Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goblins.
Goblins.
Quote:A long time ago in England, it was believed that goblins sometimes secretly exchanged their babies for human babies. This was used as an explanation when parents found themselves with a particularly ugly or deformed child: these parents wanted to believe that their real baby had been stolen by goblins, and the other left in its place. The label for such a child was auf, or alfe (meaning "goblin's child"), terms that were later altered to form our present-day oaf. Although the linguistic history is not entirely clear, auf and alfe are likely from the Middle English alven and elven, meaning "elf" or "fairy." Today the word oaf is no longer associated with unattractive babies and is instead applied to anyone who appears especially unintelligent or graceless.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/word-of-the-day (February 27, 2016)

Did the modern scientific method have its origins in medieval England?  Probably not, of course, but it seems that the idea of goblins arose because individuals had problems explaining birth defects and/or other abnormalities in young children.
RE: Goblins.
Nilbog! It's Goblin spelled backwards!
"In three words I can sum up everything about life: it goes on."- Robert Frost
Magical beliefs are -nothing- if not poor attempts to explain that which the owner cannot comprehend. Sometimes...with our magical beliefs..we even get it half right on accident. Though not, specifically, in the case of goblins, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 29, 2016 at 12:07 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Magical beliefs are -nothing- if not poor attempts to explain that which the owner cannot comprehend.  Sometimes...with our magical beliefs..we even get it half right on accident.  Though not, specifically, in the case of goblins, lol.

Hey, once upon a time, everyone believed in the existence of such beings, therefore, they must exist!
Cant speak for the rest, but you sold me.  I suddenly -need- to know why my government hasn't written legislation to address the goblin problem. Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 29, 2016 at 11:44 am)NaughtyButNice Wrote: Nilbog! It's Goblin spelled backwards!

I learned that at Notlob High School.
(March 1, 2016 at 7:25 am)Rhythm Wrote: Cant speak for the rest, but you sold me.  I suddenly -need- to know why my government hasn't written legislation to address the goblin problem.  Wink

We should build a wall between here and reality. And make the goblins pay for it.
(March 1, 2016 at 8:06 am)Gawdzilla Wrote:
(March 1, 2016 at 7:25 am)Rhythm Wrote: Cant speak for the rest, but you sold me.  I suddenly -need- to know why my government hasn't written legislation to address the goblin problem.  Wink

We should build a wall between here and reality. And make the goblins pay for it.

Won't work; such a wall would have to cross public property and goblins only go onto private property, or at least repossessed property.
Goblins?

http://www.goblinscomic.org/06252005/
Dying to live, living to die.