Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jiihadi John Assasinated
Jiihadi John Assasinated
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/uk-cameron-j...airstrike/

I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this already. The British citizen who beheaded multiple hostages on video was targeted and killed by the U.S. and apprarently Great Britain was in on it it as well.

I think it's a good thing because it sends a message that this kind of depraved violence is nothing less than a war crime and if you choose to do this, we WILL come after you and you will die.

On the other hand, this is clearly a political assassination. Jiihadi John did not pose a military threat - any fool can commit murder. We didn't like this guy (for obvious reasons) so we killed him.

Like I said, I think it sends a message that needed to be sent. I'm wondering what others here think.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
RE: Jiihadi John Assasinated
Good riddance, if true.

No loss to humanity.
Wonder if he's being ravaged by 72 goats now ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Why do you use the word "assassinated"?
(November 13, 2015 at 6:53 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: Why do you use the word "assassinated"?

Because I don't see any other word as applicable. We targeted a specific individual who is not a particularly great military threat. Like I said, any fool can commit murder This guy did it in a particularly horrendous way - a way which can easily be argued is a crime against all humanity. But we killed him without a trial. I can see justifying that against a particularly important military combatant like the Japanese military commander we went after in WWII but Jihadi John was just a thug.

Like I said, I'm glad we did it. It just seems like a dangerous precedent though. What if one of us does something the U.S. government REALLY doesn't like? Should we be shot down without a trial? I guess that depends on what we did but the thought of that kind of summary judgement is troublesome to me and I'm not even one of those people who have a slavish devotion to law.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
How many other ISIS fucks have been killed by drone strikes?  This guy is nothing special.  Just one less scumbag on the other side.
(November 13, 2015 at 7:12 pm)Minimalist Wrote: How many other ISIS fucks have been killed by drone strikes?  This guy is nothing special.  Just one less scumbag on the other side.

The others we killed were high-ranking leaders or possessed special skills like bomb-making abilities. They could be justified as military targets because of that. Jihadi John was nobody special outside of being a particularly abhorrent thug. He was nothing more than the equivalent of an enemy foot soldier who just happened to be a particularly noteworthy asshole.

Albert Einstein
Quote: The others we killed were high-ranking leaders or possessed special skills like bomb-making abilities.

Really?  Because the Pentagon said so?  How much "collateral damage" was there when the missiles hit? 

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/world/....html?_r=0

Quote:Drone Strikes Reveal Uncomfortable Truth: U.S. Is Often Unsure About Who Will Die

Quote:By most accounts, hundreds of dangerous militants have, indeed, been killed by drones, including some high-ranking Qaeda figures. But for six years, when the heavy cloak of secrecy has occasionally been breached, the results of some strikes have often turned out to be deeply troubling.

Every independent investigation of the strikes has found far more civilian casualties than administration officials admit. Gradually, it has become clear that when operators in Nevada fire missiles into remote tribal territories on the other side of the world, they often do not know who they are killing, but are making an imperfect best guess.

Truth is the first casualty in war.... which sort of means don't believe your own propaganda.
Well there was no beating around the bush here. We deliberately targeted someone who was not a high-value military target.

Albert Einstein
Assassinated is exactly the word I used when I heard this news. I know what you mean AFTT, I'm conflicted about this.

It's hard to make a proper judgement without all the information. Were they planning to take this guy out specifically and waiting for the chance? Were they just taking out ISIS guys and happened to hit him? Or did they see an opportunity to kill an annoying target and take it?

I have no idea, probably few people know the whole truth here; we get told what they want us to hear.

I agree that this guy is scum and the world is better off without him. But then that applies to many, many people, and it wouldn't justify killing them out of combat. I really don't know what the "rules" are here. Is the US officially at war to such a degree that killing any confirmed ISIS guys at any time is fair game? Even if they aren't actually posing a threat at the time you kill them? Calling this self defence seems like a stretch, it's more like revenge.

Part of me wants the whole of the civilised world to get together, hunt out every last one of these fuckers and rid the world of them for good. But the other part sees a load of broken, programmed people. Mental illness would normally explain the kind of behaviour we see from ISIS, but there's just too many of them for that to be credible. Surely for at least some of them, people who would otherwise have been normal people have been fucked with so badly that they are now ruthless killing machines.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  John Hinkley Jr on the loose. onlinebiker 58 3029 October 9, 2021 at 10:17 am
Last Post: brewer
  John Oliver on riots and looting. Brian37 31 2628 June 9, 2020 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Mr.wizard
  John Barlow Dead! chimp3 4 698 February 22, 2018 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Reince Priebus Out, John Kelly New WH Chief Of Staff A Theist 12 3144 July 29, 2017 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  John Oliver being sued by Greedy Coal Bastard Divinity 2 1007 June 22, 2017 at 1:49 am
  John Oliver's Take on Theresa May's Disaster Minimalist 4 1478 June 12, 2017 at 6:16 pm
  John Oliver Blasts The WLB on Paris Accord Minimalist 0 750 June 5, 2017 at 11:44 am
  John "J." Geils dead at 71 c172 4 922 April 12, 2017 at 7:40 am
Last Post: Brian37
  John Hurt Snuffs It At 77 BrianSoddingBoru4 23 3058 January 28, 2017 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  "Jihadi John" confirmed killed in airstrike The Valkyrie 31 5747 January 21, 2016 at 5:15 am
Last Post: account_inactive