Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 2:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vaccines and Autism
Vaccines and Autism
So I know this is beating a dead horse, but has anyone ever stopped to ask why anti-vaxers are treating autism (or disability in general) like some sort of life dooming thing? Doesn't anyone else think it's really weird that they'd rather their kid(s) have mumps, smallpox, polio, measles, etc than live with a disability?
RE: Vaccines and Autism
(November 14, 2015 at 2:14 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: So I know this is beating a dead horse, but has anyone ever stopped to ask why anti-vaxers are treating autism (or disability in general) like some sort of life dooming thing? Doesn't anyone else think it's really weird that they'd rather their kid(s) have mumps, smallpox, polio, measles, etc than live with a disability?

They don't think like that. Because these diseases aren't very visible due to the success of vaccination they don't see them as an issue. Autism on the other hand they do see and can't stand the thought of their little angels being anything less than perfect.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

People are quick to want something to blame, and I can't blame them for that. When your child suddenly changes, or rather, you get a diagnosis that your child is unwell, you're naturally going to start looking for an explanation and hopefully a resolution.

Unfortunately when you get a snake oil salesman like Andrew Wakefield who comes along offering a panacea both in explanation ("it's MMR!") and a treatment ("don't use MMR!") then it seems so easy.

What these people don't realise is that they're contributing to making illnesses like autism even worse by diverting interest and cash away from real research. Instead these people view Wakefield et al as some sort of deity who has gone against the man and told them exactly what they wanted to hear.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I'm not doing this again.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 14, 2015 at 2:14 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: So I know this is beating a dead horse, but has anyone ever stopped to ask why anti-vaxers are treating autism (or disability in general) like some sort of life dooming thing? Doesn't anyone else think it's really weird that they'd rather their kid(s) have mumps, smallpox, polio, measles, etc than live with a disability?

Clearly, people do not grasp that vaccines prevent serious diseases. If they thought vaccines prevented diseases, they would vaccinate their kids.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
People are just stupid
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Anti-vaxers are fucking idiots and public enemies. I don't have much more to say about them.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I guess there's also that psychological-philosophical difference between the risk of actively doing harm (or thinking one does) and the risk of doing nothing. The latter is usually perceived as less problematic
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(November 15, 2015 at 12:17 am)Quantum Wrote: I guess there's also that psychological-philosophical difference between the risk of actively doing harm (or thinking one does) and the risk of doing nothing. The latter is usually perceived as less problematic

I suppose I don't see where doing nothing is less problematic
(November 14, 2015 at 2:20 pm)Pandæmonium Wrote: People are quick to want something to blame, and I can't blame them for that. When your child suddenly changes, or rather, you get a diagnosis that your child is unwell, you're naturally going to start looking for an explanation and hopefully a resolution.

This.  Especially as autism has a high probability of genetic cause and that would mean that the parents are responsible.  No one wants to be responsible for anything, anymore.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vaccines are a plot by big pharma! TaraJo 857 104818 October 4, 2014 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: Chas