Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biblical Archaeology
Biblical Archaeology
Sometimes I see Christians saying that Archaeology proves the bible.I'm pretty clueless in the area of Archaeology(outside of Indiana Jones) so if anyone could help deal with this area that'd be great
RE: Biblical Archaeology
They're either lying or wrong.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
The vast majority of claims supporting biblibal archaeology are wrong or misinformation.

The Israeli archaeology foundation have been surprised to discover that the vast majority of duscoveries do not support or contradict the bible claims
Dying to live, living to die.
William G. Dever Wrote:"Archaeology certainly doesn't prove literal readings of the Bible...It calls them into question, and that's what bothers some people. Most people really think that archaeology is out there to prove the Bible. No archaeologist thinks so." From the beginnings of what we call biblical archaeology, perhaps 150 years ago, scholars, mostly western scholars, have attempted to use archaeological data to prove the Bible. And for a long time it was thought to work. William Albright, the great father of our discipline, often spoke of the "archaeological revolution." Well, the revolution has come but not in the way that Albright thought. The truth of the matter today is that archaeology raises more questions about the historicity of the Hebrew Bible and even the New Testament than it provides answers, and that's very disturbing to some people.

Wikipedia | Biblical archaeology : Expert commentaries
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I highly recommend The Bible Unearthed by Israel Finkelstein.  That will tell you all you need to know about archaeology and the bible.

Or, for less reading.

http://www.yorku.ca/dcarveth/false_testament
The pyramids were grain storage silos! Built by Joseph. Go ahead, look it up.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
LMFAO.
It's even worse for Mormons (although the hierarchy doesn't let the pew warmers know about too much of this stuff).

The Book of Mormon makes all kinds of claims and assertions about pre-Columbian America, absolutely nothing has been found, and the Mormon Church has spent quite a bit of moola looking. Mormon apologists are understandably reluctant to address this issue. On the rare occasions when they do, it gets extremely pathetic very, very fast.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I bet that fucking devil is planting phony evidence again.  That devil.  Such a kidder.
As others have said, it's bollocks. The bible is incredibly loosely based, at times, on real events. But often the events didn't happen at all.

It's all irrelevant, because a few accurate details in a book do not validate the rest of the book as true. Just knowing what's going on around you while writing something isn't particular impressive. The rest of it needs its own evidence, especially talking geese or whatever and little magic pixies.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Scripture Is False And The Biblical God Is Dead. Authari 301 20098 January 27, 2023 at 7:45 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Logical Disproofs of a Biblical Type God JohnJubinsky 28 2435 June 14, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Near death experiences are not biblical and the bible itself debunks them (Proof) LetThereBeNoGod 0 1132 February 16, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  Would atheist worship The biblical God if his existence was proven? Sinnersburninhell100 110 24455 January 13, 2014 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: JuliaL