Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make Atheism Great Again
Make Atheism Great Again
I think it's time we reset the priorities of this movement. Remember when the Reason Rally was about secularism and mocking religion? Remember when the main discussion was on creationism and failed religious philosophy? Now it's become a bunch of children whining about their feelings. When did the Atheism movement turn into an SJW movement? Can the SJW's just form a movement on their own without leaching on other movements? I mean ok, trans rights and gay rights and such are important issues, but what have they got to do with Atheism? Now-a-days, they've even taken to trying to ban scientists from talking at conferences or firing them from their job. Why? Because feelings. Remember when the Atheist movement was a group of people that spoke their mind no matter who it pissed off? Yeah, now that the regressive left has taken over the movement with people like Steve Shives and the like, it's basically become a modern incarnation of Atheism+. A message to the SJW's that may be reading this. If you want to see the secularist movement survive, stop trying to attach other dogmas to it, because you're only going to divide people. There are many atheist who do not agree with you on said politics and social views, but do agree with you on secularism. The Reason Rally had just barely 1,000 people there this time, as opposed to the 20,000 people in 2012. You are not helping the movement by putting in regressive left values. You are only driving people away.

[Image: 13315706_1170157433024183_82262540138050...e=580CA2E9]
RE: Make Atheism Great Again
Sure, I'm all about separating atheism from other issues. Trying to transform us into a group which has atheism as one of the characteristics is just feeding into theists' strawmen.

It's irrelevant, and a theist can take any of these positions just as well. A theist can even be secular as well as a secularist; they needn't associate with any religion at all.

However, "The Atheist Movement" should be nothing more than people trying to remove prejudices against atheists and tackling misconceptions, in my opinion. Everything else is a matter for the individual, or individual groups. And no atheist should feel compelled to partake in either of those should they not wish to; although I hope they would agree with the sentiments if asked.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
To paraphrase the next president of the United States, Hillary Clinton, "Atheism never stopped being great."
That's true. It has just been misused. And we really don't need to encourage that.

The things I also value such as scepticism, secularism, education and general equality are positions I own and not ones I assume any other atheist necessarily holds. Nor do I like other atheists assuming my positions, any more than I like theists doing it.

If you're talking about secularism, then say secularism. And so on.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(June 8, 2016 at 8:40 pm)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: I think it's time we reset the priorities of this movement. Remember when the Reason Rally was about secularism and mocking religion?

Mocking religion has gotten old for most, IMO.

Quote:Remember when the main discussion was on creationism and failed religious philosophy? Now it's become a bunch of children whining about their feelings. When did the Atheism movement turn into an SJW movement? Can the SJW's just form a movement on their own without leaching on other movements?

I really hate it when people capitalize the word "atheism" when it's not part of a title or at the beginning of a sentence. It is not a proper noun.

On top of that, atheism, in and of itself, has no right to a movement. It's a null position, and it's certainly not a "SWJ movement", whatever that is. There are a lot of atheists who are concerned with social issues. That probably isn't going to change.

Atheism is a lack of belief in god(s). That's it. We'd all be pretty boring if we didn't have other things we were interested in and passionate about.

Quote:I mean ok, trans rights and gay rights and such are important issues, but what have they got to do with Atheism?

They don't. A lot of atheists are concerned with those things.

Quote:Now-a-days, they've even taken to trying to ban scientists from talking at conferences or firing them from their job. Why? Because feelings.

Who have? Atheists?

Quote:Remember when the Atheist movement was a group of people that spoke their mind no matter who it pissed off?

I'm an atheist and I resent the implication that I'm part of a "movement" by default.

Quote:Yeah, now that the regressive left has taken over the movement with people like Steve Shives and the like, it's basically become a modern incarnation of Atheism+. A message to the SJW's that may be reading this. If you want to see the secularist movement survive, stop trying to attach other dogmas to it, because you're only going to divide people.

Barf.

Quote:There are many atheist who do not agree with you on said politics and social views, but do agree with you on secularism.

Exactly.

Quote:The Reason Rally had just barely 1,000 people there this time, as opposed to the 20,000 people in 2012. You are not helping the movement by putting in regressive left values. You are only driving people away.

Have you heard the "herding cats" analogy? People got bored with the obvious and stopped being interested. I myself can only read or hear the same shit so many times before I'm completely bored. The only thing to say about atheism, in and of itself, is that it's a lack of belief in deities. That's it.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
I agree but would add theism hence a----theism LOL .... But yes, without gods there would be no theism presumably ....

