Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 12:47 pm

Poll: Are there Natural States of Humans?
This poll is closed.
Yes there are.
75.00%
3 75.00%
No there aren't.
25.00%
1 25.00%
Maybe there Are/Maybe there Aren't.
0%
0 0%
I don't know either way.
0%
0 0%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Humans have a Natural State?
This topic comes up fairly often in Philosophy, but I have never heard it being questioned. 
Quotes such as "The Natural State of People are the Upper Class and the Lower Class, the Rich and the Poor" etc, enough for Communism. 
Good and Bad, Corrupt and Naive, for example. 
Or are Humans limitless in a sense that these natural states don't exist or can be overcame?
RE: Do Humans have a Natural State?
I'm wondering what you mean by "natural" in this context.

We have fossil evidence that Homo Erectus was caring for injured members of the group going back 2 million years.  That implies at least a rudimentary culture and sense of a group.
(March 28, 2016 at 7:11 pm)Shining_Finger Wrote: This topic comes up fairly often in Philosophy, but I have never heard it being questioned. 
Quotes such as "The Natural State of People are the Upper Class and the Lower Class, the Rich and the Poor" etc, enough for Communism. 
Good and Bad, Corrupt and Naive, for example. 
Or are Humans limitless in a sense that these natural states don't exist or can be overcame?

They're probably are some natural states of people, in my opinion, I don't know how scientifically proven they are.  I remember reading a Collin Wilson book about crime which spoke about dominant 5 percent groups in populations.  Along those lines I remember in part of the book he implied that this specific nature of human dominance could be manipulated, he spoke about removing the dominant 5 percent of prisoners from the general population in a POW camp eliminated escape attempts very effectively.
There maybe a pattern to all human nature in every scenario but with an animal as intelligent as a human there are so many variables in behaviour it would probably take an animal more intelligent and knowledgeable than humans are right now to be able to easily see these patterns of human nature.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I believe there is a natural state given to us by our animal instincts/DNA.
Having said that, this natural state can be different between individual people.

You can't generalise about these things at such a granular level.
Eg: put 5 people in a jungle to survive, and one may try to kill the some of the others for his own personal short term benefit.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
An argument can be made, that we are in our natural state.

Everything we have accomplished, good and bad, is a result of our naturally evolved brains.

We are doing what is natural, for us.

Just because we create artificial things, does not mean it is not our nature to do so.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(March 28, 2016 at 7:36 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I'm wondering what you mean by "natural" in this context.

We have fossil evidence that Homo Erectus was caring for injured members of the group going back 2 million years.  That implies at least a rudimentary culture and sense of a group.

Why do I always think of Vorlon when I hear someone say Homo Erectus?
Every human state is natural. Look around, see what people are up to-- that's their natural state.
Natural state ?

Fat, dumb and happy.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Define "natural state".
That doesn't really have any meaning to me independent of context.
I think a natural state would be naked.

This man is almost natural.
[Image: 15b7565ff09c9b3f2690f1433a18780f.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Relationship between programming languages and natural languages FlatAssembler 13 1150 June 12, 2023 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Does a natural "god" maybe exist? Skeptic201 19 1657 November 27, 2022 at 7:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Are the animals luckier than humans? TrueNorth 13 811 August 19, 2022 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Macoleco
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3122 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do humans have inherent value? Macoleco 39 2127 June 14, 2021 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 6971 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Feral Children and the initial human state WinterHold 1 894 December 10, 2018 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Maketakunai
  Humans are scum ApeNotKillApe 39 10088 May 24, 2016 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Most Humans Do NOT Have Completely Frree Will Rhondazvous 57 5057 April 20, 2016 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Natural Order and Science Harris 452 42226 March 24, 2016 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger