Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Assisted suicide and pro abortion.
Assisted suicide and pro abortion.
Guys, I thought I'd bring this up since today assisted death is now legal here in Victoria.
But I am curious, are those who believe in abortion the very same people who agree in assisted death (for the elderly and under strict conditions).

Or inversely, are pro lifers automatically against this because they are essentially the same ideology?
Eg, you either find life sacrilegious or you don't?

PS, Beccs, this isn't an invite. I don't need any assistance... I'm just saying ...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Assisted suicide and pro abortion.
Well, I certainly believe that they're both morally justifiable.

But, then again, I'm also more anti-birth than pro-choice. I'm an anti-natalist.

In fact, I'm pro-death. I'm a pro-mortalist.

Only bad thing about death is that it tends to cause yourself and others suffering. If it could be done painlessly and instantly then it would be a good thing.

If there was a big red button that instantly destroyed all life on earth completely painlessly ... then it would be very much worth pushing. Due to the great deal of suffering would cease and the fact that because it was instant and painless the happiest people wouldn't actually lose anything. They wouldn't even realize it happened.

But perhaps my weirdo opinion should not be listened to, even if it does make sense, if nobody else is able to make sense of it?
(June 19, 2019 at 4:56 am)SenseMaker007 Wrote: Only bad thing about death is that it tends to cause yourself and others suffering. If it could be done painlessly and instantly then it would be a good thing.

If death is causing you suffering, then you're not dead Dunno

(but I do know what you mean) Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Even when your dead your death can cause suffering to other people who care about you.
(June 19, 2019 at 6:06 am)ignoramus Wrote:
(June 19, 2019 at 4:56 am)SenseMaker007 Wrote: Only bad thing about death is that it tends to cause yourself and others suffering. If it could be done painlessly and instantly then it would be a good thing.

If death is causing you suffering, then you're not dead Dunno

[Image: 5oLLHXA.gif]
(June 19, 2019 at 4:37 am)ignoramus Wrote: Guys, I thought I'd bring this up since today assisted death is now legal here in Victoria.
But I am curious, are those who believe in abortion the very same people who agree in assisted death (for the elderly and under strict conditions).

Or inversely, are pro lifers automatically against this because they are essentially the same ideology?
Eg,  you either find life sacrilegious or you don't?

PS, Beccs, this isn't an invite. I don't need any assistance... I'm just saying ...

I think they would have different rationalizations, one murder, the other suicide, both incorrect.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(June 19, 2019 at 4:37 am)ignoramus Wrote: Guys, I thought I'd bring this up since today assisted death is now legal here in Victoria.

Eg,  you either find life sacrilegious or you don't?

IDK, I don't think they have to be.  It's at least conceivable that a pro lifer would think that a huge part of what makes abortion untenable is that someone else is making the choice to end another's life for them.  That's not the case with assisted suicide. The soon to be deceased made that choice for themselves.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I am pro-your body, your choice. I do understand these choices may hurt others. I lost someone I loved to suicide.

That said, I am not them. I have no idea what it is to live their life. Why the hell should I be making decisions for them?
Illegitimi non carborundum
The Catholics are at least consistent on this.  They used the same justification against abortion as they do against suicide (assisted or not):  Life is a gift from God and is therefore sacred.

Well, consistent in theory, not so much in practice.  Historically speaking.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Birth isn't so great.

David Benatar is not a pro-mortalist like I am. He's just an anti-natalist because, unlike myself, he doesn't accept the Epicurean argument regarding death.

I also recommend Shelly Kagan's full Yale course on death. Here's the full free playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2J7wSuF...F1AD9047B0

I disagree with him a lot but it's certainly interesting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abortion and Population SimpleCaveman 143 6961 December 18, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  [Serious] Total locked in syndrome and assisted dying Duty 36 2071 February 17, 2022 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  My question to pro-choice supporters ErGingerbreadMandude 120 29286 July 10, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Photo A secular arguement for the alteration of existing abortion law DogmaticDownSouth 52 13504 July 7, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Effectiveness of rating scales for suicide risk brewer 18 2571 April 10, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Look Out, Suicide Article brewer 0 693 December 22, 2016 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Loosening my pro choice stance. 1994Californication 47 8580 March 14, 2016 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Pro-choice - I need help with arguments Dystopia 25 5817 January 8, 2015 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: dyresand
Lightbulb Abortion/Consciousness/Life TheGamingAtheist 244 41227 October 4, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Chas
Heart Suicide ShaMan 10 1661 August 13, 2014 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Jackalope