I agree things like gay, women, transsexual, race, tribe, etc, etc, rights are nothing to do with atheism ...  but those willing to open their minds generally open their minds to everything once they have taken that step away from the dogma and bigotry of religion Smile
Religion is the top shelf of the supernatural supermarket ... Madog
Sure, I would expect most atheists to agree with me on certain subjects. But not necessarily by a huge margin. And I wouldn't assume anything about a particular atheist. Or theist, for that matter.

Index of my best videos
(June 8, 2016 at 8:40 pm)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: I think it's time we reset the priorities of this movement.

What movement? I don't remember being handed a card, or anything... I don't believe in god - it's not an ideology, or a sub-culture, not even a life-style. It's just my position in relation to deities. I'm not an "Atheist" - I'm an atheist...

(June 8, 2016 at 8:40 pm)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: Remember when the Reason Rally was about secularism and mocking religion?

Well, the novelty has worn off. Move on.

(June 8, 2016 at 8:40 pm)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: Remember when the main discussion was on creationism and failed religious philosophy?

Lol... No. Up until very recently creationism was almost exclusively USA problem. In Europe and most of Asia even the religious people learned to live with the concept of evolution, while in the more backward (read - theocratic, read - islamic) parts of the world there never was a discussion, because they have many more social and political issues to solve, before there can be a free discourse on philosophy and cosmology over there.

(June 8, 2016 at 8:40 pm)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: Now it's become a bunch of children whining about their feelings.

If you say so. I'm not seeing it.

(June 8, 2016 at 8:40 pm)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: When did the Atheism movement turn into an SJW movement?

I don't know. Did it? Was there ever one? What's this SJW movement, that seems to have got your panties in such a twist?

(June 8, 2016 at 8:40 pm)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: Can the SJW's just form a movement on their own without leaching on other movements? I mean ok, trans rights and gay rights and such are important issues, but what have they got to do with Atheism?

I don't know. You tell me. If Thunderf00t is an "Atheist", and "Atheism" is anything like atheism, then what does his grudge against feminism have to do with "Atheism"? Oh, that's right - views. As I said before - the novelty of atheism on internet has worn off. People, who might have gained popularity by expressing atheistic views, especially on social issues, have to move on and expand, if they want to remain relevant and keep that ad/patreon revenue going. That's why some of them have to pander to - say - misogynists.

(June 8, 2016 at 8:40 pm)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: Now-a-days, they've even taken to trying to ban scientists from talking at conferences or firing them from their job.

Who does? Do you have any facts at your disposal, or are you just ranting on the basis of what you heard on a YouTube video?

(June 8, 2016 at 8:40 pm)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: Why? Because feelings. Remember when the Atheist movement was a group of people that spoke their mind no matter who it pissed off?

Uhm... Again - no. Huh

(June 8, 2016 at 8:40 pm)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: Yeah, now that the regressive left has taken over the movement with people like Steve Shives and the like, it's basically become a modern incarnation of Atheism+. A message to the SJW's that may be reading this. If you want to see the secularist movement survive, stop trying to attach other dogmas to it, because you're only going to divide people. There are many atheist who do not agree with you on said politics and social views, but do agree with you on secularism. The Reason Rally had just barely 1,000 people there this time, as opposed to the 20,000 people in 2012. You are not helping the movement by putting in regressive left values. You are only driving people away.

Yeah, well - you're not helping atheism, by calling it a "movement", or attaching your own agendas, to the simple concept. I don't even have to be a secularist, or mock religion to be an atheist. And if I ever was a card-carrying member of this "Atheism", if there is something that would drive me away, or make me feel ashamed to be associated with such a group - it would be misogyny and bigotry expressed by some of those "great Atheists"...

That - or using Trump's dumb slogan.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
I would love nothing more than for atheism to not exist.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Hear hear!

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27113 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  A great atheist debate video. Jehanne 0 1182 February 14, 2016 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Critique of "God is Not Great" by Christoper Hitchens phil-lndn 74 12450 January 24, 2016 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Great quote from Carl Sagan. Jehanne 0 1015 December 30, 2015 at 9:13 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Matt Dillahunty's great argument against some people who deny Evolution Heat 1 2274 November 11, 2015 at 4:12 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Saluting all the good and great theists we have had on this site. Whateverist 103 16852 November 6, 2015 at 7:14 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12470 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Great youtube channel I found robvalue 7 2013 September 10, 2014 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: Dolorian
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12148 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  The Great Agnostic Foxaèr 2 1583 April 30, 2014 at 5:15 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4