Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purgatory Explained?
Purgatory Explained?
Can someone explain to me the Roman Catholic doctrine of Purgatory?

I think its sort of like some "intermediate" state where one can pray for the souls of the dead so they can go to heaven quicker?

How do they justify it? Purgatory is not in the Bible.

It just seems to be the sort of thing the Roman Catholic Church did to bilk the Midieval peasents out of their money? Want grandma to go to heaven? Give all your money to the "Church."

Are there any current or ex-Roman Catholics, or those knowledgable about  Roman Catholic dogma who can explain this?
RE: Purgatory Explained?
Um, try a Catholic forum?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
It's a waiting area for the newly departed who's eternal affairs may not be entirely in order.  During this period, earthbound souls with a vested interest may choose to settle the departed's earthly debts and cosmic penance with gracious donations to their local religious authorities.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I was raised Catholic and you seem to be (or are pretending to be) far more interested in this than I ever was. Why are you asking a forum for atheists to explain purgatory? Why don't you go to a Catholic forum to ask this?
One could ask why christians are so anti abortion, when the bible isn't. Some things they add or ignore for their own purposes. Purgatory is probably to try to make the idea of hell a bit more palatable, since instead of scaring people into converting, you might scare people away from christianity. Hard to convince people that your god is a good guy when he plans to throw the majority of the population into a lake of fire for not believing in him.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

It's in Catechism, Catholics do not need something to be in the bible because they believe the church receives it's directives from god. So basically whatever the church says is coming from god, it's like a continuous bible to the Catholics, but really it's just a bunch of old guys in robes making shit up as they go.
(May 22, 2016 at 6:42 pm)Janice_Spokes Wrote: Can someone explain to me the Roman Catholic doctrine of Purgatory?

I think its sort of like some "intermediate" state where one can pray for the souls of the dead so they can go to heaven quicker?

It just seems to be the sort of thing the Roman Catholic Church did to bilk the Midieval peasents out of their money? Want grandma to go to heaven? Give all your money to the "Church."

Are there any current or ex-Roman Catholics, or those knowledgable about  Roman Catholic dogma who can explain this?
They got the idea of purgatory from the Zoroastrians.
http://www.hinduwebsite.com/zoroastrianism/beliefs.asp
It's just a catholic fantasy. Accept it as you do your particular christian fantasies.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 22, 2016 at 6:42 pm)Janice_Spokes Wrote: It just seems to be the sort of thing the Roman Catholic Church did to bilk the Midieval peasents out of their money?

As if the Protestant idea of the Prosperity Gospel is any different.

Your're so fucking stupid. Medieval peasants didn't have disposable income to give to the church. Indulgences were only sought from those that had money. Your modern day huckster is far worse, he/she attempts to suck the last dime from the paranoid elderly, knowing they're close to death. Fear mongering for profit at its best.

I can't imagine why Jesus needs money. Even if he did, why ask self anointed charlatans to transact the deal? Are you telling me that Jesus can miraculously create a shit load of fish and loaves and water out of wine, but currency kicks his ass?
(May 22, 2016 at 6:42 pm)Janice_Spokes Wrote: Can someone explain to me the Roman Catholic doctrine of Purgatory?

The waiting room of the after life.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Trinity Explained FadingW 118 37451 October 8, 2010 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist