Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you feeding your dog?
What are you feeding your dog?
If it something that sounds new and trendy you may want to stop/change. 

Quote: "...recent increase in heart disease in dogs eating certain types of diets may shed light on the role of diet in causing heart disease.  It appears that diet may be increasing dogs’ risk for heart disease because owners have fallen victim to the many myths and misperceptions about pet food."

A broken heart: Risk of heart disease in boutique or grain-free diets and exotic ingredients

http://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2018/06/a-...gredients/
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: What are you feeding your dog?
IDK about trends, but my dog breaks out in hot spots if she eats food with grain in it. She's 13 years old, and I'd hate to be contributing to any risk factors, but there is quality of life to consider as well.

(Regardless, this information should be considered by pet owners, to be sure.)
(June 6, 2018 at 8:54 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: IDK about trends, but my dog breaks out in hot spots if she eats food with grain in it. She's 13 years old, and I'd hate to be contributing to any risk factors, but there is quality of life to consider as well.

(Regardless, this information should be considered by pet owners, to be sure.)

Our oldest one is somewhat like that. We feed him Natural Balance/lamb and rice. This company adds taurine supplement. We also supplement that with Stella and Chewys  freeze dried raw, and we make some of our own raw that contains organ meats and supplements.

I know our vet has recommended to avoid anything that contains legumes, particularly peas and lentils.

Confused, talk to your vet.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
My guys get kibble, twice daily. They eat it like it was crack with bacon on it. I try to give them a marrow bone once in a while as a treat like when I'm going to leave them alone all day. Not sure of the brand but it has salmon in it and is one Costco sells in a blue bag with a picture of a husky on it.
My floofer eats pretty much anything except for the known no-nos such as grapes and chocolate. We give him the pedigree cardboard droppings once a day, just for nutrition or whatever, but otherwise it's usually whatever we're having, which is pretty balanced in itself. He's almost 6 and fit as a fiddle. Big Grin
The word bed actually looks like a bed. 
Just feed the dog human food.

"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
They are carnivores by nature. They should be fed what they would get in the wild. Meat.

I have cats. Two get grain free canned food due to their weight and age. The others get grain free, dry kibble. It costs more, but they shit less and are healthier, in general. Every once in a while I made chicken, shred it and give it to them as a treat.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
My two get a cup of kibble twice a day.  We use Natural Balance Fat Dog Dog Food which is a low calorie mix and their weight is stable.  In addition my wife makes "dog soup" which is frozen green beans, carrots, corn and/or peas, rice and some combination of ground turkey, diced chicken, diced beef, or ground lamb.  That goes over their kibble and they love it.

Part of the problem with living is that it causes dying.  If a dog is allergic to something the constant effects of the allergy being triggered are far worse than any long term damage done by the food.  We have some vets who swear by the grain free dog foods and others who are unimpressed.  The jury still seems to be out on that.
Taste of the Wild bison and venison.
I'd like to know why there was never a mouse flavored cat food.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your favorite type of Dog Docto021 23 1501 May 6, 2019 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Sal
  What goes on your dog? J a c k 82 5421 March 13, 2018 at 4:14 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  If Your House Caught Fire, what are the Last 3 Things You'd Grab On Your Way Out? vorlon13 30 6652 August 21, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  If Your House Caught Fire, what are the First 3 Things You'd Grab On Your Way Out? Rhondazvous 58 10577 August 20, 2017 at 8:12 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Looks like we're rescuing a dog Jackalope 49 8631 May 22, 2017 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Happy National Dog Day. Whateverist 0 622 August 26, 2016 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  I think my dog is a Democrat KUSA 9 2313 March 30, 2016 at 9:11 am
Last Post: abaris
  Bottle feeding my foster kitties. Catholic_Lady 29 2700 March 15, 2016 at 12:56 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Are you okay with your (or your partner's) vajayjay? Whateverist 242 29801 October 9, 2015 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Your Sentiments on Breast Feeding in Public Catholic_Lady 184 25564 September 22, 2015 at 8:11 am
Last Post: Mermaid