Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think we'll ever discover where the universe came from?
Do you think we'll ever discover where the universe came from?
@Title.

There are many scientific theories, many that fit within the parameters of physics, yet they just aren't backed by any evidence.

The only way I think we will ever get evidence to prove any one persons theory on the universe's origin is if we get observable/testable scientific data. For example Newton's laws of gravity, even though it was just a theory, we were able to see the planets, and see this actually work. We can't observe anything outside of this universe, if there is anything, so I don't really think we will ever have anything more than theories.

What are your thoughts though? I know it's a common question in physics, and astronomy, or whatever, just curious to hear different answers.
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
RE: Do you think we'll ever discover where the universe came from?
A scientific theory is much more than a mere theory.

Any scientific theory is automatically more credible than something concocted by an ignorant religious mind.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(October 24, 2015 at 3:04 am)Kitan Wrote: A scientific theory is much more than a mere theory.

Any scientific theory is automatically more credible than something concocted by an ignorant religious mind.
I wasn't even considering religion for a reason.

I'm saying that a theory doesn't usually gain credibility unless it can be tested, or at least demonstrated in some shape or form, observed. Any theory about the universe's origin would most likely be unobservable, untestable, the math may work, but you can't really get any data about anything besides this one universe.
Which is better:

The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
I don't think we can ever know.
Maybe the only way to find out how it all works is to be looking and studying from the outside.
Since we are in it, of it and are it, our universe may as well be a water molecule, and us pondering was "wet" feels like.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(October 24, 2015 at 3:20 am)ignoramus Wrote: I don't think we can ever know.
Maybe the only way to find out how it all works is to be looking and studying from the outside.
Since we are in it, of it and are it, our universe may as well be a water molecule, and us pondering was "wet" feels like.
That's kind of what I felt like too. Since we are in it, we can never know what's beyond it. I think others have different opinions though, other than religiously related, so that's my reason for asking this question. Just curious Smile.
Which is better:

The choice is yours. 

We don't know if it came from anywhere for sure, it may have just always existed in some shape or form.

If it did come from something, then it's not the universe but just a sub-reality. That would still leave the same questions about the parent reality.

I don't think it's likely we will ever be fully able to answer these questions. But I believe we'll get closer.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The universe came from Amazon. I thought everyone already knew this. It was a large order so, you know, free shipping.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 24, 2015 at 2:59 am)heatiosrs Wrote: @Title.

There are many scientific theories, many that fit within the parameters of physics, yet they just aren't backed by any evidence.

The only way I think we will ever get evidence to prove any one persons theory on the universe's origin is if we get observable/testable scientific data. For example Newton's laws of gravity, even though it was just a theory, we were able to see the planets, and see this actually work. We can't observe anything outside of this universe, if there is anything, so I don't really think we will ever have anything more than theories.

What are your thoughts though? I know it's a common question in physics, and astronomy, or whatever, just curious to hear different answers.

I think you are right in principle, (though I also disagree with your use of theory when you actually mean hypothesis or conjecture.)
It also depends on what exactly you mean. It is quite plausible that we will somehow discover things about the mechanisms of the big bang which will push back the frontier a bit further conceptually, if not in time (it is not clear that the concept as you know it still is applicable). But here's the thing, I can't imagine a scientific breakthrough after which you can't still ask "and why is *that* there?".
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I don't see how it could possible for anyone to know for certain. 
No reason to believe magic was the cause though...magic's never been the answer to anything. Ever.
Quote:But here's the thing, I can't imagine a scientific breakthrough after which you can't still ask "and why is *that* there?".

That's quite possibly the best encapsulation of scientific inquiry I've ever seen.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 16690 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Universe Is Not Locally Real Foxaèr 52 5196 December 31, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Infinite Universe? JairCrawford 13 1177 May 4, 2022 at 5:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Now we know when the first stars in the universe switched on Foxaèr 1 408 June 28, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Another universe existed before ours Foxaèr 27 2470 November 29, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Watching a show "How The Universe Works" Brian37 13 1871 July 24, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Total stars in Universe is rougly equal to the total number (ever) of human cells. Jehanne 39 6296 May 24, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An infinite, beginningless and eternal Universe is taken seriously by scientists. Jehanne 20 3914 March 18, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What Does Gravity Have To Do WithThe Expanding Universe? Rhondazvous 42 6031 February 26, 2018 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  If the Universe Collapses Because of a False Vacuum, Won't There Just be Another Big Rhondazvous 11 2482 November 8, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: brewer