Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think[Neurology question]
Do you think[Neurology question]
So i have become very curious lately about "Nootropics" which are basically smart drugs, that increase cognitive functions, and overall promote brain health. To save time, i'll just skip to the question.

Do you think that we will ever discover a new Neurotransmitter, one that is largly responsible for cognitive functions, or if aided, can increase cognitive ability dramatically?

(Why am I asking this):
This was the premise in the movie Limitless. It was very briefly explained. Basically, Vernon(Main characters brother) said:
"They discovered some new neurotransmitter, which controls all of your brain, this lets you access all of it"(paraphrasing)

I'm taking the "Controls all of your brain" as more of a "is responsible for your intelligence" type thing.

Anyways, thoughts?
Do we already know all that controls cognitive functions? Or all that controls our overall brain intelligence?
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
RE: Do you think[Neurology question]
I have no idea, but I feel there is a moral question as to whether we should do it or not.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(October 25, 2015 at 11:49 pm)robvalue Wrote: I have no idea, but I feel there is a moral question as to whether we should do it or not.
To take a drug that would enhance your intelligence exponentially?
I see nothing morally wrong with that, however, the only way this would ever exist would be illegally and over-priced.
Which is better:

The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
I certainly think we will, or at least I hope we do. I'm no neuroscientist though. But the one I'm reading and following doesn't reject the possibility that there will be very powerful mind bending substances at some point in the future.

You should check out the new Limitless series if you're a fan of the movie.

(October 25, 2015 at 11:49 pm)robvalue Wrote: I have no idea, but I feel there is a moral question as to whether we should do it or not.

How so?
We know the basics. We don't know enough to really act on it.
We know how to maintain the engine but we have no idea how to upgrade it.

The nootropics on the market tend to be simply a combination of vitamins and various supplements designed to enhance blood flow and the release of certain chemicals in the brain to enhance focus.
It sounds alot more futuristic and impressive than it actually is. Not at all like Limitless.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(October 26, 2015 at 12:15 am)excitedpenguin Wrote: I certainly think we will, or at least I hope we do. I'm no neuroscientist though. But the one I'm reading and following doesn't reject the possibility that there will be very powerful mind bending substances at some point in the future.

You should check out the new Limitless series if you're a fan of the movie.

How so?
A good quote I heard recently is: "Your brain has the ability to do extraordinary things, it truly has no limits. Every time we think we put a limit on the brain, it exceeds it." - (dont know)

I already am watching the show. I've made many posts on their sub reddit, I really love the show so far. 

(October 26, 2015 at 12:23 am)RaphielDrake Wrote: We know the basics. We don't know enough to really act on it.
We know how to maintain the engine but we have no idea how to upgrade it.

The nootropics on the market tend to be simply a combination of vitamins and various supplements designed to enhance blood flow and the release of certain chemicals in the brain to enhance focus.
It sounds alot more futuristic and impressive than it actually is. Not at all like Limitless.
I know what you are talking about. I currently take Modafinil, which is a pretty hardcore nootropic in comparison to most of the ones which are made from plants all naturally. I would say, that even on this more chemically dependent type of Nootropic, it would be around 1/50th of what NZT(drug from Limitless) is like.

Edit:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=drug+most+like+nzt
Which is better:

The choice is yours. 

(October 26, 2015 at 12:30 am)heatiosrs Wrote:  I really love the show so far. 
Me too.
(October 26, 2015 at 12:13 am)heatiosrs Wrote:
To take a drug that would enhance your intelligence exponentially?
I see nothing morally wrong with that, however, the only way this would ever exist would be illegally and over-priced.

I'm thinking of the potential consequences. If it's only available to some, then this will create a massive gulf, essentially fracturing us into two entirely different groups. I know we have a lot of diversity as it is, but not on this scale.

Then there's the problem with how people cope with this sudden the new intelligence. They may become so incredibly bored that they go insane due to lack of challenging stimulation. Their life would be turned upside down in an instant; they would barely be the same person anymore.

And we wouldn't necessarily have the wisdom to go with it and may end up destroying the planet even faster than we already are.

I'm not saying all these things would definitely happen like I'm describing, just that I think there are serious implications. I've noticed mankind generally leaps ahead with technology before properly undstanding what the fallout may be until it's too late. There is a field of study specifically about this, looking at ways we might possibly end up ruining our own society and trying to avoid them.

Another quick example: I'm now so intelligent I can crack all the current security algorithms for everything. You can't prepare the world for people this intelligent without it already being designed by people this intelligent; a circular problem. The first generation will have amazing power which they could heavily abuse.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(October 25, 2015 at 11:31 pm)heatiosrs Wrote: Do you think that we will ever discover a new Neurotransmitter, one that is largly responsible for cognitive functions, or if aided, can increase cognitive ability dramatically?

You mean one that is naturally occurring? No, or very improbable at best. The brain has been too closely studied.

But existing neurotransmitters are used in multiple parts of the brain. Their use is dependent upon where they are used. For example, a loss of dopamine producing cells is linked to Parkinson's, but dopamine is also used for pleasure and reward.

And just increasing the level of neurotransmitter won't help anyway. That's like saying flooding your LAN with white noise will speed up your computer. Neurotransmitters are used for sending signals sent between neurons. Neurons release them into a synaptic cleft. Filling the cleft with more signals won't help. What will help is giving neurons the ability to send strong signals for longer. Good, nutritious food and exercising your brain will do that.

Generally excitatory drugs which makes you feel more alert, or happier, excited etc are the equivalent of going on a spending spree. It doesn't produce the money but just speeds up how fast you spend it. So you just end up broke for longer.
IANAN, but I don't think it is that simple. At least for intelligence, that is in how the brain is wired and trained, and just adding some chemicals may allow you to get the maximum performance out of what you already have, but I can't imagine how it would magically increase IQ etc. beyond that. But I could imagine having a substance which dramatically increases speed of perception.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think we'll ever discover where the universe came from? Heat 23 4578 October 25, 2015 at 5:37 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin