Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Didn't Want To Derail The Brexit Thread but
I Didn't Want To Derail The Brexit Thread but
in keeping with Tiberius' observations about ill-informed voters comes this story from the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/28/scienc...c=rss&_r=0

Quote:American Drivers Regain Appetite for Gas Guzzlers

Quote:Falling gas prices have made big, heavy cars fashionable again, said Michael Sivak, the director of sustainable worldwide transportation at the University of Michigan’s Transportation Research Institute. In fact, demand for trucks, S.U.V.s and vans has rebounded to historic levels after they dropped sharply in 2008, when gas was $4 a gallon.

“People have very short memories about the price of gasoline,” Dr. Sivak said.

No, Dr. Sivak, people have short memories about everything and almost no sense of pattern recognition at all.

We see the same principle where people go out and buy an SUV thinking - "gas prices are down and they'll never go up again."

We also see people living next to a river who get flooded out and say "glad that's over...guess I'll rebuild!"

We see people living on the Great Plains who watch houses get blown down by tornadoes year after year and never seem to think "maybe I should build a different kind of structure."

We see people living on the shoreline who think "why is flood insurance so expensive?"

We have people living in the woods who are sweating forest fires every spring/summer.

No, Dr. Sivak.  People are just fucking stupid.
RE: I Didn't Want To Derail The Brexit Thread but
To be fair a lot of people know the risk about living in some of those areas but the risks don't outweigh the benefits for them. It's a bit like people who live near to active/dormant volcanos. One would think they are pretty stupid, but you can make a large amount of money if you can farm that land because it's so fertile.
Some people do not have a choice either.  They live where they can afford.  If you are on a flood plain the expensive real estate is on top of the hill.  Good point about the volcano although few are like Etna or Stromboli going off all the time.
(June 24, 2016 at 4:06 pm)Tiberius Wrote: To be fair a lot of people know the risk about living in some of those areas but the risks don't outweigh the benefits for them. It's a bit like people who live near to active/dormant volcanos. One would think they are pretty stupid, but you can make a large amount of money if you can farm that land because it's so fertile.
I actually have a volcano for sale if you're interested.
Since we live on a living planet disasters come with the rent.

Automakers have been making smaller cars for years. Maybe I missed the story where consumers took over the manufacturing lines and started making larger gas-guzzling cars.
It's one thing to make them.... its another thing to buy them.
(June 24, 2016 at 5:59 pm)Spirian Wrote:
(June 24, 2016 at 4:06 pm)Tiberius Wrote: To be fair a lot of people know the risk about living in some of those areas but the risks don't outweigh the benefits for them. It's a bit like people who live near to active/dormant volcanos. One would think they are pretty stupid, but you can make a large amount of money if you can farm that land because it's so fertile.
I actually have a volcano for sale if you're interested.

i will buy Hawaii for a dollar.
We have so many people down here driving gigantotrucks. Now that gas is creeping back up (we're at $2,20/gal, up from $1.60 since the winter), I'm stocking up on lines for gloating ... I drive a four-cylinder standard-transmission Ranger that costs less than half to fill up as one of their behemoths.

Can't fit my brood in a small car, so I have to suck it up at the pump, just like my car. Prefer to drive my economy sedan when I can. Wish I had an electric, still too expensive for my blood though.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is "Be the part of the change you want to see in the world!" bullshit? FlatAssembler 45 2077 February 3, 2024 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Two things I want to talk about, politics wise ShinyCrystals 39 2436 September 23, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: no one
  Brexit LinuxGal 15 1320 December 28, 2022 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Ukrainians dont want to learn Russian language Interaktive 2 307 July 31, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Interaktive
  Want to sell more guns? Vote ( D ) onlinebiker 145 7815 February 26, 2021 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Are you sure you want to do that? onlinebiker 40 2153 January 12, 2021 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Do you REALLY want things to change? onlinebiker 16 1541 September 19, 2020 at 4:45 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Most British voters support violence on brexit downbeatplumb 17 1491 October 30, 2019 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Who do you want to be the Democratic nominee in 2020? CapnAwesome 71 4066 September 14, 2018 at 1:25 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  No You Didn't, Fuckhead Minimalist 15 1656 August 28, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: vorlon13