Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 2:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earthquake in Ottawa
Earthquake in Ottawa
There was a serious earthquake here yesterday afternoon. It wasn't so bad as to damage the house or hurt anyone, but it was a little scary. I have felt about 10 of them before, but never this strong. It was crazy. The whole city is shaken (get it?).

I just thought I would share that. Thank you,
-Pip
RE: Earthquake in Ottawa
That quake was felt (slightly) all the way down to Grand Rapids, Michigan. That never happens, so it kind of freaked everyone out. It didn't really cause any damage, did it? Wasn't it a 5.2 or some such?
Supposedly Boston felt it, But I didn't notice.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(June 24, 2010 at 8:37 am)Eilonnwy Wrote: Supposedly Boston felt it, But I didn't notice.

Nah...that was Giambi homering off Papelbon in the 9th!
Meka leka hi meka heiny ho.
There was no damage anywhere in the city to speak of, although the little town over top where the quake happened got it pretty bad. We felt it, and there was no mistaking or missing it. It was long enough to hold on to the walls and think "oh, shit" about 20 or 25 times... The last few jolts were serious, shit flew off walls, shit fell of the fridge. There was this strange sensation that the floor under you was almost liquid. It was neat now that it's over, but I'm not gonna say I wasn't shitting myself. All the others I've heard (this is an active area) are higher in pitch, like a vibration. This was oscillating slower, we (and many others I've talked to) thought it was the dryer fucking up for the first second, it was that rhythm. And some people heard a crack or a boom, we did not in the house. Hooray tectonics!
Glad to know that everyone is ok after this...

However, there are a few, too many, that are wondering if "god" is angry..........Tongue

Which I'm sure a few centuries ago and + that; they were wondering the same...
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
(June 24, 2010 at 3:01 pm)Pippy Wrote: There was no damage anywhere in the city to speak of, although the little town over top where the quake happened got it pretty bad. We felt it, and there was no mistaking or missing it. It was long enough to hold on to the walls and think "oh, shit" about 20 or 25 times... The last few jolts were serious, shit flew off walls, shit fell of the fridge. There was this strange sensation that the floor under you was almost liquid. It was neat now that it's over, but I'm not gonna say I wasn't shitting myself. All the others I've heard (this is an active area) are higher in pitch, like a vibration. This was oscillating slower, we (and many others I've talked to) thought it was the dryer fucking up for the first second, it was that rhythm. And some people heard a crack or a boom, we did not in the house. Hooray tectonics!

Oh MY Pip!!PanicShock

Glad to hear that everyone is okay....

Looking at the google app for earthquake watch it seems that the Pacific rim is being a bit active (especially over the last two days)

I do love Plate Tectonics... I would hazard that "Mother has forgotten to take her 'Earth Control' pills again"
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Sorry to hear that Pip,glad you're OK

My city is built on a fault line. The last quake here anyone noticed was in 1954. I was 6 and slept through it. It cracked one of the steel-reinforced concrete lintels in our house.

http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/minerals/earthq...ollections
I felt the quake here in Toronto. I was at work at a very heavy duty work table which was on a very heavy duty cement floor. Everything started rhythmically shaking, and there was no big machinery driving past either, which wouldn't have shaken things anyways.
I'm really shitty at giving kudos and rep. That's because I would be inconsistent in remembering to do them, and also I don't really want it to show if any favouritism is happening. Even worse would be inconsistencies causing false favouritisms to show. So, fuck it. Just assume that I've given you some good rep and a number of kudos, and everyone should be happy...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  California Earthquake StuW 14 1599 August 25, 2014 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  Earthquake in VA thesummerqueen 21 3635 August 24, 2011 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen