Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dystopian Fiction Is Selling Like There’s No Tomorrow
Dystopian Fiction Is Selling Like There’s No Tomorrow
Here is an article with the same title as my thread title. It reports surges of interest in works of fiction and non-fiction regarding apocalyptic subjects. Much of the renewed interest has followed the November election of President Donald Trump, which publishers and scholars say is no coincidence.

No surprise to me. There are ideas which would have seemed unthinkable to me (like breakaway states of the United States such as Texas) which now seem less crazy than the idea that citizens of the USA actually elected a totally unqualified circus clown as President.

We are in uncharted territory here. Is there really any fiction crazier than our reality?

I expect we will see lots more apocalyptic fiction in the near future for the simple reason that it is now much more believable.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
RE: Dystopian Fiction Is Selling Like There’s No Tomorrow
I would have expected people to go the escapist route in the current situation.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I can imagine a certain segment of the population who are cheerleaders for Armageddon might buy a fuckton of apocalyptic fiction of a certain sort.

If you get my meaning.
I'm reading "1984" and will probably pick up "Brave New World".

What's funny is hearing pundits say we're in "uncharted territory" with the fruitcakes currently running the US government. Well, no, we're not.
i dont know why we should be reading that stuff hell we live in a Orwellian society we will be living in a dystopia
soon if we don't get our shit together
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(March 12, 2017 at 7:41 pm)Tres Leches Wrote: I'm reading "1984" and will probably pick up "Brave New World".

What's funny is hearing pundits say we're in "uncharted territory" with the fruitcakes currently running the US government. Well, no, we're not.

"Brave new world" present a competent distopia, a distopic world which is technically proficient at being what it is. That would be most certainly not the distopic trump world. A distopic trump world would crush you with both malice and incompetence.

(March 13, 2017 at 1:00 am)dyresand Wrote: i dont know why we should be reading that stuff hell we live in a Orwellian society we will be living in a dystopia  
soon if we don't get our shit together

A lobester needs to read about being cracked open and eaten if it were to acquire the proper prospective on why the normal temperature seems hotter than it was.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulp fiction intro song (Misirlou) = Loreena McKennitt??? Aroura 10 3796 October 23, 2015 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Is there Christian music that you still like? Losty 45 7226 July 10, 2014 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Shaggy
  Global Warming: Fact or Fiction? Belac Enrobso 95 13955 January 8, 2014 at 6:37 am
Last Post: Fenix
  Fox News: Costco -- The Bible Is Fiction rexbeccarox 12 3798 November 20, 2013 at 7:00 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  ...the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow... Autumnlicious 0 1262 October 30, 2012 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  selling a screensaver BattlingMaxo 3 1571 March 18, 2011 at 2:48 am
Last Post: theVOID