Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Purpose In Life
Our Purpose In Life
I've always wondered why we are here, and what is our purpose.

I wanna keep my ideas simple and short.

Our "main" purpose in life, is to reproduce and have our species go on.
Our purpose as humans, is to have offspring and raise them well enough to have offspring of their own.
After all, we are animals.

We are here because our parents had sex and created us and so on.
That is our purpose. That's how we evolve. What other purpose could there be?

People try to tell me that living life to the fullest, and being a nice person is our purpose in life.
Those could be personal goals and all, but what will that accomplish 100 years from now, 200 years, 1000 years from now.

If your ancestors from 1000 years ago did not have any kids, you would not exist as we know it today.

Those are my thoughts ^.^
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
RE: Our Purpose In Life
If you wanted to strip the human experience of the sense of the numinous then yeah. It's pretty fair to state that the purpose of a living creature is as a carrier for code. It just so happens that our code is arranged in such a way as to make this particular interpretation less than satisfying.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
There is more to life than just this one role to carry our code.
But when people ask what is our main purpose in life or what is the purpose in life.
It is to create offspring.

Sure happiness and the pursuit of living life to the fullest is great.
But that doesn't continue the existence of a species.

I will feel very satisfied when I have my first child.
From then on, each child and grand child until I die will be a greater satisfaction,
That I have done my purpose in life.
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
Yep, satisfaction for the 1st, regret at the 4th. lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 31, 2011 at 6:42 pm)Loading Please Wait Wrote: Our "main" purpose in life, is to reproduce and have our species go on.
Our purpose as humans, is to have offspring and raise them well enough to have offspring of their own.
After all, we are animals.
Except I don't ever intend to have children. There are too many genetic diseases I've inherited, I am concerned about them becoming dominant in any innocent children I drag into existence. Not to mention there are too many people being born as we speak and the public healthcare in this country is utterly abysmal, no one looks after you here. I'm still waiting for a stomach operation for crying out loud. The analogy that we *must* reproduce because we're animals has shortcomings. If you take it literally, then you're basically asserting my life by your standards is "meaningless", which is demonstrably false, I'm there for family and friends - I make my own purpose for myself. ^^

Quote:We are here because our parents had sex and created us and so on.
Correct, but the circumstances of one's life or how they were born or created is irrelevant. Its what you choose to do with the gift of life that truly determines who you are.

Should I feel ashamed that I just quoted that, no bastardised that quote, from a Pokemon movie? Ugh... >.>

Quote:People try to tell me that living life to the fullest, and being a nice person is our purpose in life. Those could be personal goals and all, but what will that accomplish 100 years from now, 200 years, 1000 years from now.
You would've improved, or at least contributed to, enhancing the quality of life for generations to come. We're a cooperative social species. That's how we've survived up until now. We don't last very long if we start behaving like dicks towards each other continually.

Quote:If your ancestors from 1000 years ago did not have any kids, you would not exist as we know it today.
Correct.

(August 31, 2011 at 7:37 pm)Rhythm Wrote: It's pretty fair to state that the purpose of a living creature is as a carrier for code.
See my response to Loading Please Wait. ^
Quote:Except I don't ever intend to have children.

Same here: I'm 63 and had a vasectomy at 40.

I have never been able to discover a reason or purpose for life and could not care less.

We humans are just another species, and seem to be the only one which arrogantly believes it matters. IF there is a purpose to life,it is itself. Life was here eons before we came,and will be here eons after we're gone and the planet has shrugged of the damage we caused.Then our sun will die and so will all life on this planet, We are irrelevant,as is any given species,as is the earth itself, ultimately.. Thinking
We are here but there is no reason why we are here for any purpose.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Live life to the best of your abilities and enjoy yourself..... why spend a lifetime worrying about a vicious skydaddy??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Sex, Alcohol and Motorbikes.

Working for meCool Shades
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I do not know what the purpose of your avatar is... but it does seriously annoy me Tongue

I have no such purpose to reproduce. I am not an animal in anything more than a classification... just as someone who goes to the libertarian party for only the cake is not a libertarian in anything more than they happen to be in the room.

"We" are here because we are lucky. Or was that unlucky? I can never tell. Other purposes are as numerous as your understanding of their relevance, and are subjective... purpose itself being an individual's value statement.

Some of us really don't give a shit about humanity's future (ie: me). Fuck accomplishment for others: I live for me, and me alone. And if I don't like it: I will die, by my own hand if it is not bound.

These are my thoughts. You will notice they are different from yours. That is because of a fun little thing called 'subjectivity', and is why all discussions on 'the meaning of life' are complete and utter crock.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Purpose in Life Clueless Morgan 51 5352 April 3, 2018 at 11:17 am
Last Post: Astreja
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15360 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  What is our purpose here on earth? thool 101 9931 March 1, 2016 at 10:32 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4097 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Argument Against Divine Purpose MindForgedManacle 15 4255 October 23, 2013 at 1:32 am
Last Post: max-greece
  Purpose of life Mystic 37 14243 March 27, 2012 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Life existing beyond our space-time dimension British_Atheist 9 3424 August 1, 2010 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13