Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just arrived and barely alive
Just arrived and barely alive
Just kidding, I'm in good health!

Anyways, I've been lurking this forum for some time figured I'd join. Been irreligious my whole life, but once I discovered the term "Secular Humanist" I knew that the lack-of-faith was the right one for me!

I'm trying to write a book with overtly atheist themes (It's fiction BTW) and my goal is to have it land on the challenged and banned books list so I can celebrate when Banned books week rolls around!
RE: Just arrived and barely alive
Let me be the first to welcome you, thus making me better than the people who welcome you at a later point.
Its nice to have you here. Could you be more specific about the themes?
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(December 22, 2015 at 10:59 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: Let me be the first to welcome you, thus making me better than the people who welcome you at a later point.

Well, a purity-obessed theocracy take over a nation, and a rebellious force which advocates education, secular government, and other good things seeks to overthrow them. Naturally, it's more complicated than that, I've got a whole NationStates nation devoted to what happens after the events of my planned story take place. Look up "New Vudnia" on NationStates if you want more details.
Quote:Well, a purity-obessed theocracy take over a nation

Ah.  Did you use the vatican or saudi arabia as your model?

Welcome aboard.
Welcome aboard.

Good goals to get a book banned.
Dying to live, living to die.
(December 22, 2015 at 11:12 pm)Stormcat Wrote:
(December 22, 2015 at 10:59 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: Let me be the first to welcome you, thus making me better than the people who welcome you at a later point.

Well, a purity-obessed theocracy take over a nation, and a rebellious force which advocates education, secular government, and other good things seeks to overthrow them. Naturally, it's more complicated than that, I've got a whole NationStates nation devoted to what happens after the events of my planned story take place. Look up "New Vudnia" on NationStates if you want more details.

I suppose in order to make the theocracy believable you would need to look into techniques to induce mass hysteria and control over a populace.
It would have to use sophisticated psychological programming inorder to convert its followers. Christianity gets most of its converts from children but scientology takes grown adults and uses a combination of cheap parlor tricks and complex methods of manipulation to distort their logic and perception of whats possible.
In order to guarantee conversion on a national scale those techniques would need to be perfected and aimed at high profile targets. Perhaps even employing the use of sophisticated technology to lay claim to powers they do not possess, it would be indistinguishable from magic or some type of mystic power. They would need to be at least mildly convincing to someone like you or me.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
Hi there, welcome Smile

Best of luck with the book!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Hello from Tennessee!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Velcome from se other side
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 22, 2015 at 11:12 pm)Stormcat Wrote:

You might try having someone invent a system that projects religious images and text into the sky. The crowd goes crazy and buys into the lie, and your heroes have to eliminate the central controls or take them over and put up "spoilers". Perhaps tie the generators into a vital system that would have to be taken down as well, Air Traffic Control or something?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just arrived from The Thinking Atheist Gwaithmir 20 3066 October 1, 2018 at 9:12 am
Last Post: OakTree500
  Just arrived dissily mordentroge 23 3102 September 13, 2014 at 7:02 am
Last Post: dissily mordentroge
  I Have Arrived Removed 11 2251 November 1, 2013 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  I have arrived... Baalzebutt 22 3940 January 26, 2013 at 6:47 am
Last Post: jonb
  I just registered just now! Emma_Hates_Islam 46 11980 December 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: Happy UnBeliever
  Leftyatbest has arrived. leftyatbest 18 3030 October 17, 2011 at 8:16 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  *yawn* Is alive BlackUnicorn 6 2809 March 3, 2011 at 4:52 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Delta 094204 has arrived Delta 094204 15 3534 May 7, 2010 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Unknown citizen has arrived Annabea 22 9133 May 16, 2009 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet