Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you open to religious experiences?
Are you open to religious experiences?
Are any of you atheists, freethinkers, agnostics, or others open to various religious experiences? If you're a Christian, are you opposed to a religious experience outside of your own dogma? When I say experience, I mean engaging in a religious activity such as attending a worship service, visiting a holy place, going to a retreat, or an event or occasion of that nature.

Personally, I am open to experiencing different religions, but that is as far as my interest goes. I'm done with the protestant strain of Christianity because I have had as much experience with Baptists, Southern Baptists, Methodists, and others as I will ever, ever need or want. For instance, I wouldn't mind going to Mass and watching the rituals. I find the historical aspect, architectural achievements, and garb of Catholicism quite interesting.

Next year I'll be engaging in a religious pursuit, which may be of interest to some of you. I'll be walking the 88 Temple Pilgrimage in Shikoku, Japan. It is roughly 1,200 km and makes a circuitous route around the mountainous island. The route was supposedly established by the Buddhist monk Kobo Daishi, but as always the truth is a bit different than the legend. Anyway, walking the route is supposed to build one's karma and lead toward enlightenment. I'm in it to see the temples, the architecture, experience rural Japan, and meet people along the trail. I am interested in having a spiritual experience, but I believe one could have feelings of spirituality by walking that distance anywhere in the world.

What are your views on atheists and religious or spiritual experiences? Can they be in any way useful to us as atheists? Counterproductive? Insightful in some way? A complete waste of time?

I'm of the mind that they can be both useful and insightful, but one must be somewhat wary because part of the religious package practitioners sell you on includes tailored experiences designed to evoke an emotional reaction (Christian concerts for example).
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin
RE: Are you open to religious experiences?
I grew up mainstream protestant, so, been there, done that.
Concerning spiritual experiences, I think I'm capable of something like that, but all religion only cheapens that for me.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

The only thing I've ever been mildly interested was neo paganism and wiccan.

I was drawn to it because of nature being the only divine element and because it's not in any way judgmental or ignorant of scientific knowledge. When it comes to respect, I respect everyone, whose belief doesn't discriminate.

The agnostic in my profile plays to the above. I'm certainly over all the scripted gods, but I'm still open to spirituality without building my life on it.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 17, 2014 at 6:22 pm)Strider Wrote: Are any of you atheists, freethinkers, agnostics, or others open to various religious experiences? If you're a Christian, are you opposed to a religious experience outside of your own dogma? When I say experience, I mean engaging in a religious activity such as attending a worship service, visiting a holy place, going to a retreat, or an event or occasion of that nature.

Personally, I am open to experiencing different religions, but that is as far as my interest goes. I'm done with the protestant strain of Christianity because I have had as much experience with Baptists, Southern Baptists, Methodists, and others as I will ever, ever need or want. For instance, I wouldn't mind going to Mass and watching the rituals. I find the historical aspect, architectural achievements, and garb of Catholicism quite interesting.

Next year I'll be engaging in a religious pursuit, which may be of interest to some of you. I'll be walking the 88 Temple Pilgrimage in Shikoku, Japan. It is roughly 1,200 km and makes a circuitous route around the mountainous island. The route was supposedly established by the Buddhist monk Kobo Daishi, but as always the truth is a bit different than the legend. Anyway, walking the route is supposed to build one's karma and lead toward enlightenment. I'm in it to see the temples, the architecture, experience rural Japan, and meet people along the trail. I am interested in having a spiritual experience, but I believe one could have feelings of spirituality by walking that distance anywhere in the world.

What are your views on atheists and religious or spiritual experiences? Can they be in any way useful to us as atheists? Counterproductive? Insightful in some way? A complete waste of time?

I'm of the mind that they can be both useful and insightful, but one must be somewhat wary because part of the religious package practitioners sell you on includes tailored experiences designed to evoke an emotional reaction (Christian concerts for example).

To be completely honest I haven't been to church for 17 years and I don't think I would go back to one, whatever the denomination. I might visit a mosque, church, synagogue, whatever, on an open day but I wouldn't attend a service.
Dying to live, living to die.
Spiritual experiences might have been a better phrase. I'm not interested in having a religious experience myself other than passively watching something to see what it is that they do exactly (i.e., my Mass example).

(December 17, 2014 at 6:27 pm)abaris Wrote: The only thing I've ever been mildly interested was neo paganism and wiccan.

I was drawn to it because of nature being the only divine element and because it's not in any way judgmental or ignorant of scientific knowledge. When it comes to respect, I respect everyone, whose belief doesn't discriminate.

The agnostic in my profile plays to the above. I'm certainly over all the scripted gods, but I'm still open to spirituality without building my life on it.
You summed up my feelings on spirituality quite well. I think it's possible for atheists, agnostics, and others to have spiritual experiences with no need for sky people involvement.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin
anything really except judaism, muslim, islamic, christianity, anything that has reference or has the abrahamic god in it i do not like.
Buddhism on the other hand i'm looking into it.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(December 17, 2014 at 6:44 pm)dyresand Wrote: Buddhism on the other hand i'm looking into it.

I'm interested in it, but I'm a European to the bones. It doesn't fit my nature. I'm certainly not an ascetic being.
I grew up as a Catholic and the rituals are just repugnant to me. Ugh. Also, here in Italy, they tend to be REALLY over the top and pompous. I can't stand them.

I've never had much to do with protestants, but they look like ignorant moneygrabbers most of the time.

Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs... It would be nice to listen to them, as long as they have something new to say.

(December 17, 2014 at 6:49 pm)abaris Wrote:
(December 17, 2014 at 6:44 pm)dyresand Wrote: Buddhism on the other hand i'm looking into it.

I'm interested in it, but I'm a European to the bones. It doesn't fit my nature. I'm certainly not an ascetic being.

^this
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
(December 17, 2014 at 6:22 pm)Strider Wrote: Are any of you atheists, freethinkers, agnostics, or others open to various religious experiences? If you're a Christian, are you opposed to a religious experience outside of your own dogma? When I say experience, I mean engaging in a religious activity such as attending a worship service, visiting a holy place, going to a retreat, or an event or occasion of that nature.

I'm open to anything as long as I'm left to make my own decisions and that decision is respected by the people leaving me to it who then desist from badgering the crap out of me when I burn down their mission.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
(December 17, 2014 at 6:50 pm)oukoida Wrote: I've never had much to do with protestants, but they look like ignorant moneygrabbers most of the time.

Luther wasn't exactly a role model either. Raving antisemitic and idly standing by whilst the barons slaughtered the peasants. Even worse, he condemned the peasant insurrections of the 16th century and took the side of the high and mighty.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Open to explore possibility zwanzig 102 6888 February 20, 2021 at 12:59 am
Last Post: Astreja
  Too many near death experiences purplepurpose 77 17162 November 13, 2017 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Religion is fluff but the Doctrines are solid. Keep mind open. RonaldMcRaygun 12 2306 March 31, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Near death experiences are not biblical and the bible itself debunks them (Proof) LetThereBeNoGod 0 1135 February 16, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  How open are you with your Atheism? Casca 88 10050 November 3, 2016 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Your experiences dating religious people Casca 28 4432 October 31, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Childhood Experiences with atheists? TrueChristian 20 3230 January 5, 2016 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  What you see when you win a religious debate... x3 IanHulett 15 5160 October 20, 2015 at 7:45 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12765 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Atheists: have you ever had a religious experience and what did you make of it? tantric 110 18088 January 22, 2015 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: dyresand