Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odd family sayings
Odd family sayings
Does anyone have any odd family sayings?
Things that get said, but no one ever thinks about what they mean?

My wife has one, I'm sure she only says it to annoy me   "I'll do it just now, in a minute"   I always have to ask "which?"
(she is Welsh so I should make allowance for that!)     Argue
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: Odd family sayings
I'll have to think about that. I know we have some that are used so often that we don't even think about them being a family thing only.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I know of one. Will think on this some more.

When we (my oldest and I) met the toddler daughter of a friend and asked her name she responded with, "I'm A Door Bell".

Whenever daughter and I see a really cute little kid they are referred to as being A Door Bell.

That was a three year old's version of 'adorable'.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

My sister said to me once, of the aches and pains associated with something, "It's only pain. It won't kill you."

Perhaps true, but many things which cause pain do kill the people affected by them.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
A few I remember:

'Don't be afraid of the butter', usually said to a dinner guest. Means, 'Eat up, there's plenty.'

'[So-and-so] is a blister of a man.' (sometimes 'toothache')

'Yezzir going under the kettle.' Means, 'You fucked up and there will be consequences.'

'His tongue is hung in the middle.' Used for an honest, trustworthy person.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
My favorite aunt was once married to a man named Andy. He was about as country as you can get and our family has a list of what we refer to as Andyisms.

Examples - He wanted to buy a tampoon boat when what he was really looking at buying was a pontoon boat.

He told anyone who would listen about his hysterectomy - you can guess what he really had done.

Unique past tense (I think) - He didn't spend his money, he spun his money.

He wanted to get my aunt a hibachi so she could sit in it in the evening...he meant gazebo.

And we all use this one...before traveling he would reservate a room.

My uncle always use to call them small cars "Coyotes."
We've got a few things in our family, but not really unique to us, just oddball and small-corner turns of phrase. Dad was fond of some phrases for "hurry the hell up" or "get over here", though -- "mos' rickytick", "idi wa ba" -- coming from his time in the Army. "Dummkopf" was also a favorite of his.

We also have the usual Texanisms, which I made mention of in an old thread here about accent challenge. But can't find the thread or the vid.

I think my dad's favorite was, "Where's my drink?"
Thought of another 'Andyism'. Showed husband a new picture of grandson who started 7th grade today...he's getting tall and lanky or as Andy would say - he's talled up and leaned down.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Expanding My Family ABQ505 10 1079 April 27, 2022 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Things your family/friends have done you wish. Brian37 5 512 October 19, 2021 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists reminds me of meathead from "All in the family" TV sitcom Lambe7 14 763 July 29, 2020 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Family Resemblances? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 2101 May 14, 2019 at 3:22 pm
  Stupid Sayings brewer 52 2965 October 12, 2018 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A little advice on a family matter please NuclearEnergy 6 1138 August 27, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Would you have a relationship with a member of your immediate family? rado84 134 8067 October 11, 2016 at 3:22 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  I hate odd numbers Ben Davis 40 3607 July 4, 2016 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Does this Sound Odd to You? Rhondazvous 3 610 January 1, 2016 at 6:58 pm
  Taking care of elderly family being only child. Brian37 22 3850 December 12, 2015 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Brian37