Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loosening my pro choice stance.
Loosening my pro choice stance.
Until two nights ago i used to think the pro lifer movement was just another faction of religiously charged pseudo science like Young earth creationism.But after reading this essay in opposition to abortion on RW I'm uncertain if I could ever call myself "pro-choice" anymore. http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Essay:Why_I...e_abortion
Quote:"In the late 1960's the pro-choice movement made a deliberate, strategic decision to trivialize the abortion debate by dismissing all pro-life arguments as mere Catholic dogma. This made it easy to gloss over the inconvenient, undeniable scientific embryological fact that human life begins at conception in favor of specious arguments regarding church/state separation and accusation that religion "is being forced down our throats." Planned Parenthood today still insists that the question of when life begins is a religious one which varies from woman to woman, apparently mind-dependent rather than reality-dependent. They do draw the line at the old Mayan practice of throwing infants into volcanos, although I don't see why, under their theory, that wouldn't be a protected exercise of religion as well. I've seen more of a reliance on science - embryology, ultrasound - on the pro-life side than on the pro-choice side. In fact, the mainstream pro-choice organizations oppose showing women who are considering abortion ultrasound pictures of the child on the grounds that they are "confusing." It should be noted that the pro-choice side isn't opposed to raising religious arguments when it suits them. Planned Parenthood has hired clergy to promote abortion from a theological standpoint. The Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice devotes its very existence to that endeavor. Ironically, even the atheistic Freedom from Religion Foundation employs a religious argument when it comes to abortion - it argues that the practice should be permitted because it isn't expressly forbidden by the Bible."
RE: Loosening my pro choice stance.
WTF does any of that have to do with forcing a woman to be saddled with a kid she does not want for 18 years because a bunch of religitards think she should have kept her legs together?
So you have a problem with an 8 celled "being" being aborted?
If not, what about 16 celled?

Where do you draw the line between biology in motion and a human being?
Just curious, that's all.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Just because it looks like a baby doesn't mean it is a baby. However, it *does* resemble one so such pictures would be distressing.
Similar to how if I showed pictures of a horrific car crash from a movie to someone who suffered a real car crash they would find that distressing and I would be abit of a nob.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(March 9, 2016 at 8:04 pm)1994Californication Wrote:
Quote:"In the late 1960's the pro-choice movement made a deliberate, strategic decision to trivialize the abortion debate by dismissing all pro-life arguments as mere Catholic dogma. This made it easy to gloss over the inconvenient, undeniable scientific embryological fact that human life begins at conception in favor of specious arguments regarding church/state separation and accusation that religion "is being forced down our throats." Planned Parenthood today still insists that the question of when life begins is a religious one which varies from woman to woman, apparently mind-dependent rather than reality-dependent. They do draw the line at the old Mayan practice of throwing infants into volcanos, although I don't see why, under their theory, that wouldn't be a protected exercise of religion as well. I've seen more of a reliance on science - embryology, ultrasound - on the pro-life side than on the pro-choice side. In fact, the mainstream pro-choice organizations oppose showing women who are considering abortion ultrasound pictures of the child on the grounds that they are "confusing." It should be noted that the pro-choice side isn't opposed to raising religious arguments when it suits them. Planned Parenthood has hired clergy to promote abortion from a theological standpoint. The Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice devotes its very existence to that endeavor. Ironically, even the atheistic Freedom from Religion Foundation employs a religious argument when it comes to abortion - it argues that the practice should be permitted because it isn't expressly forbidden by the Bible."
bold mine

Not. Change to ....."potential" human life begins at conception....

Define conception. Easiest is fertilization of ovum with sperm. That's a sad definition for human life. That does not take into account of the millions of things that need to take place to develop into a viable human that can sustain life on it's own, even with the aid of medical science.

Want evidence? Look up Molar Pregnancy. Look up Ectopic Pregnancy Stats. Look up the stats for estimate of fertilized eggs that do not implant. Look up fatal birth defects stats (cdc). Go to any pathology web site and look at placental/uterine pathology.

You can give credence to this over simplified wiki essay if you like. I choose not to.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 9, 2016 at 9:16 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Not. Change to ....."potential" human life begins at conception....millions of things...need to take place to develop into a viable human that can sustain life on it's own.
An infant cannot sustain life on its own. Everyone is born vulnerable and dependent on others for care and sustenance.

For complex organisms life starts as a fertilized egg. Someone can still believe abortion should be allowed on other grounds, just not a scientific one. Your proposed addition of 'potential' shows that when it comes to the issue of abortion you are anti-science.
(March 9, 2016 at 8:23 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: Just because it looks like a baby doesn't mean it is a baby.
Just because it doesn't yet look human doesn't mean it isn't one.
The unwilling mother is also human, and..importantly, legally so... in ways that an unborn child is not. You wont find many people arguing -for- abortion. You'll find plenty making a compromise on the issue of a woman's rights. That's law, that's governance, that's society. You take issue?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 9, 2016 at 8:04 pm)1994Californication Wrote: Until two nights ago i used to think the pro lifer movement was just another faction of religiously charged pseudo science like Young earth creationism.But after reading this essay in opposition to abortion on RW I'm uncertain if I could ever call myself "pro-choice" anymore. http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Essay:Why_I...e_abortion

You have no say in the choices I make about my body, and if you think you do, kindly fuck off.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Abortion cookies.

Yummeh.

[Image: 500x267]
[Image: Abortioncookies.jpeg]
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your stance on bringing back extinct species? Fake Messiah 80 1608 March 12, 2024 at 8:50 am
Last Post: brewer
  Assisted suicide and pro abortion. ignoramus 17 1777 June 20, 2019 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My question to pro-choice supporters ErGingerbreadMandude 120 29079 July 10, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Pro-choice - I need help with arguments Dystopia 25 5689 January 8, 2015 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: dyresand