Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fresh fish
Thumbs Up 
Fresh fish
We have a pond. I have been feeding the fish for years.

Now the tables are turning.

There are nice smallmouth bass (gills, crappie, brown bullhead ect. too) Best eating are the bass.

Unfortunately -they are not hungry. Ever. I have tried every spin cast lure, live bait and dry flies. Nothing..these big fat happy bastards will not bite.

Fine.

I found the answer. A K31. Swiss. 7.5 x 55 rotary bolt (straight pull) bolt action. Balistically identical to the .308 NATO military round. 

The trick is getting the water defraction figured accounting for depth.

I got one - with a perfect headshot. Net retrieval - and filleted the sucker. Enough for two. It's a biggased bass for pond grown....

Yum
RE: Fresh fish
You shot...a fish?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 6, 2020 at 5:09 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: You shot...a fish?

Boru

Yup.

Is that a problem?
Nope, just never heard of anyone shooting fish in a pond before.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 6, 2020 at 5:34 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Nope, just never heard of anyone shooting fish in a pond before.

Boru
Barrel's not very sporting, now is it.

Anyway, "When in doubt, C-4." (Thanks, Adam and Jamie.)
Sporting = doing a halfassed job of grocery shopping by injecting a level of failure into the act and thus wasting food.

I am hungry. I want to eat. I want to get my food in the most efficient way - minimizing the chance of failure and potential suffering for the animal I plan on eating.

To me - that is ethical. "Sporting chance" is what half baked cunts who are not serious about the job do.

They are just killing for the fun of it.

That's sick.

Edit to add.... Fish cooking.

Smells wonderful.....

Boru

Well, if they won't hit on a lure or bait it's not like you can hold out a frying pan and say 'here, fishy, fishy' and hope tonight's dinner decides to comply.

I suppose spear fishing could be an option.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(May 6, 2020 at 5:54 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:

Boru

Well, if they won't hit on a lure or bait it's not like you can hold out a frying pan and say 'here, fishy, fishy' and hope tonight's dinner decides to comply.

I suppose spear fishing could be an option.
I am looking for a good kid's bow... Something 30-40 lbs draw..... Untill then the K31 will do...
To be clear, I'm not objecting to shooting fish.  It's just the first time I've heard of anyone doing it.

Boru
I always ask myself, do I like fish? Do I like fish? One day, my father took me to the Nile, and he hunted fish, and he asked me this question, "Do you like fish, Ahmed?" I answered it, yes, of course.
He told me to think again, I told him I like fish so much it tastes delicious!
He laughed and looked at the Nile and said: "You have to differentiate between you like fish and you like to eat fish grilled with lemon, we do not like fish and the proof is that we deprive it of life to enjoy eating it ."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nemo the Fish brewer 5 429 January 7, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Should we be more humanitarian towards the fish we eat? Angrboda 14 1283 October 29, 2018 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is your favorite fish to eat, seabass? Edwardo Piet 55 5317 April 12, 2018 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Bear healed with fish skin. brewer 13 1829 February 3, 2018 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Just in: Fresh Melbourne murder mystery ignoramus 25 2366 July 9, 2016 at 2:23 am
Last Post: Aractus
Question Fresh vegetables Aractus 106 13529 January 5, 2016 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Thanks for All the Fish... Neo-Scholastic 16 2114 February 2, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Ate a raw fish eye to mock someone that calls themselves a fisherman. Violet 16 6671 July 26, 2011 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious