Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:16 pm

Poll: What vegetables do you buy?
This poll is closed.
Fresh vegetables
68.75%
22 68.75%
Tinned vegetables
25.00%
8 25.00%
Eating vegetables is against my culture or religion
3.13%
1 3.13%
It's not against my culture/religion, but I don't eat vegetables anyway
3.13%
1 3.13%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fresh vegetables
Question 
Fresh vegetables
Okay, so I was making some pumpkin soup earlier when I remembered what someone once told me. In America pumpkin comes in a tin. That's the most disgusting thing I'd ever heard (well the next digesting after tinned meat/SPAM, also invented in America), even if it were available - who the hell would buy tinned veggies anyway?? And why? Why would you buy tinned stuff instead of fresh?

So I went down to Woolies earlier (the supermarket) and checked. They sell all kinds of tinned shit, but certainly not tinned pumpkin. Same with Coles. I was happy, however, to see that the aisle space given to tinned vegetables was not a lot. About one quarter of the length of one side of the aisle. Then there's various forms of pre-packed soups (given close to twice the space of the tinned vegetables), and then all the condiments (bar the spices) that woolies sells. Of course I'm assuming in America you can get tinned broccoli, tinned coliflour, tinned lettuce, and tinned celery as well.

Now I can imagine only one possible purpose for these foods: so that men can show they can't be trusted by their wives to do the shopping. "Didn't you get any of the vegetables I asked for?" "I got them all! Here they are, 20 tins of chopped veggies ready to cook! I got everything you could want, green beans, asparagus, baby carrots, potato, and of course tomatoes."

This reminded me of a time a couple of years ago when I used to work with an islander colleague who used to eat take-away seven times a day. For breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon smokeo, evening snack, and finally dinner. But occasionally he'd make his own food, "hey do you like corned-beef" he asked? I said "yes I love it" and he said "oh well you'll have to try some" - little did I know that his idea of corned beef was scooping it out of a tin and spreading it on white bread. "Uh no that's OK" I said. "This is the real corned beef" he said, insisting that the cured meat you might buy in the supermarket, or the home curing you might do to create it is not real corned beef. The next day his morning tea was SPAM sandwiches.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: Fresh vegetables
Canned foods are nonperishable, and thus will last a lot longer. Fresh veggies don't last very long.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Hello, snob, I think your organic, poor-hating commune misses you.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Quote:Canned foods are nonperishable, and thus will last a lot longer. Fresh veggies don't last very long.

Wait, so what you're telling me is that you believe taking a fresh vegetable and keeping it in a tin will somehow keep it "fresh"?
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
It will keep it edible. You can buy it in bulk, and put it in a shelf somewhere, and it will still be good a month or more from now. A giant bag of potatoes sitting in the pantry isn't going to fare as well.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

When my dog was on the green bean diet I gave him a can every day.  He didn't seem to mind and better him than me.
When I was a kid, we had a garden and mom would put up cucumbers (as pickles), green beans, and tomato sauce. We would freeze the sweet corn, and the neighbors up the road would give us tins of honey from their bees. We would get frozen sour cherries from a local orchard, those were fantastic.

All fun items to share during the crappy winters here. Opening a mason jar of green beans from our garden was a nice way to recapitulate summer.

I'm not a big fan of tinned vegies, but I get frozen mushrooms, beans, corn, and occasionally lima beans frequently.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(January 2, 2016 at 10:53 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Hello, snob, I think your organic, poor-hating commune misses you.

Tinned food isn't cheaper. If you're on a tight budget you're better off buying the cheap veggies likes carrot that can be had for $1-2/kg year-round, and of course rice. Pumpkin can be readily had for around $2.50/kg for much of the year as well (as it is right now as it happens):

[Image: pbVMnat.jpg]

If it did come in a tin it'd be very unlikely to be cheaper than (or even the same as) the fresh price.

No one would ever call me a vegetarian, or any sort of organic food fanatic. But I love to go to Farmers' Markets; most towns I've lived in have them, and I find small, local stores which offer fresh, local produce.

I love vegetables, especially cooked/steamed lightly, or as ingredients in foods I cook. I'm also a big fan of high-antioxidant dark fruits (e.g. blueberries) and dark greens. I've recently taken to eschewing sandwich bread for Romaine lettuce wraps from the deli... I'm still trying to wean myself of my processed meats habit.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

Catching Hell over eating fresh stuff, that is a new one, what is the matter with you !  LOL   Where are you by the way?
[Image: userfield_edit.gif] https://sites.google.com/site/fromthedeepoceanabove/  ..."when you look up in the sky you can see the stars and still not see the light"... 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Fresh fish onlinebiker 24 1649 May 8, 2020 at 3:24 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Just in: Fresh Melbourne murder mystery ignoramus 25 2366 July 9, 2016 at 2:23 am
Last Post: Aractus