Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Higher IQ
Higher IQ
As some of you may have noticed I've had other threads talking about intelligence, the malleability of it etc because I am geniunely interested in it, I'd prefer not have any comments about how I shouldn't worry about this, how I should think less about this and do my best etc. This thread is not because I want to compare myself. I'm simply interested in how brains work differently, what are the signs, in what way they are different etc.

Now to the question; are there any members here with an or any members who know someone with a higher IQ of >120? If so:
1) How did you fare academically?
2) How fast did you learn a new concept?
3) Did you have to study much outside of school?
4) What was difficult for you to learn and what wasn't?
5) How did it feel being around people that had it a bit more difficult to learn new concepts, remember things, solve problems etc
6) When you solve a problem in let's say mathematics (you can use another example) what is your approach and thought process when solving it?
7) How was your experience when learning a new language? Did it come to you easily?

Personally I believe someone with a higher IQ has a much better and much more efficient thought process combined with a more powerful subconscious (pattern recognition, memory and such is very important too).
RE: Higher IQ
Learning was and is still still fairly easy for me it didn't make me feel anymore superior to anyone i never really bothered showing off that i have a high IQ either.
and learning a new language is fairly easy for me as well. I mean having a high IQ and being smart is nice it's also depressing as well.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
My IQ was tested when I was around 13, and it was above 120.

Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I'm a dumbass.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Lol Knew you'd like that rob. Made myself chuckle.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Yeah Big Grin lol
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I learn easily if I'm interested in something but get easily distracted if not

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Roz

Yes I was tested in the 130 range.... but it was a long time ago and there was a lot less to know.

1) Above average
2) Very fast if I was interested in it.
3) No.
4) Math bored the living shit out of me.
5) I don't recall it being much of an issue.
6) See #4
7) The way we teach languages in the US it was a snap.  Of course I barely remember enough Spanish to be able to order a beer.
Apparently I am -not- above average because I have never been tested and I'd assume if I were they would have tested me lol
(June 13, 2016 at 10:27 am)RozKek Wrote: As some of you may have noticed I've had other threads talking about intelligence, the malleability of it etc because I am geniunely interested in it, I'd prefer not have any comments about how I shouldn't worry about this, how I should think less about this and do my best etc. This thread is not because I want to compare myself. I'm simply interested in how brains work differently, what are the signs, in what way they are different etc.

Now to the question; are there any members here with an or any members who know someone with a higher IQ of >120? If so:
1) How did you fare academically?
2) How fast did you learn a new concept?
3) Did you have to study much outside of school?
4) What was difficult for you to learn and what wasn't?
5) How did it feel being around people that had it a bit more difficult to learn new concepts, remember things, solve problems etc
6) When you solve a problem in let's say mathematics (you can use another example) what is your approach and thought process when solving it?
7) How was your experience when learning a new language? Did it come to you easily?

Personally I believe someone with a higher IQ has a much better and much more efficient thought process combined with a more powerful subconscious (pattern recognition, memory and such is very important too).

I've never been tested for IQ, so I have no idea. Like you; I do think the topic of the different ways in which people think is interesting so I thought that I would answer your questions.  I did take the preliminary test for Mensa in the U.S. which indicated I could be a good candidate.  I also remember something my physics teacher said to me, when he selected me to be a part of a Junior Engineering and Technical society competition.   That it wasn't because of grades (there where others in the same grade range as me) but because I thought different.

But to answer your questions. 

1. Always did pretty well academically. 
  2. I always learned new things quickly...  And a large part of my job is dealing with things I've never seen before.
  3. Never needed to study much.... I didn't do much work outside of school.
  4. I had the most difficulty with English, also things where strictly memorization.   History - Biology
  5. I like teaching and helping people.... It also helps me to visualize different ways to look at the topic.   Do have to fight the tendency to jump in and do it for them though.
  6. I look at different ways, I can solve the problem.  And then hone in on the best method.
  7. I only took a couple of years of Spanish in High School.   Struggled some with vocabulary.    Wish I was forced more to speak in another language.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Higher consciousness in animals Justtristo 4 3259 March 31, 2011 at 11:33 am
Last Post: ib.me.ub
  Higher IQ linked to liberalism Darwinian 12 3433 March 22, 2010 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused