Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The New Covenant
The New Covenant
So I was reading my Bible, as I do, and I came across a passage in Jeremiah I'd like to share:

‘The days are coming,’ declares the Lord,
    ‘when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel
    and with the people of Judah.
It will not be like the covenant
    I made with their ancestors
when I took them by the hand
    to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant,
    though I was a husband to them,’
        declares the Lord.
‘This is the covenant that I will make with the people of Israel
    after that time,’ declares the Lord.
‘I will put my law in their minds
    and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
    and they will be my people.
No longer will they teach their neighbour,
    or say to one another, “Know the Lord,”
because they will all know me,
    from the least of them to the greatest,’
        declares the Lord.
‘For I will forgive their wickedness
    and will remember their sins no more.’

-Jeremiah 31:31-34

As a Christian I'd read this passage before - but never in context. This passage describes, in detail, what the New Covenant is.

It's a covenant between God and Israel/Judah. It is NOT a covenant between God and non-Jews.

It's an unconditional covenant - it doesn't require obedience or belief or any action on behalf of the Jews to receive the knowledge of God and forgiveness from God.

It is made clear this covenant wholly replaces the Mosaic covenant.

So how did Christians get it so wrong? They believe the New Covenant is one made between God and all people through Jesus Christ as the mediator. They believe forgiveness has to be earned in some way (either through repentance, by faith, or by good works depending on the denomination). And they believe in the authority of clergy to teach about God - but God says in this covenant that no one will have to teach about him because he will personally tell all the Jews himself.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: The New Covenant
Why couldn't "god" get it right the first time?
It is also quoted in full in Hebrews 8.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
good job Aractus well i know what my next thread is going to be about over on christian forums lol  what can they say im just quoting scripture and asking a simple question Angel

wonder what the apologists will come up with should be very amusing
Imagine there's no heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today   FSM Grin   Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too Imagine all the people Living life in peace You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you will join us And the world will be as one  - John Lennon

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also  - Mark Twain
Quoting the Bible accurately and asking tough questions is clear grounds for banning at CF... good luck Jenny.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(November 11, 2015 at 12:48 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Quoting the Bible accurately and asking tough questions is clear grounds for banning at CF... good luck Jenny.

true you have to be careful there cant really agressively debate something like that , i was just going to say something like " hi everyone i came across this and it confuses me because it says the new covenent is only for the jews and doesnt require them to do anything can someone please explain this ? i really dont understand thank you so much " lol Wink just want to see what they say about it not really going to debate it im sure some people will find it interesting even if its  only the the non christians there they definately will think its useful and interesting fact in the bible
Imagine there's no heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today   FSM Grin   Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too Imagine all the people Living life in peace You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you will join us And the world will be as one  - John Lennon

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also  - Mark Twain
(November 10, 2015 at 10:01 pm)Aractus Wrote: So I was reading my Bible, as I do, and I came across a passage in Jeremiah I'd like to share:

declares the Lord.

I will be their God,
        declares the Lord.

As a Christian I'd read this passage before - but never in context. This passage describes, in detail, what the New Covenant is.

It's a covenant between God and Israel/Judah. It is NOT a covenant between God and non-Jews.

It's an unconditional covenant - it doesn't require obedience or belief or any action on behalf of the Jews to receive the knowledge of God and forgiveness from God.

So how did Christians get it so wrong? They believe the New Covenant is one made between God and all people through Jesus Christ as the mediator. They believe forgiveness has to be earned in some way (either through repentance, by faith, or by good works depending on the denomination). And they believe in the authority of clergy to teach about God - but God says in this covenant that no one will have to teach about him because he will personally tell all the Jews himself.

Want to explain to every one the bold by me in the scripture you posted, that's an important part of the passages, tell us when will it begin? It certainly hasn't yet because many Jews and some who've been on this forum do not believe in God and the passage says all will know Him.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(November 11, 2015 at 1:22 am)Godschild Wrote:
(November 10, 2015 at 10:01 pm)Aractus Wrote: So I was reading my Bible, as I do, and I came across a passage in Jeremiah I'd like to share:

declares the Lord.

I will be their God,
        declares the Lord.

Want to explain to every one the bold by me in the scripture you posted, that's an important part of the passages, tell us when will it begin? It certainly hasn't yet because many Jews and some who've been on this forum do not believe in God and the passage says all will know Him.

GC

christians claim that jesus was this "new covenant" but the new covenent prophesied in the old testament is only about the jews not all of humanity , christianity included gentiles also all of humanity, but thats not what the OT said

Most likely explanation is that xtians don't know what the hell they are talking about.
(November 11, 2015 at 1:33 am)jenny1972 Wrote:
(November 11, 2015 at 1:22 am)Godschild Wrote: Want to explain to every one the bold by me in the scripture you posted, that's an important part of the passages, tell us when will it begin? It certainly hasn't yet because many Jews and some who've been on this forum do not believe in God and the passage says all will know Him.

GC

christians claim that jesus was this "new covenant" but the new covenent prophesied in the old testament is only about the jews not all of humanity , christianity included gentiles also all of humanity, but thats not what the OT said

The covenant that was posted hasn't happened yet. There are scriptures in the OT about Jesus coming to save all of mankind, not just the Jews. You need to study the scriptures more all the answers are there.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Virgin Mary, Ark of the Covenant Phatt Matt s 179 24893 March 27, 2014 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball