Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 3:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transition from single celled to multi cellular
Transition from single celled to multi cellular
Hi, this is a topic I'm interested in knowing more about. I found a few things on a brief google/youtube search, the jist of it that I got was that single celled organisms began to band together, but I am still struggling to understand how that eventually got to what we have today with a multicellular organism, which starts off as a single cell, and as it divides the cells become more specialized (even that process I am still trying to grasp but I think I kinda get the idea).

If anyone has any links to articles / videos (preferably videos with pictures I like that!) I would be interested. Or if its something simple that I'm just not getting and you can explain to me I'd appreciate that too Smile

Thanks!
RE: Transition from single celled to multi cellular
Listen to a TED talk by Bonnie Bassler called "How Bacteria Talk".
Her research concerns cell-to-cell communication, and it sheds light on how cells can organize and specialize to become organisms. I totally geeked out when I discovered her, she's my hero.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXWurAmtf78

Here's a link to it.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
Some animals such as tardigrades are interesting here because they have a fixed number of cells which I found very fascìnating.

It might also be interesting in this context to read up on siphonophores and other "colony" organisms.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 19, 2015 at 6:11 am)Mermaid Wrote: Listen to a TED talk by Bonnie Bassler called "How Bacteria Talk".
Her research concerns cell-to-cell communication, and it sheds light on how cells can organize and specialize to become organisms. I totally geeked out when I discovered her, she's my hero.

Thank you! That video was fantastic. 

I am starting slowly to get the picture, but what I would like (if it's out there) is some theory on the different stages that might have happened.

Edit: You know I feel kinda stupid now... I kept looking at these obscure articles but the wikipedia page on multicellular organisms has a nice break down of the different theories lol XD Reading up on that now...
You shouldn't feel stupid. Biology is so complex!

-Homer Simpson
(December 19, 2015 at 1:56 am)TheDeafPianoTuner Wrote: Hi, this is a topic I'm interested in knowing more about. I found a few things on a brief google/youtube search, the jist of it that I got was that single celled organisms began to band together, but I am still struggling to understand how that eventually got to what we have today with a multicellular organism, which starts off as a single cell, and as it divides the cells become more specialized (even that process I am still trying to grasp but I think I kinda get the idea).

If anyone has any links to articles / videos (preferably videos with pictures I like that!) I would be interested. Or if its something simple that I'm just not getting and you can explain to me I'd appreciate that too Smile

Thanks!

I am afraid there is nothing that is very simple without glossing over uncertainties.  The truth is while we have several working hypothesis of how multicellularity arose, there are many attributes of multicellular organisms, some at fundamental cellular and biochemistry level, for which the available working hypothesis do not yet offer good and consistent explanation.   So it is well possible that in further researching the origins of these attributes, we would be compelled to think anew.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When your self is expressed in a single webpage. . . bennyboy 9 1137 April 15, 2019 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  99 million Year Old Bird Transition Found Amarok 14 5466 June 9, 2017 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Single celled creature with functioning eye. downbeatplumb 19 6299 December 14, 2015 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Single celled Yeast evolve multicellularity theVOID 8 2494 June 30, 2011 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  For Statler - A Molecular Fossil Details Critical Transition To Life orogenicman 1 1258 November 16, 2010 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Single cell evolution Darwinian 1 1438 May 13, 2010 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist