Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it OK to have sex with kids?
Is it OK to have sex with kids?
And if not why not?

Most people agree that actions which harm others are wrong, but many actions are illegal which do not harm anyone and are known as victimless crimes. How can society justify criminalizing having sex with kids if it doesn't hurt anyone?

Many assume that a child will be 'traumatized' by having sex with an adult, however this is not true. Firstly ages of consent vary across the world (from 13 in Spain to 18 in California) - proof that there is no consensus on what the minimally acceptable age at which a person can engage in sex is. Secondly much of the 'trauma' (guilt, shame, victimization) felt by 'victims' is in fact caused by society, such as in the case of Africa's 'Witch Children', many of whom genuinely believe they are 'witches' - not because they are but because they have been told they are.

Suppose a child has consensual safe-sex with an adult in a society where this is permitted (and therefore not immoral/taboo etc). In what way would the child be harmed?
RE: Is it OK to have sex with kids?
Of course it's wrong. A child is emotionally and psychologically too immature for a sexual relationship, especially with an adult.

Godnose why you would think otherwise.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
The part of the brain that is responsible for reasoning and decision making is not fully developed until the early twenties. A child literally can't know what is best for them. I see this damage on a day to day basis. With sex comes consequences for which children are unprepared to handle.

It does hurt them, obviously more than you understand. A child might be willing, but what the fuck does a child know? They want it because it's attention, or they're curious. This doesn't give adults the right to take advantage of them.

n most (not all) societies sexual activity between adults and prepubescent children is taboo,and severely punished, sometimes with death, which I think perfectly reasonable.

Sex between adults and adolescents is another matter entirely in terms of morality.Until quite recently,puberty was the age of consent and marriage in most societies.

Eg in the UK and US, the age of consent for girls was 12 until the late nineteenth century.

Today, the age of consent varies even between states. In my lifetime, the age of consent was 14 in the Northern Territory, 16 in most states,and 17 here. With legalisation of homosexual acts,the gay age of consent was made 18.

In my opinion OF COURSE preying on the weak and vulnerable is wrong,sexually or any other way. That's why it's wrong to inculcate innocent children with religious superstitions before the age of reason.

Cranky
Yes.

But then... it's also okay to stab the OP in the left ankle with a steak knife.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
BAN...again...
(October 12, 2011 at 7:04 pm)Darwinian Wrote: A child is emotionally and psychologically too immature for a sexual relationship,

What evidence do you have suggesting a child is not mentally capable of enjoying sex and understanding its significance?

(October 12, 2011 at 7:04 pm)Darwinian Wrote: especially with an adult.

Would it be different with another child?

(October 12, 2011 at 7:17 pm)aleialoura Wrote: The part of the brain that is responsible for reasoning and decision making is not fully developed until the early twenties.

Then why do many nations permit teenagers to have sex, drink alcohol, drive cars etc?

(October 12, 2011 at 7:17 pm)aleialoura Wrote: It does hurt them, obviously more than you understand.

Please explain in what way it hurts them.
Are you arguing in favour of pedophilia?
(October 12, 2011 at 7:24 pm)padraic Wrote: n most (not all) societies sexual activity between adults and prepubescent children is taboo,and severely punished, sometimes with death, which I think perfectly reasonable.

Which societies are you referring to? There have been cultures in which sex with prepubescents has been encouraged, ancient Greece and Rome for example.

(October 12, 2011 at 7:24 pm)padraic Wrote: In my opinion OF COURSE preying on the weak and vulnerable is wrong,sexually or any other way.

Which is why I worded my post very carefully - assuming the child has chosen to have sex with an adult who is not 'preying' on them any more than a heterosexual man 'preys' on women his own age, where is the harm?

(October 12, 2011 at 7:29 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Are you arguing in favour of pedophilia?

I'm acting as a social gadfly, does it disturb you to question your own morality?
Right, this is a slippery slope that I have no intention of allowing this forum to slide down. The only reaction you will get from the members here is one of incredulous hostility for posing such a ludicrous question and then arguing in its favour.

Question: Is sex with children a bad thing?

Answer: Yes!

The only conclusion that I can come to is that you are deliberately trying to be as provocative as possible by disrupting our forum with a post that quite frankly, would be of great interest to the child protection agency.

As such I conclude that you are not welcome to be here and bid you goodbye.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On kids reading Harry Potter? TrueChristian 139 12635 February 9, 2016 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Sex- A language of Body and Reproduction Urge Khansins 13 2326 November 20, 2014 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Discussion w/ a Theist RE: Premarital Sex StealthySkeptic 110 19533 August 14, 2014 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda