Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deconverting
Deconverting
Have you ever successfully argued someone out of their religion or witnessed someone losing their faith in real time? Please share your stories. 

Feel free to talk about your own experiences where someone else made you an atheist, if that's what happened to you.

I am very interested in this topic.
RE: Deconverting
I can't find anyone around in real life who cares about it enough to need deconverting! So no. I do highlight the logical fallacies religious people say on Eastenders to my wife. She is so grateful!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Don't limit your answers to RL, either. If you ever did it online, or seen it online, do share.
And a question for the older members. Has any theist frequenting this forum ever lost their faith?
I saw it happen on the atheist experience a couple of times. Matt D managed to logic bomb some people so hard that they had to admit their beliefs were garbage and they came back later as atheists. They were really happy!

I felt like I had someone on the ropes online once, and they were inches away from seeing through the whole mess of crap, but then they dived back in at the deep end and doubled down on absolute nonsense to keep the fairy tale going. I was just debating them, not trying to hound them into deconversion.

I'd love to know if any lurkers have deconverted after reading stuff on this forum. Sign up and let us know! Big Grin
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
No i make people think about how irrational their faith and religion is because if you start saying god is the ultimate source of morality
i am going to take issue with that and say something.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
"If you get your morality from God, how come you're such a twat?" Big Grin

Index of my best videos
Yes, we've had a few deconverts here. I won't name names, though. If they want to share, they can.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(November 21, 2015 at 12:45 pm)robvalue Wrote: "If you get your morality from God, how come you're such a twat?" Big Grin

That's why it's important to find the right god!
The turtly god wants you to touch your genitals (while it is facing north), 6 times a day!

Very awkward while I'm at work!
The others just want your money.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
No one has done it by themselves, not on a reasonable time-scale anyway.

Anyone who is actually religious will take a lot of convincing because of the doctrine they've come to know and love. As well, most likely they don't know many other people who are Atheist.

I am guessing a lot of people who drop their Religion have had to hear multiple arguments beforehand, because they aren't exactly "eager" to become non-religious, especially with the general public's preconceived idea's about what they think the qualities that represent "Atheists" actually are.
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.