Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 1, 2024, 12:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Grand Daughter
My Grand Daughter
I don't know if this belongs here or in the religion thread but I just had to vent.

My Grand Daughter, who is a single mother, is trying to buy a house and asked me if I would co sign.  Of course I said I would help her in any way I can but the bank wouldn't accept a co signer and her last request was needing a larger down payment and I don't have to money to loan her.  I told her this and how sorry I was that I was unable to help and her response was "Oh no! I'm sorry papa! It's no big deal though! If I don't get this house then God has something better planned. Thank you! I love you"

This crap about God has something better planned pisses me off and I feel like telling her that she needs to depend upon herself and not some invisible creature in the sky but it would probably only alienate her.  She lives in Texas and I live in Arizona and we don't see each other all that much (like hardly ever).  It just pisses me off that this sweet young woman has become a pawn of the religious wrong and all I can do is grit my teeth and hope that someday she will learn to think for herself and not expect miracles that will never happen. 

So much for my rant.  Thanks for reading.
I ain't looking for help from on high
That's a long wait for a train don't come
RE: My Grand Daughter
Seems like the religious version of the "no sense crying over spilled milk" phrase. Just make sure she doesn't give up completely just because of one hurdle.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Maybe it's just her way of saying that, given the apparent troubles, her gut tells her that buying this house is maybe not such a good idea right now after all or it's not such a big deal -- and she simply couches her gut instinct in religious language?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(January 28, 2016 at 3:38 pm)madashell Wrote: I don't know if this belongs here or in the religion thread but I just had to vent.

My Grand Daughter, who is a single mother, is trying to buy a house and asked me if I would co sign.  Of course I said I would help her in any way I can but the bank wouldn't accept a co signer and her last request was needing a larger down payment and I don't have to money to loan her.  I told her this and how sorry I was that I was unable to help and her response was "Oh no! I'm sorry papa! It's no big deal though! If I don't get this house then God has something better planned. Thank you! I love you"

This crap about God has something better planned pisses me off and I feel like telling her that she needs to depend upon herself and not some invisible creature in the sky but it would probably only alienate her.  She lives in Texas and I live in Arizona and we don't see each other all that much (like hardly ever).  It just pisses me off that this sweet young woman has become a pawn of the religious wrong and all I can do is grit my teeth and hope that someday she will learn to think for herself and not expect miracles that will never happen. 

Does she know about your stance on the matter? If you really want to, try and talk to her about it in a non-confrontational way. I can't imagine you'll alienate her if you simply have a friendly conversation.
Let her make her peace with it, offer your support where you can, and don't worry yourself about her phraseology.

Don't read too much into how she phrased it, it might be nothing at all. She needs hope and support right now, so just focus on that
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(January 28, 2016 at 3:42 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(January 28, 2016 at 3:38 pm)madashell Wrote: I don't know if this belongs here or in the religion thread but I just had to vent.

Does she know about your stance on the matter? If you really want to, try and talk to her about it in a non-confrontational way. I can't imagine you'll alienate her if you simply have a friendly conversation.

She knows that I don't believe in God and I'm sure she didn't even realize what she was saying it's just the language she is learning being in a strong religious area.  I just mourn the fact that she is getting her guidance from so called friends that believe in fairy tales.  I could let her know how I felt about those type remarks and she would understand but I think it's best if I ignore them.  She probably feels sorry that I don't believe and I feel bad that she does. 

I had hopes that this girl would learn to think for herself and not be a joiner but she is naïve and wants so badly to belong that she's an easy target for those that have been brain washed from birth to believe in the invisible man in the sky.

As I wrote earlier, my best course is to ignore the language as it really doesn't mean anything but every time I hear that phrase God has a plan for me, I cringe no matter who says it.
I ain't looking for help from on high
That's a long wait for a train don't come
I do too. I usually ask, and what about gods plan for all those kids are who are starving? Or those who get struck down with a terminal illness? Or those who live where there are volcanic eruptions or hurricanes or tornadoes? I guess those people aren't in part of his plan for a happy life.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I would just caution giving in to thoughts like "so-called" friends, just because people happen to be religious.

People aren't by fiat stupid, malevolent, or incapable of giving sound advice or the "right kind" of support just because they are religious. My mother is about as religious as you can get, and she still gives me good advice and support all the time.

The best you can do and not be a hypocrite is to challenge her assertions with questions that make her think and come to her own conclusions. If her own conclusion is that there is a benevolent being out there looking out for her, and this comforts her, who are you to say she shouldn't, so long as it only affects you insofar as the idea makes you uncomfortable?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
The muslims say "Insh'allah."  It's the same meaningless shit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Daughter objects to prayers at school TubbyTubby 48 7561 July 10, 2015 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Wallenda over the grand canyon Manowar 6 1612 June 25, 2013 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: Manowar