Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daughter objects to prayers at school
Daughter objects to prayers at school
So last night my 10yo daughter told me she was uncomfortable with a recent trend of singing praise to some or other god at school (non-denom).

She asked me to request she be excused and is happy to leave the class/hall so just written the following email to the head. Very proud of her, she used to believe in a god a few years back and we left her to make her own mind up but I told her my thoughts on the subject obviously.

Also quite frightening when you realise the influence you have over children and how easily that influence could be put to work with a belief system.

Very proud dad!

Dear Mrs ******,

My daughter, *****, informed me last night that she is taking part in various prayer and songs that mention god lately and she expressed feeling uncomfortable about this. We are non-believers and hold a mixture of atheist/agnostic views in our family and I would prefer my children to grow up able to critically think about and question all beliefs without having any particular one held above the others as ‘the truth’. If she decides later in life to follow a religion then I want it to be her fully informed choice when she is old enough to do so. With this in mind, I would like to ask that ***** be immediately excused from any further prayer or praise activities to any type of gods. She has told me she is happy to leave the classroom or hall when this is taking place.

I hope I have not misunderstood the situation as I have only listened to what ***** has told me. I am visiting the school with ***** next Tuesday and am happy to talk with you then if we need to clarify anything.
RE: Daughter objects to prayers at school
Very good dad.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 8, 2015 at 3:31 am)TubbyTubby Wrote: Also quite frightening when you realise the influence you have over children and how easily that influence could be put to work with a belief system.
That is why I could never be that kinda monster like those from the Vatican.

Btw, it's "realiZe".  Tongue  Wink
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
(July 8, 2015 at 3:31 am)TubbyTubby Wrote: Btw, it's "realiZe".  Tongue  Wink

It can also be realise, especially if one is from the U.K.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I'm very impressed with both your daughter, and you as a dad Smile Did it work OK?

Hum, is your daughter's and her teacher's names swear words? Big Grin

I initially read it as, "She is happy to leave the class/hell..." I thought, whoah! That's a kid with some spine, prepared to go to hell for her principles already.

Dear Mrs. Fuckface,
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Realise = Equally valid. Most non-US English speaking countries do not use Z In '-ise'.

OP, excellent email. Good job you sanding up to indoctrination through the back door.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Awesome! Good job dad! That's a clever little lady you got c:
Clearly you have raised a kid who can think for herself and not just accept what everyone else says or does. Mad props to both of you!

How to think, not what to think, people. Parenting 101. This is how it's done!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Tub, I'm afraid you've made an awful blunder.

If your little girl doesn't sing to and praise a non-denominational being during school hours, it's plain as day that she's going to be sent to some sort of non-denominational afterlife where she may have to sit in the waiting rooms for aeons reading old magazines while the Powers That Be made up their non-denominational minds what to do.

Do you REALLY want that on your conscience?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 8, 2015 at 3:43 am)robvalue Wrote: I'm very impressed with both your daughter, and you as a dad Smile Did it work OK?

Hum, is your daughter's and her teacher's names swear words? Big Grin

I initially read it as, "She is happy to leave the class/hell..." I thought, whoah! That's a kid with some spine, prepared to go to hell for her principles already.

Dear Mrs. Fuckface,

You know the teacher then? Yeh, I always thought naming my daughter 'shithead' would come back to haunt me.

I only sent it this morning. I'll update progress later.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5238 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  What should I do if I'm being forced to go to a Christian School? Socratic Meth Head 51 11580 June 10, 2016 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: abaris
  My Grand Daughter madashell 12 2143 January 31, 2016 at 2:58 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  New Darkmatter video: If god answered prayers robvalue 0 888 January 25, 2016 at 9:50 am
Last Post: robvalue
  So, my son attends school at the church Easy Guns 44 8989 January 11, 2016 at 6:14 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Going to a Roman Catholic school and expressing my opinion. piterski123 7 3358 April 28, 2015 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  Anyone else an atheist while going to a Christian school? KentuckySkeptic224 7 3049 October 16, 2014 at 7:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  So my high school teacher is on the front page of the Huffington Post today... Mudhammam 22 5142 July 28, 2014 at 11:26 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Secularism in School Bob Kelso 24 5851 April 4, 2014 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  A new member. A Catholic school teacher. Mr. Moncrieff 105 20893 February 25, 2014 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda