Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
determinism versus indeterminism
determinism versus indeterminism
Leo-rcc wrote
(quote)
RE: What is a god?
Determinism and indeterminism are both concepts that divide both theists and atheists alike. Really, Ive been listening to hours worth of debates back and forth, to and fro, and nothing is even slightly conclusive.

Dan Dennett tried to make his point on determinism clear with the use of a digger wasp. This insect follows a series of genetically programmed steps in preparing for egg laying. If an experimenter interrupts one of these steps the wasp will repeat that step again. For an animal like a wasp, this process of repeating the same behavior can go on indefinitely, the wasp never seeming to notice what is going on. This is the type of mindless, pre-determined behavior is what people can avoid. Humans therefore are less mechanical in thinking than wasps, and show something that might be interpreted as free will.

The deeper philosophical issue of free will can be framed as a paradox. On one hand, we all feel like we have free will, a multitude of behavioral choices to select among. On the other hand, modern biology describes humans as mechanisms that follow all of the same deterministic rules as wasps or inanimate objects. How do we reconcile our feeling of Free Will with the idea that we are mechanical components of a mechanical universe?

Dennett gives his definition of determinism on page one of his book "The Elbow room: The Varieties of Free Will Worth Wanting": all physical events are caused or determined by the sum total of all previous events. This definition dodges a question that many people feel should not be dodged: if we repeatedly replayed the universe from the same point in time would it always reach the same future?

There is something like an infinite regress in the lines of determinsm and indeterminism tries to break that regress. Some pose that you have a choice up to an extent but in the bigger picture you will always follow a certain path. Indeterminism states that some events have no cause to begin with and therefore no set endpath. something is either caused or uncaused, with predictable or unpredictable actions and reactions that follow.

This stuff is enough to give people serious headaches.

I know of atheists that do not adhere to the notion of determinism, and some that do. I find the concept interesting but there is nothing really I can honestly say I think of the matter, both have valid points.
(unquote)

Leo-rcc- Hi I am glad that finally someone has some understanding on the issue of indeterminism and, what's more important for me, that there are also other atheists who consider it to be meaningful for atheism.
RD is pretty ambiguous on this issue in his TGD.
In many places he writes that evolution of life is not subdued to
chance, but when speaking of the "generic drift" he admits randomness.
In my opinion, if atheism is meant to be a persuasion act, opposing religious belief of common persons, and not only a philosophic debate between highly skilled people, than it should have a plausible explanation
to major random events of daily life especially with respect to illness and death.
Randomly illness and death are fore running horses of the carriage of every religious belief.
This carriage is capable of sweeping away even secular thinking people when they are in distress and are thinking "Why me?" .
In such a case, religion comes forward with the consolable answer of "God's will" whereas an atheist can speak only of "luck "or "bad luck".

In my opinion only admitting that random or other parallel notions such as chaos, chance, etc,, meaning finally indeterminism, are laws of Nature, is able to close a gap through which the religious belief in Fate
is imposing itself in the mind of people.
Jesus himself might have begun his career as a healer and swept away masses who will follow him in his new religion.

I have not the scientific skill in order to enter this controversial matter, of fight between determinism and indeterminism but I'll try some considerations which seem to me as being of common wisdom.

I think that an event taking place within the Space-Time coordinates could be considered as deterministic if it is a result of one previous event or of a definite number of previous events.
If such an event is a result of an indefinite number of previous events then it seems to me as being indeterministic.

Now let's consider the laws which are governing Nature .
Most of laws especially in the world of life are statistical ones.
Multiplication of the members within one species ,mutations ,evolution from one species to another, pools of genes, memes and alike are all but governed by statistical laws.
A statistical law may have a deterministic core but it's margins, the more farther you go the more it's data are indefinite.

Even the example of the wasp as quoted by you as a typical deterministic behavior, I am quite sure, is not excepted from statistical law, meaning that if taken a certain amount of wasps a part of them will behave as expected while another part, may be a smaller one will behave otherwise .

Let's take the issue of "free will ".
Our most basic perception is that almost every movement or thought of ours is totally random, whether involuntarily or of free will. That perception is by no means inferior to our rational perception or consciousness of nature, which we as atheists are putting forward as the mean for understanding the objective laws of Nature.

Therefore it is the duty of scientists, when studying free will, who oppose indeterminism to demonstrate the opposite way, on which they can only speculate but never demonstrate.
Such a demonstration is not of the same category as evolution of science which we see in continuous progress.
It is an absolute impossibility to trace back all events in regress of an indefinite time and of an indefinite multitude previous to free will.

I dare say that what is not by any means even theoretically demonstrable is in effect inexistent.

That means that determinism and indeterminism are practically two aspects of the same reality.

