Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gove open to atheist schools
Gove open to atheist schools
Atheists could set up their own schools in England under the government's education reforms, Education Secretary Michael Gove has said.

BBC article below

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-10791997

Personally I think this is to try and distract people from the fact that the majority of schools will ram theology down childrens necks.

Honestly how many atheists want to 'indoctrinate' children compared with how many theists.Devil

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Gove open to atheist schools
Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm fine with faith schools as long as they aren't government sponsored, so I'm also fine with atheist schools so long as the same standard of secularism is applied.
I wouldn't be up for calling them atheist schools, personally. That seems to infer that we'd be trying to impose our "lack of belief" on them and that's not right. Why not just instead focus on the education that all children are getting and propose critical thinking classes, more math/science-based field trips, maybe even some very basic philosophical/logic as well?

If you build a new house next to a condemned house, you really didn't do much for the neighborhood.
An "atheist school". Would that not be called a "school"?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(July 28, 2010 at 2:14 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Atheists could set up their own schools in England under the government's education reforms, Education Secretary Michael Gove has said.

This sounds like something that needs to be done in a few particular US states.
(I'm looking at you, texas, kansas, and probably the virginias.)
Gove has the right idea but I think he probably misunderstands what atheists stand for .. a fundamental belief of most atheists (i would think) is that people should grow up with the freedom to choose their own faith or lack of faith. Having atheism shoved down your throat isn't any better than having some belief system shoved down your throat.

Any *intellectual* atheist won't sit there (unprovoked) and preach to you about your stupidity for believing that a man in the sky is controlling your actions.
Just call me doc! im not a doctor though.. Big Grin
Why not just remove faith schools or make them secular?
(July 28, 2010 at 5:33 pm)darkwolf176 Wrote: Why not just remove faith schools or make them secular?

WHAT?!?!? Ridiculous. How dare you undermine religious education!

*sarcasm*
Just call me doc! im not a doctor though.. Big Grin
That's a good idea. Time for the atheists to stand up for what we (don't) believe in! I wish I lived in England...
I'm of the opinion that their should be secular schools that have critical thinking classes. (It is a required class at Plymouth State University and when I took it I thought it was dumb, everyone should be able to do that easy. I was proven wrong. I don't know why I thought that.) Also, it shouldn't be called an atheist school, either.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Open to explore possibility zwanzig 102 6832 February 20, 2021 at 12:59 am
Last Post: Astreja
  Supreme Court Rules Taxpayers Must Fund Religious Schools Duty 17 1521 July 2, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  God in schools Figbash 51 3982 October 5, 2018 at 6:23 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Religion is fluff but the Doctrines are solid. Keep mind open. RonaldMcRaygun 12 2301 March 31, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  How open are you with your Atheism? Casca 88 10031 November 3, 2016 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  What is your Opinion on Having Required Classes in Logic in Schools? Salacious B. Crumb 43 9139 August 4, 2015 at 12:01 am
Last Post: BitchinHitchins
  Are you open to religious experiences? Strider 30 5416 December 18, 2014 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Alex K
  In the country I'm in now religion is still taught in schools TechAtheist 16 4010 July 8, 2014 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  All the atheist of 18 years and below open this thread. Lawman 6 1648 March 24, 2014 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  "Not praying in schools is a promotion of atheism!" - An actual human being. Esquilax 18 6476 August 30, 2013 at 1:08 am
Last Post: Ryantology