Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Handshake Problem
Another Handshake Problem
The Delepines are entertaining.  Mr and Mrs Anderson, Mr and Mrs Burke as well as Mr and Mrs Carvalho will be joining them for dinner.  (Apologies in advance for the hetero-centric nature of the problem.)  

As it happens Mr Delepine is in the kitchen cooking when everyone arrives.  So only Mrs Delepine goes out to greet them alone.  Greetings are exchanged and a good deal of hand shaking takes place but not in any thorough manner.  When Mr Delepine calls them in to eat he asks how many handshakes took place outside.  No one is quite sure so he asked some questions.

Everyone is quite sure they did not shake their own hand (because that would just be silly) or that of their own mate, and no one shook hands more than once with the same person.  Each of their guests report shaking hands a different number of times, except Mrs Delepine who can't remember how many times she shook hands.  She very well might have shaken hands the same number of times as one the guests but no one remembers how many hands she shook.

With how many people did Mrs Delepine shake hands with?
RE: Another Handshake Problem
Hmm, neat!

This looks sort of like one of those logic problems, where you have to figure out which person lives in what house and has what in their front garden. I enjoy doing those.

I'll give this a crack later!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I like your name choices Wink

So... 8 persons, total.
1 of them is out in the kitchen.
Brute force, assuming everyone shakes hands, but not with their respective spouses, nor themselves:
- Mrs Delepine shakes hands with 6 people
- Each of the others shakes hands with 5 people (I know they all report different numbers, but they're wrong! Tongue )
In total, 5 * 6 + 6 = 36 handshakes.

Any other solution should yield less than these 36. There's an upper bound! Wink

I think Mrs Delepine needs to see a psychiatrist.
I'm guessing Zero times, like her husband. Huh
She shakes hands 3 times.

Proof:

The guests we'll number Person 1-6:
p.1 - "2 times": shakes hands with p.4, p.6 (p.2 is their partner).
p.2 - "3 times": shakes hands with p.4, p.6 and Mrs Delepine (p.1 is their partner).
p.3 - "1 times": shakes hands with p.6 (p.4 is their partner).
p.4 - "4 times": shakes hands with p.1, p.2, p.6 and Mrs Delepine (p.3 is their partner).
p.5 - "0 times"
p.6 - "5 times" : shakes hands with p.1-4 and Mrs Delepine (p.5 is their partner so they don't shake their hand).
Mrs Delepine: p.2, p.4, p.6.

Now you might think she should have shook the hand of all of her guests, but actually she did shake one hand of each couple.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(March 14, 2016 at 4:30 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote: The Delepines are entertaining.  Mr and Mrs Anderson, Mr and Mrs Burke as well as Mr and Mrs Carvalho will be joining them for dinner.  (Apologies in advance for the hetero-centric nature of the problem.)  

That's ok, I'll just pretend that Mr. Burke and Mr. Carvalho are screwing in secret when their wives are at work.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
None. This is a gathering of germaphobes anonymous.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Assuming Mrs D haven't got no probs with them guests, 6. Tongue
No the answer is 2.
I got it.
It's two.
Fuck yeah.
Win birches
Birches?