Let's analyze another aspect in the area of the exact sciences: the infinitisemal calculus.
This calculus is based on entities as small as one can imagine of indefinite value.
The individual infinitisemal value may be indefinite but it's relation to other infinitisemal values are definite.
These are the bases of differential and integral calculus which play an important role in mathematics, physics and other sciences.
In other words indefinite and finite values are two aspects of the same measures.
Is this also a proof of the duality of determinism /indeterminism? In my opinion –yes it is
If other members do not agree let’s debate ,it could be pretty interesting.
RE: determinism versus indeterminism
Mutation is random but natural selection isn't. A human being is made up of about 100 trillion cells. And all these cells are unconscious, unintelligent biological robots. Yet when put together by evolution you get a human being which is conscious and can be capable of many amazing things (although they're only amazing to us humans as far as we know).
I agree with Dan Dennett that whether the future is determined or indetermined, its still going to happen. There's going to be a future. We don't know what that future is - there could be many many possibilities in fact - but there's still a future. We can't change the future either way so even if you believe the future is determined that doesn't mean you don't have free will. In the sense that you can still avoid bad things or try to reach the good things, etc. You can still have free will whether you believed the future is determined or not. Either way A future is still inevitable but what that future is we do not know. So you still have free will. It doesn't make sense to think "If the future is determined that mean is inevitable so there's nothing you can do about it". Yes, the future is going to happen regardless of what you do. Whatever happens, that is the future. You still have free will in the sense there's still evitability. It doesn't mean you can "change the future" whatever you do the future's still going to happen.
So the point is that predetermined does not mean you don't have free will. You are just as free as you've always been! Whether the future is determined or not. Its still going to happen and you still have free will in the same sense you've always had.
Hi there Josef,

(December 13, 2008 at 1:44 pm)josef rosenkranz Wrote:
'Leo-rc Wrote:Determinism and indeterminism are both concepts that divide both theists and atheists alike. Really, Ive been listening to hours worth of debates back and forth, to and fro, and nothing is even slightly conclusive.

Dan Dennett tried to make his point on determinism clear with the use of a digger wasp. This insect follows a series of genetically programmed steps in preparing for egg laying. If an experimenter interrupts one of these steps the wasp will repeat that step again. For an animal like a wasp, this process of repeating the same behavior can go on indefinitely, the wasp never seeming to notice what is going on. This is the type of mindless, pre-determined behavior is what people can avoid. Humans therefore are less mechanical in thinking than wasps, and show something that might be interpreted as free will.

The deeper philosophical issue of free will can be framed as a paradox. On one hand, we all feel like we have free will, a multitude of behavioral choices to select among. On the other hand, modern biology describes humans as mechanisms that follow all of the same deterministic rules as wasps or inanimate objects. How do we reconcile our feeling of Free Will with the idea that we are mechanical components of a mechanical universe?

Dennett gives his definition of determinism on page one of his book "The Elbow room: The Varieties of Free Will Worth Wanting": all physical events are caused or determined by the sum total of all previous events. This definition dodges a question that many people feel should not be dodged: if we repeatedly replayed the universe from the same point in time would it always reach the same future?

There is something like an infinite regress in the lines of determinsm and indeterminism tries to break that regress. Some pose that you have a choice up to an extent but in the bigger picture you will always follow a certain path. Indeterminism states that some events have no cause to begin with and therefore no set endpath. something is either caused or uncaused, with predictable or unpredictable actions and reactions that follow.

This stuff is enough to give people serious headaches.

I know of atheists that do not adhere to the notion of determinism, and some that do. I find the concept interesting but there is nothing really I can honestly say I think of the matter, both have valid points.

Leo-rcc- Hi I am glad that finally someone has some understanding on the issue of indeterminism and, what's more important for me, that there are also other atheists who consider it to be meaningful for atheism.

Some understanding is the correct term. There is a lot to digest. That it is meaningful for Atheism, I guess that depends on the atheist you ask. I feel that indeterminism does play a role in the grand scheme of things. I don't think the concept of indeterminism is something that is a prerequisite to a disbelief in gods.

(December 13, 2008 at 1:44 pm)josef rosenkranz Wrote: RD is pretty ambiguous on this issue in his TGD.
In many places he writes that evolution of life is not subdued to chance, but when speaking of the "generic drift" he admits randomness.

I think not going in-depth into this topic specifically in TGD is a conscious choice by Richard since you can fill 3 volumes the size of TGD on the subject of indeteminism alone. I also think he would rather leave this debate to Dan Dennett.

