Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pulp fiction intro song (Misirlou) = Loreena McKennitt???
Pulp fiction intro song (Misirlou) = Loreena McKennitt???
So, my husband was listening to the intro to Pulp Fiction, and he turns to me and says "That is the same song as Marco Polo, the instrumental solo, on that one Loreena McKennitt Album".  I know which song he means, we have that album on the disc changer in our car, and it is one of his favorites.

So I play both the songs, the Original Misirlou by Dick and Dale, and Marco Polo by Loreena McKennit....and indeed they are nearly the same (the upbeat part).
McKennit admits to borrowing bits of her song from Sufi's.  Think Dick and Dale did the same back in the 60's?  
This is so weird.

Is he crazy, or is these basically the same songs?
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: Pulp fiction intro song (Misirlou) = Loreena McKennitt???
The melody in "Misirlou" comes from an old Greek folk song.

I don't think the L. McKennit song is the same melody, although it is similar in places - it just uses the same very characteristic scale - the Double Harmonic scale, which is fairly prominent in a lot of middle-eastern and Mediterranean folk music.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
They both use the dominant phrygian mode, with the distinguishing characteristics of a b2 and a #4 relative to the root note. It's a scale common to much Arabic, Middle Eastern and Balkan music. Nutter is right, the melodies are similar but not identical.

(October 22, 2015 at 1:03 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: They both use the dominant phrygian mode, with the distinguishing characteristics of a b2 and a #4 relative to the root note. It's a scale common to much Arabic, Middle Eastern and Balkan music. Nutter is right, the melodies are similar but not identical.

I'm reading a bit of music theory and this to me is the equivalent of others getting explained physics by a pro. Fantastic!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Also, Loreena McKennitt's album The Book of Secrets was released in 1997, long before Dick Dale's heyday. Indeed, it was 3 years before Pulp Fiction was released.

Also, for the music theory-inclined, here's a piece Verdi wrote when he encountered a mysterious scale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VfYzBE9D-E

And here's Joe Satriani's take on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeYGcw6XCXg
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Dick Dale's heyday was back in the early 60s, Rev. Perhaps you meant to write "long after Dick Dale's heyday"?

Also, in this original I wrote and recorded about 20 years ago, I use Phrygian dominant for part of the guitar solo, starting at 2:35.

https://soundcloud.com/thumpalumpacus/going-tharn

That piece has some funky bass riffs, thump.
Yeah, my brotha Tim D tore it up on bass. We were roommates. I got home from work one day, about three pm, to find him fuckin' drunk in the living room trying to track his basslines. Took a listen back at his insistence, and jeez, was it sloppy, I thought -- just all over the place.

So a couple days later I'm practicing to it, anticipating that he'll recut his tracks but wanting to get the song under my fingers better. I pull the song up into my cans, crank my half-stack, and somewhere in the middle of the first solo I realize that with the guitar in there, the fucking bassline is perfect. And then the song carried me away. The lead guitar track is one take, one pass, and improvised. I'm just glad I had the policy of recording practices, because when I finished the take, I knew the song was done. I went back and added the second electric that you hear at points, and an acoustic that's buried for sweetening.

But Tim's bass track is what gives that song its drive and thump.

(October 22, 2015 at 2:28 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(October 22, 2015 at 1:03 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: They both use the dominant phrygian mode, with the distinguishing characteristics of a b2 and a #4 relative to the root note. It's a scale common to much Arabic, Middle Eastern and Balkan music. Nutter is right, the melodies are similar but not identical.

I'm reading a bit of music theory and this to me is the equivalent of others getting explained physics by a pro.  Fantastic!

If you ever have a question, do ask, I'll be happy to help.

(October 23, 2015 at 1:23 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: Dick Dale's heyday was back in the early 60s, Rev. Perhaps you meant to write "long after Dick Dale's heyday"?

Also, in this original I wrote and recorded about 20 years ago, I use Phrygian dominant for part of the guitar solo, starting at 2:35.

https://soundcloud.com/thumpalumpacus/going-tharn

Yes, i meant after in both cases. I wish I could edit it and rectify that mistake.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please Use This Song (Jon Lajoie) WinterHold 1 354 December 1, 2020 at 11:21 am
Last Post: brewer
  The best song in the history of mankind WinterHold 25 1606 August 28, 2018 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  So finally tried making a classical piano song. . . bennyboy 27 2793 July 29, 2018 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  School Shooting Range (Original Song) Mechaghostman2 4 920 April 17, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Fire Storm (Original Song) Mechaghostman2 0 322 February 15, 2018 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  Favorite '80s Song(s)? ƵenKlassen 4 1063 December 5, 2017 at 6:15 pm
Last Post: KittyAnn
  What song would describe your life? ƵenKlassen 30 6878 November 24, 2017 at 12:36 am
Last Post: Fireball
  What is your favorite Queen song? ƵenKlassen 19 2215 November 14, 2017 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Dystopian Fiction Is Selling Like There’s No Tomorrow AFTT47 5 883 March 13, 2017 at 2:44 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What is the first song or piece of music you can remember hearing on the radio (or)? Whateverist 78 10875 October 27, 2016 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: abaris