Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On kids reading Harry Potter?
On kids reading Harry Potter?
Greetings all.

I wonder how many people here have read the Harry Potter books or seen the movies?

I have seen them all, and enjoyed them immensely. That said, I am not certain I would permit my (future) children to read them if indeed I had any.

If and when I find a humble,dutiful Catholic wife with whom to procreate with ( no contraceptives please!! Smile ) I think I might want to keep Jk Rowlings books out of their hands.

Idk, I just hear they can be a bad influence, and can lead kids to doing actual magic (wicca, tarot cards, Ouija boardss) instead of focusing on God and his son Jesus.

It makes me wonder, if Rowling is a Christian, as she claims to be, why do none of the wizards express a faith in Jesus?

Perhaps she she really was just "JK" on the whole christian thing Dodgy .

I suppose I won't be able to stop them from forming their own opinions after they become adults (pre 18 is a whole different ball park Wink !) but I should Id try to keep them on the xtian straight and narrow for as long as possible.

Any thoughts/concerns? Do the Potter books have an anti Christian message?
RE: On kids reading Harry Potter?
Just a random thought, if you were a wizard and lived in a land where wizards were common then you might not have seen Jesus as doing anything spectacular as far as miracles are concerned, walking on water, coming back to life, turning water into wine, wizards do most those things on an average week don't they?

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I seriously need to rage right now. Is it ok if I do it here?
The school let out for Christmas every year. The Weasley's, at minimum, decorated their home and gave presents. The only satan in those books is the one a reader brings with them.

But seriously, if you want to keep shit away from your kids, start with the Bible. The boys, that is, girls shouldn't be taught to read. Or is that slaves? I forget.
(February 7, 2016 at 2:45 pm)paulpablo Wrote: Just a random thought, if you were a wizard and lived in a land where wizards were common then you might not have seen Jesus as doing anything spectacular as far as miracles are concerned, walking on water, coming back to life, turning water into wine, wizards do most those things on an average week don't they?

That is one of my concerns.... Undecided
(February 7, 2016 at 2:39 pm)TrueChristian Wrote: Greetings all.

I wonder how many people here have read the Harry Potter books or seen the movies?

I have seen them all, and enjoyed them immensely. That said, I am not certain I would permit my (future) children to read them if indeed I had any.

If and when I find a humble,dutiful Catholic wife with whom to procreate with ( no contraceptives please!! Smile ) I think I might want to keep Jk Rowlings books out of their hands.

Idk, I just hear they can be a bad influence, and can lead kids to doing actual magic (wicca, tarot cards, Ouija boardss) instead of focusing on God and his son Jesus.

It makes me wonder, if Rowling is a Christian, as she claims to be, why do none of the wizards express a faith in Jesus?

Perhaps she she really was just "JK" on the whole christian thing Dodgy .

I suppose I won't be able to stop them from forming their own opinions after they become adults (pre 18 is a whole different ball park Wink !) but I should Id try to keep them on the xtian straight and narrow for as long as possible.

Any thoughts/concerns? Do the Potter books have an anti Christian message?

Here's hoping you don't breed.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(February 7, 2016 at 2:58 pm)TrueChristian Wrote:
(February 7, 2016 at 2:45 pm)paulpablo Wrote: Just a random thought, if you were a wizard and lived in a land where wizards were common then you might not have seen Jesus as doing anything spectacular as far as miracles are concerned, walking on water, coming back to life, turning water into wine, wizards do most those things on an average week don't they?

That is one of my concerns.... Undecided
 So,  if the other wizards are in league with Satan and JC does the same things, what can we conclude?
There are 2 bible passages in Harry Potter. They are both in the last book. She waited until after the last book came out to reveal that the whole story had a ton of Christian parallels.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Yea, though I walk through valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no Slytherin...
http://www.mtv.com/news/1572107/harry-po...n-imagery/
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post Your Reading List Here... median 3 2367 April 19, 2013 at 6:42 am
Last Post: StrangeQuark
Question Philosophical reading liam 21 8861 June 24, 2012 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Is it OK to have sex with kids? DrDolittle 46 10462 October 17, 2011 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Violet