(December 13, 2008 at 1:44 pm)josef rosenkranz Wrote: In my opinion, if atheism is meant to be a persuasion act, opposing religious belief of common persons, and not only a philosophic debate between highly skilled people, than it should have a plausible explanation to major random events of daily life especially with respect to illness and death. Randomly illness and death are fore running horses of the carriage of every religious belief. This carriage is capable of sweeping away even secular thinking people when they are in distress and are thinking "Why me?". In such a case, religion comes forward with the consolable answer of "God's will" whereas an atheist can speak only of "luck "or "bad luck".

I think it is very human to not like luck, and as a poker player I hate it even more if its bad. Smile Passing the the buck to a third person ("god's will") can console that person, but that in no way proves that it is true.

The immediate question raised by this is, how would we test luck or god's will?

(December 13, 2008 at 1:44 pm)josef rosenkranz Wrote: In my opinion only admitting that random or other parallel notions such as chaos, chance, etc,, meaning finally indeterminism, are laws of Nature, is able to close a gap through which the religious belief in Fate is imposing itself in the mind of people.

I am not following, could you elaborate on this?

(December 13, 2008 at 1:44 pm)josef rosenkranz Wrote: Jesus himself might have begun his career as a healer and swept away masses who will follow him in his new religion.

Well being a good orator is already good enough to make people follow you to the grave. I don't think indeterminism comes in to play there.

(December 13, 2008 at 1:44 pm)josef rosenkranz Wrote: I have not the scientific skill in order to enter this controversial matter, of fight between determinism and indeterminism but I'll try some considerations which seem to me as being of common wisdom.

Let's see.

(December 13, 2008 at 1:44 pm)josef rosenkranz Wrote: I think that an event taking place within the Space-Time coordinates could be considered as deterministic if it is a result of one previous event or of a definite number of previous events.

If such an event is a result of an indefinite number of previous events then it seems to me as being indeterministic.

Well deterministic proponents would argue that the causes are definite, we only have no knowledge to some of them. The picture might not be complete to us, but not automatically mean it is indeterministic.

(December 13, 2008 at 1:44 pm)josef rosenkranz Wrote: Now let's consider the laws which are governing Nature .
Most of laws especially in the world of life are statistical ones.
Multiplication of the members within one species ,mutations ,evolution from one species to another, pools of genes, memes and alike are all but governed by statistical laws.
A statistical law may have a deterministic core but it's margins, the more farther you go the more it's data are indefinite.

Again that could be argued since our total picture might not be complete.

(December 13, 2008 at 1:44 pm)josef rosenkranz Wrote: Even the example of the wasp as quoted by you as a typical deterministic behavior, I am quite sure, is not excepted from statistical law, meaning that if taken a certain amount of wasps a part of them will behave as expected while another part, may be a smaller one will behave otherwise .

But as to date, none ever displayed any other behaviour. This behaviour is hard wired into every digger wasp, and it would take quite some work to remove that again by means of some evolutionary advantage to forsake such behaviour.

(December 13, 2008 at 1:44 pm)josef rosenkranz Wrote: Let's take the issue of "free will ".
Our most basic perception is that almost every movement or thought of ours is totally random, whether involuntarily or of free will. That perception is by no means inferior to our rational perception or consciousness of nature, which we as atheists are putting forward as the mean for understanding the objective laws of Nature.

I agree.

(December 13, 2008 at 1:44 pm)josef rosenkranz Wrote: Therefore it is the duty of scientists, when studying free will, who oppose indeterminism to demonstrate the opposite way, on which they can only speculate but never demonstrate. Such a demonstration is not of the same category as evolution of science which we see in continuous progress. It is an absolute impossibility to trace back all events in regress of an indefinite time and of an indefinite multitude previous to free will.

This does not follow, determinism can just set its boundaries or goals very wide, allowing for individual choices along the way which seem as free will. It is a way of moving the goal posts I admit, but it is a common argument. The achievements of the goals are reactionary and only verifiable after the event.

(December 13, 2008 at 1:44 pm)josef rosenkranz Wrote: I dare say that what is not by any means even theoretically demonstrable is in effect inexistent.

I would agree with that.

(December 13, 2008 at 1:44 pm)josef rosenkranz Wrote: That means that determinism and indeterminism are practically two aspects of the same reality.

Let's analyze another aspect in the area of the exact sciences: the infinitisemal calculus.
This calculus is based on entities as small as one can imagine of indefinite value.
The individual infinitisemal value may be indefinite but it's relation to other infinitisemal values are definite.
These are the bases of differential and integral calculus which play an important role in mathematics, physics and other sciences.
In other words indefinite and finite values are two aspects of the same measures.

There is a link, you need one to have the other, otherwise the other has no meaning.

(December 13, 2008 at 1:44 pm)josef rosenkranz Wrote: Is this also a proof of the duality of determinism /indeterminism? In my opinion –yes it is
If other members do not agree let’s debate ,it could be pretty interesting.

