Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The notion of random
The notion of random
As a example of random let's talk about minecraft or any game really that uses random map generation. 

The idea of a map randomly generating is fascinating but is it truly random? yes and no. Yes in a since that

you get this map at random and no as it this map more than likely one of the many possible map combinations the

software can generate. In minecraft you enter a string of numbers and letters even special characters to generate a map.

That string itself when inputted will generate a map when used on another computer you get the same map so the idea of 

minecraft map  generation being random more or less again falls into the yes and no you are just loading a  possibility.

So the idea of random and a dice roll there is many variables one would have to calculate to see what number they would 

get if they rolled a certain way. Outside of a dice roll are we random or not that would be yes we are random don't ask silly questions.

But what about AI they certainly are getting smarter the MIT AI has the intelligence of a 4 year old.  So a AI it has intelligence 

do we know if the AI is bound to randomness or not? more than likely not and at the same time yes.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: The notion of random
I love the randomness of this thread. Can't wait to see where it ends up.

And yeah, I totally get the whole minecraft example. My three kids who play, got me addicted to that damn game.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Pigs should be kept in groups
pigs
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

As far as I know, computer generated random numbers are actually psuedo-random and not genuinely random.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
It's a floor wax and a dessert topping!
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
You can do it like random.org does: use a natural process that's easily detectable but not easily understandable. Random.org actually collects atmospheric radio noise and uses that as the input into the desired formula. Because atmospheric radio noise is essentially random, and is certainly not predictable to humans, the outputs are essentially random as well.

Of course, if you're not connected to a natural input, you need a pseudorandom number generator. I want to write a lot about this but I am at work so if I get a chance later I will try to help discuss!
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
I don't think it's really that big a deal to randomize numbers: you just need any kind of external input to form the seed.

If I wanted random, I'd probably make a function on the milliseconds between key clicks while a user enters his username or something. That is sufficiently unpredictable.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random AF Alex K 31 2834 December 27, 2019 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: Sal