Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life existing beyond our space-time dimension
Life existing beyond our space-time dimension
We are trapped in our 3 dimensional world. We cannot enter the past or the future. We only exist inside of the present. Our species called man has wondered about life in other areas of the universe, imagination ranging from: can life organize itself on other planets? can other forms of life exist on jupiter, the cloudy planet . . . can life exist in other parts of the universe in which we have not comprehended yet?

i want to take this concept even farther.

what kinds of life would exist inside of the 4th dimensional world?
they would have to be creatures that are not trapped by the laws of time. In the 4th dimension you can imagine that the past, present and future all are in unison with eachother. therefore the concept of time would not be in existence. In the 4th dimension you can picture this realm like this: The motion of you walking form point a to point b would all blend in with eachother. Most likely our eyes and brains cannot comprehend what an entire universe in the 4th dimension would look like. However, this is beyond our comprehension. To believe that there is life on other planets is an idea many love to believe, yet we have no evidence of it. However, take this imagination farther and think of life beyong our 3 dimensional world. Creatures that are not trapped by the laws of past, present, and future would have to exist. This puts the concept of eternity in understanding. for a life to exist for an eternity. of course you can develop more ideas by expanding into the 6th dimension and ultimately the 9th dimension. but imagine the 4th. The idea of aliens in our 3-dimensional world actually becomes expanded when thinking in terms like this. This also makes the claim that how can God be everywhere at the same time? how can God be omi-present and exist in all areas of the universe at the same time. In the 4th dimension, you would not be limited by the laws of space and time. The 4th dimension would enable you to actually create a 3-dimensional world . . . just as we 3-dimensional creatures can create a 2-dimensional creation ourselves. The computer screen you are looking into is 2-dimensional and is functionable and reacting. It can process and think, and make choices for itself. However, to take this concept into a bigger scale and imagine life in the 4th dimension . . . it will be very hard to comprehend this realm . . .being that no one has been to the 4th dimension and came back to tell us 3-dimensional creatures what it is like.
[Image: britishatheist.jpg]
RE: Life existing beyond our space-time dimension
According to quite a big bunch of theoretical physicists we live in a 11-dimensional reality already. But why on earth would you wanna speculate about life outside this reality? Are you planning to write an SF novel or thinking about beginning your own religion. Oh and please define what "outside" means in this context.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
Stop that! This is too silly!
You have posed two questions here. The business about the 4th dimension, I am afraid, makes no sense to me at all. The part about life outside our space dimension is quite another matter. I would seriously doubt there is any organised life within our solar system, and not Jupiter! One of it's moons may hold possibilities- but I am much more inclined to believe there is structured habitation on planets in other solar systems. In fact, I would go so far as to say I would be amazed if there were NOT any inhabited celestial bodies out there.. somewhere.
That would be the same dimension as us... just a different neighborhood.

If the theories that there are a dozen or so dimensions to our space/time and that we can only see three of them (and experience a 4th, e.g linear time) are correct... then it is possible that life may exist in one of the other eight or so dimensions and we are simply incapable of detecting and/or interacting with it.
(June 25, 2010 at 8:43 am)British_Atheist Wrote: can life organize itself on other planets? can other forms of life exist on jupiter, the cloudy planet . . . can life exist in other parts of the universe in which we have not comprehended yet?

i want to take this concept even farther.

what kinds of life would exist inside of the 4th dimensional world?
That's basically the same question on whether life can exist in places which we have not comprehended yet.

The only sensible, rational and honest answer to your loaded question is: we don't know. To assert anything else about it properties or attributes is pure speculation at this point.
(June 25, 2010 at 8:43 am)British_Atheist Wrote: The only sensible, rational and honest answer to your loaded question is: we don't know. To assert anything else about it properties or attributes is pure speculation at this point.

Exactly, we don't.

The whole idea seems very very possible but I doubt we'll know for sure any time soon.

Currently it's just based on pure assumption that we, on this small ass planet in the middle of some random solar system within universe... are not the only ones.

To be honest, the more you tell yourself that we're not the only ones when you look at it that way, the more you'll believe it.
I'm on top of the world, and afraid of heights.
Brit Atheist Wrote:The motion of you walking form point a to point b would all blend in with each other.
they live in a cubist painting?
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
(June 25, 2010 at 8:43 am)British_Atheist Wrote: what kinds of life would exist inside of the 4th dimensional world?

The problem with this idea, as awesome as it may be, is any understanding of time. It's generally a problem I see with anyone making any assumptions about the 'dimension' of time in that we really don't understand anything about it.
The only real time-related anecdote we have that's been proven beyond a reasonable doubt is that time slows down at relativistic speeds to the traveller. This has been proven at any atom smasher, as particles travelling at near the speed of light can last far longer than they otherwise should due to the lorenz forces enacted upon objects at relativistic speeds.

But other than unproven theories and string theory, our understanding of time is extremely limited. It may not even be a 'dimension' in the sense that we typically think of.

That aside, the concept of life in a 4, 5, 6, or higher dimensional universe would be very... incomprehensible. It's literally impossible for humans to imagine a tesseract (a 4d cube) let alone complex objects or life forms, but I would never deny the possibility.

On that note, I would definately recommend the book "Flatland" which explores a 2 dimensional life form contemplating such scientific thought and 3d life form attempts to contact such a world. It's quite the food for thought when considering 4 dimensional life forms.
Tesseract

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-existing objects KerimF 81 21812 June 28, 2017 at 2:34 am
Last Post: KerimF
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15366 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4097 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Consciousness & Space-Time FallentoReason 23 6979 March 13, 2013 at 2:10 am
Last Post: Muslim Scholar
  An argument that disproves God possibly existing? Mystic 38 12501 October 27, 2012 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
Lightbulb Help me I'm watching myself die in time/my life is going by as I blink my eyes. constantgamer247 45 14271 May 13, 2012 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  Our Purpose In Life Loading Please Wait 80 14978 September 12, 2011 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Epimethean