Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 4:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you even lift, AF bro?
Do you even lift, AF bro?
I thought I'd make this thread for the weightlifters out there, theists and non-theists alike!

What kind of lifting, strength-training are you into? Powerlifting, bodybuilding, strongman training?

I lift primarily for health reasons, and I also like to see how far I can push myself. I've lifted off and on for a few years but only got serious about it earlier this year. I've been very consistent and have progressed from weak to not-as-weak.  Rolleyes 

Current lifts are as follows:
Bench - 220 lb max
Squat - 240 lb max
Deadlift - 280 lb max
OHP - 120 lb max
Bent row - Not sure about max, but 130 lb for reps

I don't like maxing so those numbers are based on what I can do for a double or maybe a triple. Anybody who lifts can see that I've still got a long way to go, but I enjoy the process of changing my body and getting stronger. Pushing myself past my comfort level is also a benefit for me. Nothing builds mental toughness like a heavy squat session!

EDIT: Guess I should mention that I am currently 175 lb. That helps put my numbers in perspective I suppose. Tongue
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin
RE: Do you even lift, AF bro?
I haven't tried a max workout since I was in college. There really is no reason for it unless you are competing, and there are great ways to test your strength/conditioning without maxing out.

I am all about functional workouts. I do a CrossFit sort of training, focusing on supersets and hitting all the muscle groups and serious cardio in one workout. High rep--low, mostly bodyweight resistance.

ETA: With one exception: there's usually a barbell exercise as the centerpiece.

Power-Cleans - 165#, 5 sets of 8 reps
Clean-Press - 135#, 5 sets of 8 reps
Dead lifts - 315#, 5 sets of 12 reps
Thrusters (basically a trapped clean and press in one continuous motion) - 135#, 5 sets of 8-10 reps
Squats - (in the trap) - 185#, 5 sets of 12 reps
Deep kneed rock squats: 5-7 at a time, in a row.

Each of these exercises will be supersetted, no rest, with 4 other exercises - an abs, a push/pull or two, core, back, chest etc.

I usually do one superset to start, then two supersets back to back, for 5 sets.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I'm doing Convict Conditioning - it's a bodyweight program supposedly developed by a former prisoner from his days in the joint. My TKD instructor recommended it. I like bodyweight conditioning because IMO it maintains functional strength better than weight training. I have a brother-in-law who was always into fitness. When he was ~65 he said I can still bench press what I was doing 20 years ago, but my functional strength has really declined. That's kinda stuck with me.
I am pathetically weak as I can't do very much exertion before I'm fucked.

I didn't use to to weights when I was healthy, but I did a lot of exercise. I used to be thin and fit.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I've been considering joining a gym lately - I have a TotalGym exercise thingie, and I'm no longer challenged by max setting Tongue

But then I remember how unbelievably lazy I am when it comes to that sort of thing. I do walk to and from work every day - a 40 minute round trip, which isn't too bad, and I'm in pretty good nick. For now at least, that will suffice.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
I can lift a Maine Coon cat all by my self! That's like 20lbs! Behold my unnatural strength!
I'm somewhat overweight (6'0", 240), though I have a fairly broad body. I'm really just trying to lose weight and maintain (rather than gain) strength; during an average week I'll 1) run 1-2 miles 3 or 4 times, 2) stationary bike 5-10 miles 2 or 3 times, and 3) spend a half hour on the weight machines 2 or 3 times. And it's all thanks to my local YMCA!
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
@SteelCurtain: Those are good numbers! I need to incorporate some supersets into my own sessions. I need to work on my endurance, and supersets would go a long way toward helping that. I used to be a competitive runner about five years ago, but my stamina and endurance has dropped a lot since that time.

@Alpha male: I've read about that program. When I think about functional strength, I think about movements that keep you really mobile, which are a bit biased towards movements which utilize bodyweight like burpees and the like. I do mobility work before my weight sessions so I think that helps me with staying flexible and highly mobile.

@robvalue: Does your current health prohibit you from exercising anymore? The convict conditioning program alpha male mentioned can be performed without any special equipment at all. You just need your body and some space!
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin
(October 23, 2015 at 10:42 am)Iroscato Wrote: I've been considering joining a gym lately - I have a TotalGym exercise thingie, and I'm no longer challenged by max setting Tongue

But then I remember how unbelievably lazy I am when it comes to that sort of thing. I do walk to and from work every day - a 40 minute round trip, which isn't too bad, and I'm in pretty good nick. For now at least, that will suffice.

That's a nice little walk! Doing something like that every single day is great for you. I personally know people that do not walk that much in an entire week.

(October 23, 2015 at 10:46 am)TRJF Wrote: I'm somewhat overweight (6'0", 240), though I have a fairly broad body.  I'm really just trying to lose weight and maintain (rather than gain) strength; during an average week I'll 1) run 1-2 miles 3 or 4 times, 2) stationary bike 5-10 miles 2 or 3 times, and 3) spend a half hour on the weight machines 2 or 3 times.  And it's all thanks to my local YMCA!

Man, I wish there were a YMCA close to my home. :/ I work out outside in my shed (the dungeon; shed of pain; etc.). I'll post a picture of my setup at some point. You're doing a good amount of cardio! Combine with with a slight caloric deficit and you're sure to lose weight if that is your goal.
Does it count if I lift my dog 10 times a day?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you