I would not call it proof, but it would be a start for a case that the duality might be proven.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I think perhaps we live in a deterministic universe that also has free will. Because the "free will" that we think of is in the brain. And built up through evolution. We will still have the same "free will" we've always had whether we believe the future is determined or not. Either way, the future is going to happen. We just don't know what that future will be.
I guess perhaps the only relevance is time travel or something? Or some way of knowing the future? If only one future is detected then its determined. If there are several then it could go either way. But whichever way it ever DOES go, that's what "the future" is? The future is going to happen no matter what.
Something like that?
(In response to the original post)

Hmmm. To be honest it looks like you are redefining the words in order to make them support your argument. Determinism isn't simply an event that has a definite number of causes, and indeterminism isn't simply an event with an indefinite number of causes. Determinism and indeterminism can only apply on the basis that everything in reality is known, and therefore you could see cause and effect completely.

In fact this is why indeterminism and determinism are not branches of science but that of philosophy. Science has commented on indeterminism by saying that the principle of uncertainty (if true) means that aspects of nature are truly random and spontaneous, but this in no way confirms either.

There is a further paradox which sets indeterminism and determinism into philosophy; the fact that an indeterministic and deterministic universe would look exactly the same to an internal observer (i.e. us). There is literally no way we can "re-run" time to see which is true.
So its either both. Or within science its more, neither until either could be possibly confirmed by knowing everything and knowing the future? Which probably will never happen in my eyes at least.
And btw Adrian you were replying to me right?
But what I mean is that free will is compatible with both. Because why wouldn't we have the same free will we always have? We will still have evitability right? Why wouldn't we?
Smile
This is a good topic.
No, I as replying to the original post. Everyone snuck in before I clicked "Post Reply".
AhSmile it was hard for me to tell. One minute I thought it was me then the next I thought it was addressing the topic. LolSmile
(December 13, 2008 at 4:01 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I agree with Dan Dennett that whether the future is determined or indetermined, its still going to happen. There's going to be a future. We don't know what that future is - there could be many many possibilities in fact - but there's still a future. We can't change the future either way so even if you believe the future is determined that doesn't mean you don't have free will. In the sense that you can still avoid bad things or try to reach the good things, etc. You can still have free will whether you believed the future is determined or not. Either way A future is still inevitable but what that future is we do not know. So you still have free will. It doesn't make sense to think "If the future is determined that mean is inevitable so there's nothing you can do about it". Yes, the future is going to happen regardless of what you do. Whatever happens, that is the future. You still have free will in the sense there's still evitability. It doesn't mean you can "change the future" whatever you do the future's still going to happen.
It is not clear to me what you mean here. Of course, that there is going to be some future is inevitable, but the question is whether a specific future is inevitable. We like to think so but the laws of nature seem to indicate otherwise. They indicate that our 'choices' are not choices at all but inevitable results from the state of the universe prior to our 'choice'. Prior to our 'choice' the neurons in our brain were firing as they were firing, and only by that precise way the were firing our choice would result. There is no choice on this level (the level of neuron firing in the brain). There is no litttle man in our head, making decisions and making the neurons go that way or another.

I suspect that the free will question misadresses somehow the relation of choice on the human behavourial level and the processes on the microscopic level underlying human decision making.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
Yes. What I mean is that we still have free will. A lot of believers seem to think that determinism can't be true because if it was we wouldn't/couldn't have free will. But this is of course nonsense. We'd always have the free will we always had. To say the future is determined is not to say that you have no free will. If you knew the future and it was inevitible. That doesn't really make sense does it? If you knew that someone was going to attack you from behind does that mean you couldn't look behind you?? I don't see how it could. You don't lose your free will. You would have the same free will you always had. If the future is predetermined that does not mean there is no evitability. You still have free will.
So yes the whole free will thing should get out of the picture. Because you can have have and would still have 'free will' whether the universe is deterministic or indeterministic.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge LadyForCamus 471 67456 February 17, 2016 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Cartoons: propaganda versus the giant gorilla Deepthunk 4 1852 October 19, 2015 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Deepthunk
  Jerry Coyne's new book: Faith Versus Fact Mudhammam 17 5918 August 13, 2015 at 12:22 am
Last Post: smsavage32
  Dawkins' Necker Cube, Physical Determinism, Cosmic Design, and Human Intelligence Mudhammam 0 1682 August 28, 2014 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Dawkins and Determinism naimless 48 17688 February 19, 2013 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: naimless
  Determinism mem 34 11021 June 29, 2010 at 6:58 am
Last Post: Caecilian
  Determinism Tabby 18 7095 August 10, 2009 at 1:57 am
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki
  Atheism versus Destiny josef rosenkranz 2 5009 September 7, 2008 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: Jason Jarred