Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does this Sound Odd to You?
Does this Sound Odd to You?
A friend of mine, Michelle, has a cousin, Effie, who is 81 years old and lives across the road from me. Today Michelle told me Effie is in the hospital but she’s not sure which hospital. She said when she called they told her they could not tell her anything, not even whether Effie was there or not. Michelle thinks Effie’s granddaughter took her to the hospital but she doesn’t have the granddaughter’s phone number. This happened two days ago on Wednesday and the granddaughter has not called anybody to tell them what’s going on. Michelle found out Effie was in the hospital from a neighbor who lives across the way from Effie.

I never heard of hospitals not being able to tell people if a patient is even there or not. Have you?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Does this Sound Odd to You?
I know there are laws about who is allowed to visit a patient or not. There's also the doctor-patient confidentiality stuff. So I guess it's not surprising that they don't give out information to just anyone who calls either.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Yes.

When hospital employees aren't certain whether a disclosure is in violation of HIPAA  laws or not, they'll often play it safe rather than sorry. Otherwise, they might actually have to ask a question, or bother to find something out. 

Your friend's inquiry as to whether or not her cousin had been admitted, should have been answered. 

http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professiona...index.html
Pretty much how it is here as well. If you can't prove you're a family member (which is bloody hard to do over the phone), hospitals and private clinics aren't allowed to provide you with information about patients. The reasoning behind this is actually pretty sound - they don't want patients bothered by ambulance chasers and other assorted scum.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Odd family sayings zebo-the-fat 12 786 August 10, 2023 at 12:09 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  How Does This Sound? Rhondazvous 17 1499 February 7, 2018 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Songs That Sound Like They're From The 80's But Aren't Actually From The 80's Edwardo Piet 0 587 December 8, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What Does/Does Not Offend You? BrianSoddingBoru4 51 6244 December 22, 2016 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I hate odd numbers Ben Davis 40 3535 July 4, 2016 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I'm curious: What does your "inner voice" sound like, to you? MTL 40 3642 January 24, 2016 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  What Sound Does Yellow Make? :-D Post Your Favorite Discword Trope Here! God of Mr. Hanky 7 1866 December 25, 2015 at 12:12 am
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Gif with sound dyresand 1 829 August 27, 2015 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Okay, If Odd Rules Usually Reflect Prior Behavior Jenny A 8 1965 December 18, 2014 at 6:23 am
Last Post: abaris
  My Yawns DON'T Sound Weird!!! BrokenQuill92 17 3981 January 4, 2014 at 3:40 am
Last Post: ChildOfReason