Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God's Promises
God's Promises
Joshua 17:18 says, "though the Canaanites have chariots fitted with iron and though they are strong, you can drive them out."

Here god makes a promise to his people. But then we read in Judges that certain people could not be driven out because they had chariots of iron.

I won’t quote Judges 1:19 here because different versions say quite different things. King James tells us it was god who could not drive the people out because they had chariots of iron. The NIV tells us it was the Israelites who could not drive the people out because their chariots had been fitted with iron.

This is just a Snickers bar. Anyway you interpret it, it comes up peanuts for anyone who trusted in god’s promises.

Human beings break promises all the time and we forgive them. We understand the extenuating circumstances that prohibited them from doing what they had sincerely wanted to do. But if god’s promises are no more reliable than the promises of humans, if they are subject to the same turns of events, how can we know that between now and the end time something unforeseen by god might happen to make it impossible to keep his promise of salvation? If god could not foresee his inability to defeat people with chariots of iron, how can he be trusted to foresee things that don’t yet exist?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: God's Promises
Mormons have no problem with God changing his mind on most anything whenever he wants. Guess reneging on some promises would not surprise them nor cause any burble in their faith either.

Why don't falsifiable claims ever result in a religiousite concluding their faith was thereby falsified ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

What god?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Genesis 15:18 - 'In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates.'

From the Nile to the Euphrates would include most (or all) of Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon and Iraq. Even the most vehement apologist imaginable can't make the case that the Jews ever controlled this much territory.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 3, 2016 at 3:41 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Genesis 15:18 - 'In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates.'

From the Nile to the Euphrates would include most (or all) of Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon and Iraq.  Even the most vehement apologist imaginable can't make the case that the Jews ever controlled this much territory.

Boru

Man told the truth right here. Where are the Jews today? Those phony proselytes running around the middle east ccalling themselves Jews don't have the slightest connection to Abraham.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

(January 4, 2016 at 7:41 am)Rhondazvous Wrote:
(January 3, 2016 at 3:41 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Genesis 15:18 - 'In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates.'

From the Nile to the Euphrates would include most (or all) of Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon and Iraq.  Even the most vehement apologist imaginable can't make the case that the Jews ever controlled this much territory.

Boru

Man told the truth right here. Where are the Jews today? Those phony proselytes running around the middle east calling themselves Jews don't have the slightest connection to Abraham.

Because well the jews were never slaves nor they went to Egypt or were slaves, the biblical jews never existed.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(January 4, 2016 at 1:53 pm)dyresand Wrote: Because well the jews were never slaves nor they went to Egypt or were slaves, the biblical jews never existed.

Even in the Bible, the Jews told Jesus that they had never been in bondage and he did not disabuse them on that.

Are you saying that there is no mention of Jews in extra-biblical texts dated B.C.E.? Or are you saying that Jews existed historically but the biblical depiction of ancient Jews is just fabrication?

--Voltaire

(January 4, 2016 at 3:21 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote:
(January 4, 2016 at 1:53 pm)dyresand Wrote: Because well the jews were never slaves nor they went to Egypt or were slaves, the biblical jews never existed.

Even in the Bible, the Jews told Jesus that they had never been in bondage and he did not disabuse them on that.

Are you saying that there is no mention of Jews in extra-biblical texts dated B.C.E.? Or are you saying that Jews existed historically but the biblical depiction of ancient Jews is just fabrication?

I had a bunch of information written out and my browser crashed but here is the gist of what i wrote 

Ramses II -  birth 1303 bc dead 1213

The account of Exodus takes place in 1446 bc. 

By the time the biblical account of Exodus happens Moses freeing the Jews etc. Ramses is already dead 
then who is the Pharaoh they are talking about. If you look at a map i mean even if they were to wander
the desert the jews really shouldn't have gotten into Egypt at all. The only way would have is they 
walked there on purpose but even then looking at Egypt historically speaking there was no village/town
or religion at all there during any dates what so ever. Historically speaking the jews never went to Egypt,
they were never enslaved at all.

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(January 3, 2016 at 2:58 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Joshua 17:18 says, "though the Canaanites have chariots fitted with iron and though they are strong, you can drive them out."

Wasn't this still the bronze age ?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

(January 4, 2016 at 10:30 pm)pgrimes15 Wrote:
(January 3, 2016 at 2:58 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Joshua 17:18 says, "though the Canaanites have chariots fitted with iron and though they are strong, you can drive them out."

Wasn't this still the bronze age ?

yes it was still the bronze age.

Code:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brazil's new president promises Christian Theocracy Foxaèr 36 4712 October 31, 2018 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  lies, broken promises, racism : the real Jesus jenny1972 6 1916 November 4, 2015 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12317 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6681 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad