Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newly deconverted
Newly deconverted
Hello everyone. 

After growing up in Christianity for 36 years, I realized one evening a few weeks ago that I no longer believed.

It was the most surreal experience of my life, far more than any "salvation" experience I've ever tried to have.

For the past 5 years, I've become increasingly skeptical, not just of my beliefs, but of my own motivations for believing and being a Christian.  I decided to start being completely honest with myself, thinking that my honesty would be the only true foundation to build faith upon, not realizing that the same honesty would eventually destroy my faith. 

I decided that if God is Truth, surely He would be found at the end of any honest search.  Furthermore, if God is Truth, and I'm being completely honest with myself, there's no argument or evidence born in the secular world that could possibly upset my faith.  Thus, I stopped being afraid of science and embraced it.  I stopped being scared of what educated atheists had to say about me and embraced the challenge of refuting them.  If God is Truth then Truth is God, so hiding inside my religious bubble no longer made any sense.

I never chose unbelief or made a decision to be an atheist.  I simply woke up from my dream and realized that I was one, because this is the true default position.

Christianity (more specifically, Pentecostalism) became my reality before I was old enough to think for myself.  This was the reality branded on my young mind by the people who loved me.  They were my parents.  They would never intentionally hurt me.  They were acting for my benefit, so that I would be with them for eternity.  I had no reason to doubt them or the hundreds of other adult authority figures who I saw gathering at church every week.  Aside from that, there was the very real terror that preachers and Sunday school teachers instilled in my mind about that place that all people would go to who did not follow the bible and live good Jesus-led lives.  This is why I have no tolerance for those atheists who deride Christians like they are some kind of subhuman disease.  While it's true that they might have a disease, they aren't the disease itself, but merely victims who don't realize they need a cure.

So, what cured me? 

My self honesty was just the first step.  The realization that I didn't believe was the second, but not the cure itself.  My realization of unbelief only initially made me suspect myself.  Briefly, I thought that my unbelief was my fault - that the unbelief was the sign that I was on a sure path to damnation.  Then, I began to study and educate myself.  I listened to others' deconversion stories and found a great deal of correlation which ultimately reinforced my position and told me that I was not being unreasonable.  Then, I started learning about the science that I always shunned as a believer.  Then, I started learning about other world religions and the similarities between messiahs.  Wow.  Finally, I started watching debates between famous atheists and Christian apologists.  It occurred to me that most of the apologists are a dishonest lot, just like I was, developing arguments to demonstrate how God COULD exist and using them as evidence that he DOES exist.  This is where I clearly saw the line between theism and atheism, and I realized that unbelief was a more honest and noble position.

I still have doubts about my new position.  I wonder if I'm just missing something and if I'm going to die one day and meet God, who's going to tell me, "You missed it, fella."  I am not certain that God doesn't exist, and I'm still open to the idea that he does, but praying for him to reveal himself has thus far brought no results but empty silence.

I want to believe and know those things that are True.  It isn't to my advantage to believe a lie.  If God exists, I would like to know this so I can believe.  In the meantime, I simply can't believe, no matter who much I might want to.

Thanks for reading.  Let me know what you think.
RE: Newly deconverted
Hey there, welcome!

What an interesting story, thanks for sharing Smile

The way I look at it, if God is a good guy, he will be happy with us living our lives as best we can and wouldn't demand us to worship him for the sake of it. If he's not a good guy, he doesn't deserve worship, and we couldn't trust him to keep his word anyhow. The cartoon characters religions present are insultingly infantile and surely bear no resemblance to any actual being of greatness, should there be one. I find it most likely that if anything is out there, it's just a being somewhere running a simulation and we've become aware inside it somehow. Or else this is all there is, or we are nested inside some other reality or something. Who knows? No one knows. It's the not knowing that many people find uncomfortable, and so feel the need to make shit up. Atheism is simply saying, "I'm not convinced any of these God characters or ideas are actually real." There is no evidence, after all. Just fallacious arguments and old books.

Even if I believed "God" was a real thing, I'd carry on as I am now, I see no need for religion. I find worship really creepy, and any sort of dogma dangerous. "God", if he's there, gave us a brain after all. We should use it.

I can't imagine how weird it must have felt to have woken up... I've never been through it myself, having not been indoctrinated. Congratulations on working hard and seeking the truth. Like you say, the truth need not fear investigation. The field of apologetics is the most dishonest "discussion" I've ever seen. It's mind meltingly awful and painful to watch. It's only aimed at placating believers, who won't look closely enough to see it's all hogwash.

You have been brave! Welcome to the real world Smile You'll like it here! You're not missing anything. It's all a load of garbage. It's man made myth.

There are bound to be emotional niggles after being indoctrinated. It's totally normal, and in general they do pass in time. Religion works through emotion, because it has no facts or logic.

Let us know any questions or doubts you have! We have people with all sorts of expertise here.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Welcome Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Welcome!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome!

Nobel position? I'm not sure about that part.

Keep hanging around. You'll get it figured out one way or the other.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome!
I was raised Pentecostal too.  I have described my de-conversion as burning down a house . . . deliberately.  Then you look for another place.  Then you realize that you might not even need one.
You'll like it here, I think.  Lots of good folks, very bright.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(January 5, 2016 at 1:57 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Welcome!

Nobel position? I'm not sure about that part.

Keep hanging around. You'll get it figured out one way or the other.

Intellectually honest, would be how I'd call it.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I find it surprising that you met atheists who thought of Christians as subhuman. I, myself, think religion is a sort of mental illness, in the most outstretched sense of the word, and that people suffer from it to different degrees, most of them I think to a lesser degree, which is very good and we couldn't coexist in today's world otherwise. I'm talking about genuine belief here. I'm sure there are a lot of religious people who only identify as such but don't really experience anything spectacular because of it. But I wouldn't for one second classify religious people as second-class citizens or anything of the sort. As far as I'm concerned, they are my fellow human beings and I would much rather seek out the potential for rationality and correctly applied compassion in them then the more troubling parts that make the world a worse place than it needs to be. I hope you appreciate my comment, as you asked for our opinions.

Welcome and I hope you find here a community to your liking, where you can continue on this journey of self-discovery and truth-seeking.
Welcome.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(January 5, 2016 at 1:39 pm)Old Baby Wrote: I wonder if I'm just missing something and if I'm going to die one day and meet God, who's going to tell me, "You missed it, fella."

If there is a God like that then he is unjust and we're all screwed - including the people who believe in him and kiss his ass. How can you trust an unjust God to not turn on you on a whim? How could you be in his presence without being horrified, knowing that here is an all-powerful monster with a bad temper, one who tortures souls for eternity for the 'sin' of being wrong about religion?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lifelong atheist, newly joined MikeXeno 47 9531 May 28, 2017 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Heart Deconverted Christian -- My Story: Complete with Pictures gillianseed 3 1564 June 16, 2012 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Annik
  Deconverted by theology. Ziploc Surprise 31 6413 November 4, 2011 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise