Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fustration! How is this favored?!
Fustration! How is this favored?!
My father (well the man who raised me, my biological father passed last year) has just been hospitalized. He had a heart valve replaced. So I called the the hospital hysterical and in tears to figure what the hell is going on. Apparently a valve in daddy's heart split and he's had a temporary cow replacement until he can afford a mechanical one in a few years. Well the crazy man gets on the phone: "Sorry your present will be late this year princess! Didn't mean to let you down." And I fussed at him and told him not worry about such a silly thing like my birthday; and the only way I'd be disappointed is if he didn't get better. "Don't worry pumpkinhead, I'm fine. I made it out just fine. I'm blessed and divinely favored." Of course what could I say was "Yes, Daddy." But I was thinking either they've doped him good, or I just don't understand anything anymore. I love my daddy so much and sometimes I just can't understand how he can think this way. It worries me. And makes sad that for all we agree on this is something we'll never eye to eye on. And all I want is for him to see 250 years old, and scold his great great great grand children. Sigh.
RE: Fustration! How is this favored?!
Well, Happy Birthday BQ. Your dad lived to see another day, what a wonderful present.
By the way, you spelt frustration wrong and maybe favoured as well, although that might just be that silly American spelling.
(April 9, 2016 at 5:41 pm)Little lunch Wrote: Well, Happy Birthday BQ. Your dad lived to see another day, what a wonderful present.
By the way, you spelt frustration wrong and maybe favoured as well, although that might just be that silly American spelling.

I'm so out of it I'm probably tying half my words wrong.
Happy birthday! Glad your pops is on the mend!

I think part of adult relationships is acceptance of one another. Your dad has this belief and it works for him. If he opens the door to discuss it with you then there is an opportunity to change his thinking. If he doesn't, does it really take away anything from the relationship?
"I'm thick." - Me
Do you realise by wanting him to live to 250 yrs and being able to scold his great, great, great grandchildren, you really just want to live for that long yourself?
Anyway, I hope I see that day come to fruition for you. :-)
(April 9, 2016 at 5:45 pm)Little lunch Wrote: Do you realise by wanting him to live to 250 yrs and being able to scold his great, great, great grandchildren, you really just want to live for that long yourself?
Anyway, I hope I see that day come to fruition for you. :-)
actually with my own health conditions my life expectancy isn't very high. And I don't mind myself just as long as people I care about get long happy lives.
(April 9, 2016 at 5:45 pm)Goosebump Wrote: Happy birthday! Glad your pops is on the mend!

I think part of adult relationships is acceptance of one another. Your dad has this belief and it works for him. If he opens the door to discuss it with you then there is an opportunity to change his thinking. If he doesn't, does it really take away anything from the relationship?

I guess I think it's a little sad that some as highly educated and wonderful as daddy can still be superstitious.
(April 9, 2016 at 5:50 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:
(April 9, 2016 at 5:45 pm)Goosebump Wrote: Happy birthday! Glad your pops is on the mend!

I guess I think it's a little sad that some as highly educated and wonderful as daddy can still be superstitious.

I'm superstitious sometimes, I knock on wood literally now and again (no double entendre intended). You can get the shivers from things and still be atheist. 

Also with older people they grew up in a very different time. A time rife with allot of religion in the family, community, peer groups etc. Hard to work out all that indoctrination, even today.
"I'm thick." - Me
If that's what he needs to believe in order to make it through to the next moment, then oh well. We all cope in our own way; Booze, pills, illicit sex, cross-training, lotto, shopping, crosswords and Sudoku, Jesus, etc. It's a rough world out there. 

I generally leave people be unless they try to push their Sudoku on me. 

Btw, Happy Birthday, BQ. Sorry you're having a rough time.
(April 9, 2016 at 6:00 pm)Thena323 Wrote: If that's what he needs to believe in order to make it through to the next moment, then oh well. We all cope in our own way; Booze, pills, illicit sex, cross-training, lotto, shopping, crosswords and Sudoku, Jesus, etc. It's a rough world out there. 

I generally leave people be unless they try to push their Sudoku on me. 

Btw, Happy Birthday, BQ. Sorry you're having a rough time.

Imagine doing all those things. That would be the best coper ever!  Bong
"I'm thick." - Me