Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Myth of Infallibility
The Myth of Infallibility
The idea that anything could be incapable of being prone to error is absurd.
Yet this is a doctrine that many religions around the world seem to possess.

For Example:

Christians who are "Bible Literalists" believe that the Bible is infallible and perfect in every way.
If that is the case, then why can I alter it's text?
Why can I light it on fire?
If the Bible is "perfect" then I shouldn't be able to destroy or alter it's material.

Now if the Bible isn't perfect, what about God?
Would not Jehovah be all-powerful and perfect by his very nature?
Well the Bible tells us that he created the Heavens and the Earth in 6 days.
Why not 5?
Or 4?
Why didn't he just create everything all at once for the sake of efficiency?
Also I forgot to mention, he had to rest on the last day of creation.
So the all-powerful Jehovah can get tired?

What do you think about the concept of infallibility?
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then He is not omnipotent. Is He able, but not willing? Then He is malevolent. Is He both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is He neither able nor willing? Then why call Him God?" - Epicurus
RE: The Myth of Infallibility
It's fallible.

FSM Grin
Quote:What do you think about the concept of infallibility?

I think it's overrated.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
Titus 1:12-13 One of the Cretans, a prophet of their own, said, “Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons." This saying is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, so that they will be sound in the faith.

The statement is paradoxical.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(April 27, 2016 at 3:53 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: Titus 1:12-13 One of the Cretans, a prophet of their own, said, “Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons." This saying is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, so that they will be sound in the faith.

The statement is paradoxical.

'Paul' or whoever wrote Titus in his name wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.
[Image: papal-infallibility1.jpg?w=750]
"biblical inerrancy" is pretty much a moot point with the christers in the US these days, even shit in the new testament, repeated more than once and coming directly from christ himself can and is being willfully ignored.

Letting the inmates run the asylum generally is not a good idea, and the church poobahs will quickly inject if they cracked down on all the heresies being bandied about in their congregations, their churches would soon be empty.

(guess I'm not seeing a down side there . . . .)
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Actually, I have no real issue with the dogma of Papal infallibility. It applies only to doctrines of faith and morals, and then only to Catholics. *shrug* The Pope can infallibly declare that it is a moral matter for Christians to poo in their shoes during the full moon and it wouldn't impact my life in the slightest.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
[Image: th?id=OIP.M887e7743e280681cf9cb44c34d584...=300&h=300]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(April 27, 2016 at 6:55 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Actually, I have no real issue with the dogma of Papal infallibility.  It applies only to doctrines of faith and morals, and then only to Catholics.  *shrug*  The Pope can infallibly declare that it is a moral matter for Christians to poo in their shoes during the full moon and it wouldn't impact my life in the slightest.

Boru

I think that's one of their fucking sacraments, isn't it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Personification in Greek Myth Tea Earl Grey Hot 35 6638 March 30, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Evolution of a Myth Mudhammam 10 2829 March 27, 2016 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  A question about the flood myth, baraminology, and Pangaea RobbyPants 153 18683 February 29, 2016 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Does myth still have purpose? ComradeMeow 7 2534 August 20, 2014 at 2:38 am
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  Correct use of the word "Myth" The_Thinking_Theist 13 4892 January 11, 2014 at 5:54 am
Last Post: CYNIC
  Where did the Jesus myth come from? cratehorus 605 415826 September 4, 2012 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  How many miracles needed in the Noah myth? Doubting Thomas 74 34215 January 31, 2012 at 6:36 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  God is no longer a Myth Emporion 82 23757 May 20, 2011 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: Emporion
  How to perpetuate a myth chatpilot 11 4475 May 16, 2010 at 10:33 am
Last Post: SleepingDemon