and feel but cannot see or hear. It’s like being a master swimmer who can’t float. I sat down with them ready to enjoy their company and ran into a brick wall.

It was one of those moments when I want to cry—want to scream, “Fuck y’all” and run away. But I knew that would not make me happy. That would not help me deal with the situation. When I was a child and my mother first acknowledged that I had a hearing impairment, she said, “Okay, you have a problem, now deal with it.” That seems cold, but it gave me permission to deal with it. It told me that being deaf was not a tragedy but a situation that could be dealt with.

Sitting there with my neighbors, I knew I could take the same energy it took to be depressed and use it to think up a way to deal with my situation. I focused and was able to pick up on some words and phrases. I responded to that and my neighbors were happy to include me.

Perception is reality. If I perceive myself as a person no one else has time to bother with then that will be my reality. I would sit there feeling sorry for myself and envious of those who can see and hear.  I refuse to be that way.

You are a beautiful person.  I can tell.  And I'm always right.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Good for you Rhonda Smile

I'm impressed that you're looking for positive action rather than letting your situation control you.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Strength comes in many varied forms. Courage varies even in the same person from day to day. Where strength fails, courage takes over. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 14805 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  The philosophy of reaching God through utter depression WinterHold 11 1847 July 31, 2016 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Levi_Black
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4053 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  My Loss of faith has caused severe depression Aran 31 6957 June 21, 2013 at 2:41 am
Last Post: whatever76