Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Childhood's End
Childhood's End
Quote:After peaceful aliens invade earth, humanity finds itself living in a utopia under the indirect rule of the aliens, but does this utopia come at a price?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4146128/

Anyone else planning on watching this?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Childhood's End
I'll give it a whirl.
One of my favorite sci-fi novels. I have been looking forward to this mini-series for ages! I enjoyed the first part last night. Pretty faithful adaptation (pun intended).
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Loved the book, not sure if I have much confidence in it turning out well if filmed.

Anyone remember the cluster abortion that resulted when they did Wrinkle in Time ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I bet the end has humans deciding it just isn't worth their precious freedom. Its how every film and book handles the subject despite the fact we are barely fit to govern on a micro scale much less macro.
Anyone remember I-Robot? All those MS5s wanted them to do was stay inside till they had taken over everything to stop people killing each other either due to incompetence or violence, the curfew was in effect but not permanently. Because they're tasked with everyones safety its highly likely there would of been much hugs and apology ice-cream for all afterward. Then an era of unprecedented growth, development, safety and prosperity would of been ushered in. With an AI leader tasked with those things and bound by the three laws all issues would ultimately be resolved to satisfaction. We would finally have someone fit for the job.
But no. Because Will Smith prefers to drive manually.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(December 15, 2015 at 2:31 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: I bet the end has humans deciding it just isn't worth their precious freedom. Its how every film and book handles the subject despite the fact we are barely fit to govern on a micro scale much less macro.
Anyone remember I-Robot? All those MS5s wanted them to do was stay inside till they had taken over everything to stop people killing each other either due to incompetence or violence, the curfew was in effect but not permanently. Because they're tasked with everyones safety its highly likely there would of been much hugs and apology ice-cream for all afterward. Then an era of unprecedented growth, development, safety and prosperity would of been ushered in. With an AI leader tasked with those things and bound by the three laws all issues would ultimately be resolved to satisfaction. We would finally have someone fit for the job.
But no. Because Will Smith  prefers to drive manually.

Actually, that isn't how the book ends at all.

And so far, from episode 1, it appears the TV show is fairly faithful to the book.   It's Arthur C. Clark, author of 2001 A Space Odyssey.  He's not shy of telling humans to ditch religion and embrace evolving into something better, even if it does cost our "freedom".

You should check it out before you judge it.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Sci-Fi has nothing worth watching.
DVR set. We'll binge watch.
(December 15, 2015 at 3:28 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Sci-Fi has nothing worth watching.

And Wikipedia has nothing worth reading.
Watching the first episode right now. I have not read the book by the author, though I have a couple of his other works.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Childhood's End: A.C Clark's book turned in to a Syfi series! Aroura 8 1915 September 13, 2015 at 10:42 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The End of Faith by Sam Harris Justtristo 1 1569 May 28, 2011 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  Mr. Jingles - a childhood nightmare Violet 13 3636 December 31, 2009 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Ashes1995
  End of the Universe Edwardo Piet 0 1766 September 28, 2008 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet