Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bottle feeding my foster kitties.
Bottle feeding my foster kitties.
For the past couple of days we've been taking care of three little kittens from our local shelter. They are just a few weeks old and need to be bottle fed. The black one and black and white one are sick with some awful diarrhea, but the tabby one has been healthy. I'm taking them to the vet again on Tuesday. They're the sweetest, cutest little things.  Heart  

"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: Bottle feeding my foster kitties.
Aborbs Heart

Also, rockin' socks, chika Wink
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
C/L,

Run...don't walk...to a vet and have them tested for this:

http://icatcare.org/advice/cat-health/fe...enia-virus

Quote:Feline parvovirus infection is probably the greatest major disease threat to any rescue facility and infection carries a very high mortality rate, particularly in unvaccinated kittens

But even worse is this,

Quote:and parvoviruses are particularly dangerous as they are able to survive for long periods (up to several years) in the environment, and are resistant to many disinfectants.

Thus until you are certain they don't have parvo you cannot bring another unvaccinated kitten into your home.

Our Rescue took in 5 puppies with parvo last year.  Because we got them early they all lived....although it cost us $25,000. 

They are cute.  I hope they have something else.
(March 12, 2016 at 10:40 pm)Minimalist Wrote: C/L,

Run...don't walk...to a vet and have them tested for this:

http://icatcare.org/advice/cat-health/fe...enia-virus

Quote:Feline parvovirus infection is probably the greatest major disease threat to any rescue facility and infection carries a very high mortality rate, particularly in unvaccinated kittens

But even worse is this,

Quote:and parvoviruses are particularly dangerous as they are able to survive for long periods (up to several years) in the environment, and are resistant to many disinfectants.

Thus until you are certain they don't have parvo you cannot bring another unvaccinated kitten into your home.

Our Rescue took in 5 puppies with parvo last year.  Because we got them early they all lived....although it cost us $25,000. 

They are cute.  I hope they have something else.

Oh gosh, that's awful. Thanks Min. I took them to the vet on Friday when they were having bloody diarrhea. He gave me meds and now the blood is gone but the diarrhea is still really bad, so I'm taking them again assuming it doesn't go away by then.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I can't believe that any competent vet would look at those symptoms and not think parvo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_panleukopenia

Quote:The virus primarily attacks the lining of the gastrointestinal tract, causing internal ulceration and, ultimately, total sloughing of the intestinal epithelium. This results in profuse and usually bloody diarrhea, severe dehydration, malnutrition, anemia, and often death.

Thus one can only hope that he ruled parvo out and is treating them for something else.  As the article notes, untreated parvo can kill them in 24 hours so if you took them in on Friday and they are still alive that is a very good sign.
$25000!!!! WTF.
Sounds like your good for a loan, Min.
My mum was a Vet Asst for a while and cleaning parvo cages was her worst job.
(March 13, 2016 at 1:03 am)Little lunch Wrote: $25000!!!! WTF.
Sounds like your good for a loan, Min.

It was the Rescue not me.  Thank goodness for the discount we got from the vets.
Good for the kitties, hope they make it.

Our 2 rescue cats here turned out wonderful. Although excessively sleepy grown up cats.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Pet Rescues By Lady!

Awesome, CL. And I agree with Morgan---badassery on the socks.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are you feeding your dog? brewer 36 1732 July 14, 2018 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Do environments foster geniuses or intellect? Macoleco 6 293 July 6, 2018 at 11:32 am
Last Post: brewer
  Your Sentiments on Breast Feeding in Public Catholic_Lady 184 25542 September 22, 2015 at 8:11 am
Last Post: Mermaid
  Yo ho ho and a bottle of RUM Chuff 30 8794 May 29, 2012 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Chuff