Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isnt God kind of childish/egotistical?
Isnt God kind of childish/egotistical?
If you have read the Bible, or know anything about Christianity in general, you know that the Judeo-Christian God REQUIRES and DESIRES praise and thankfulness from his subjects.

You hear that God is a jealous God, and he hates it when humans worship "false idols" and gods other than him. He becomes angry and destroys anything that doesnt agree with him.

Those who dont agree with him, or accept him are thrown into hell to suffer for eternity, and those who accept him and praise him are rewarded. So basically God is using a sort of blackmail to get humans to do what he wants, but if God was omnipotent, there would be no reason for a hell, and Satan, right?
RE: Isnt God kind of childish/egotistical?
(July 30, 2010 at 2:54 am)Eywa Wrote: If you have read the Bible, or know anything about Christianity in general, you know that the Judeo-Christian God REQUIRES and DESIRES praise and thankfulness from his subjects.

You hear that God is a jealous God, and he hates it when humans worship "false idols" and gods other than him. He becomes angry and destroys anything that doesnt agree with him.

Those who dont agree with him, or accept him are thrown into hell to suffer for eternity, and those who accept him and praise him are rewarded. So basically God is using a sort of blackmail to get humans to do what he wants, but if God was omnipotent, there would be no reason for a hell, and Satan, right?

I'd say that the god of the christian bibles is as vain as he is a megalomaniac. Also, homicidal, deicidal, patricidal, philicidal, fratricidal, regicidal, (that's just from killing jesus), with an explosive violent temper who frequently punishes the human race for doing things that we were literally apparently built to do.

He's also an attention whore that requires your complete willing enslavement to his will - mind, body, and soul and he's perfectly willing to genocide whole civilizations for the slightest error - even if that error was something that humans can't really avoid due to being human.

In short, he's a douche of the highest caliber, but you should worship him because that's where good christian morals come from. God... and Jesus.
Question 
The god of the bible clearly represents the mindset of the primitive men who invented him.
Biblegod demands that you love him. He orders you to love him. If you don't he punishes you forever. What an insane freak!!!! A human who does that usually ends up in jail or killed by someone in self defense. God is a total narcissistic loser.
[youtube]Nht_AgzONAA[/youtube]
I'm really shitty at giving kudos and rep. That's because I would be inconsistent in remembering to do them, and also I don't really want it to show if any favouritism is happening. Even worse would be inconsistencies causing false favouritisms to show. So, fuck it. Just assume that I've given you some good rep and a number of kudos, and everyone should be happy...
(July 30, 2010 at 3:59 am)Minimalist Wrote: The god of the bible clearly represents the mindset of the primitive men who invented him.

Didn't Heinlein once say that humans have never created a god who was any better behaved than a spoiled two-year-old? The Biblical god YHWH is certainly no exception.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Childish? YHWH?

I think that's one of his more attractive qualities.

I'd add (not in any order, just as they come to mind): Petulant,petty, vindictive,cruel,sadistic,fickle, stupid,and thoroughly unpleasant all round. If I believed in such a 'orrible cunt I'd be fucking terrified of him.
(July 30, 2010 at 8:52 pm)padraic Wrote: If I believed in such a 'orrible cunt I'd be fucking terrified of him.

Which explains a shitload about Christians.
(July 30, 2010 at 10:35 pm)Shell B Wrote: Which explains a shitload about Christians.

I think that also explains robot santa from futurama.
Someone must surely have programmed him to give god's love to all humanity.

Here's that love in the form of a jolly christmas jingle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AizNTA3q7Fk
Quote:If you have read the Bible, or know anything about Christianity in general, you know that the Judeo-Christian God REQUIRES and DESIRES praise and thankfulness from his subjects.

You sure your not looking at the verses out of context?
Quote:You hear that God is a jealous God, and he hates it when humans worship "false idols" and gods other than him. He becomes angry and destroys anything that doesnt agree with him.

You should read an incredible short book called, 'Whos Afraid of the God of the Old Testament' by Alden Thomson, an incredible book!
When the Israelites were around, back in the not so good old days, there wars a lot of funny religious practices, such as, sacrificing your first born son to Molech. 'Holy' orgies (If thats even possible) and here comes the fun part mutilating ones genitals. These practices and religions were all very appealing to the Jews and were more pagan than Jewish, if you look at the history. I believe, if it was God, showed Himself as being a jealous God who hated worship of other gods, because He didnt want the jews to be morally deprived. God was dealing with stupid people, He couldnt show His love and true nature, as He was dealing with people who couldnt deal with such a God.
Quote:Those who dont agree with him, or accept him are thrown into hell to suffer for eternity,
Says who? Read Romans 2 and the entire NT. You will see that there are more than one ways to get to Jesus/Heaven.
Quote:and those who accept him and praise him are rewarded. So basically God is using a sort of blackmail to get humans to do what he wants, but if God was omnipotent, there would be no reason for a hell, and Satan, right?

You forgot about the part of freedom to do whatever the hell we wanted.
Quote:I'd add (not in any order, just as they come to mind): Petulant,petty, vindictive,cruel,sadistic,fickle, stupid,and thoroughly unpleasant all round. If I believed in such a 'orrible cunt I'd be fucking terrified of him.

Perhaps what you are seeing is the reflection of what the culture was like, not the character of God.

(August 7, 2010 at 2:43 am)solja247 Wrote: You sure your not looking at the verses out of context?
Have you read the bible?

(August 7, 2010 at 2:43 am)solja247 Wrote: You should read an incredible short book called, 'Whos Afraid of the God of the Old Testament' by Alden Thomson, an incredible book!
When the Israelites were around, back in the not so good old days, there wars a lot of funny religious practices, such as, sacrificing your first born son to Molech. 'Holy' orgies (If thats even possible) and here comes the fun part mutilating ones genitals. These practices and religions were all very appealing to the Jews and were more pagan than Jewish, if you look at the history. I believe, if it was God, showed Himself as being a jealous God who hated worship of other gods, because He didnt want the jews to be morally deprived. God was dealing with stupid people, He couldnt show His love and true nature, as He was dealing with people who couldnt deal with such a God.
I really could care less how strange some people's actions were in that day and age. God's go-to response for most things tends to involve anything from mass genocide to mass genocide for literally any reason and a lot of it is our fault for being who and what we are.
If god didn't want us to act a certain way, he should have built us that way.

(August 7, 2010 at 2:43 am)solja247 Wrote: Perhaps what you are seeing is the reflection of what the culture was like, not the character of God.
Again, have you read the bible? I dont' think we've read the same book here. I have the King James version.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Kind of Philosopher are You?" Online Quiz chimp3 47 11107 June 6, 2017 at 12:46 am
Last Post: Bunburryist