Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK church attendance
UK church attendance
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/chu...ce-7167363.

Things looking grim for the church in the UK.

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

RE: UK church attendance
Attendance below 1,000,000 for the first time?  That's not possible is it?

In the beginning there were two; one was a fool.
Quote:The decline is thought to be down to a growing number of people who do not believe in God and the ageing profile of worshippers, approximately 1% of whom die each year.

Lie number 1; They're in the terminal stages of logarithmic decline losing 25% of their congregation over a period equal to the difference between average age of the congregation and life expectancy. That's now below 5 years so 1% is wildly optimistic and smacks of untrustworthy statistical reporting.
Interesting that they claim British society is now "Anti-christian" when the core reason for the decline is the church's own culture being anti-British-society. I suspect some attempt at blame shifting here, the catastrophic level of collapse can only have originated in the pulpit, not that they'll admit it.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
As long as it continues to go down the crapper all will be well.
Maybe after 500 years it is finally sinking in; how could the Church of England ever possibly be the one true faith ??

Ludicrous in it's inception, pompous and self serving in it's execution, and ready now at last for the dustbin of history.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Perhaps, but as one of the more moderate examples I'm concerned by what variety of guano will supplant it.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Well, but Mosque attendance is resistant...
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

52% of declared muslims attend a mosque compared to 10% church attendance of declared christians, however there is coercion involved which makes me think the figures are inflated.
-Esquilax

(January 13, 2016 at 11:35 am)Mr Greene Wrote: 52% of declared muslims attend a mosque compared to 10% church attendance of declared christians, however there is coercion involved which makes me think the figures are inflated.

Unfortunately it is impossible to know the exact numbers on coercion, but we do know popular cases of people that face harassment, discrimination and other forms of segregation if they don't play along. I mean, it's not just Muslims, I used to know this Jehovah's witness who openly said she'd kick her children out of the house if they refused to follow the same faith.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(January 13, 2016 at 10:52 am)mediocrates Wrote: Attendance below 1,000,000 for the first time?  That's not possible is it?

In the beginning there were two; one was a fool.

And the other, a fool or a crook.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1239 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4153 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Church update:children's church k2490 15 10518 June 26, 2013 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Rahul