Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you REALLY want things to change?
Do you REALLY want things to change?
Keep voting - and nothing will.

Why not?

Because - you are going to be voting for politicians. Politicians who by nature are people who want to be in charge. They get aroused by power. They are twisted individuals that will say or do ANYTHING to get in, and stay in power. Anything you want is at the bottom of their priority list. Try sending them a letter sometime - and see what response you get. A form letter. Mailed by an unpaid flunky. You and your cause - whatever it is - means diddly squat to a politician. (unless for some twisted reason your cause is getting the politician elected.)

If you don't agree with this assessment - you are completely out of touch with reality.

So what to do?

How about we get rid of voting as it now exists? Voting is currently a monumental fuckfest - that wastes time, money, resources - and does it's absolute best to divide the country into two groups - The Good Guys (your party) and those Evil Other Motherfuckers.

Why not choose by lot?

Do it like the lottery.  Every four years they have an hour long, live TV show on all networks - and they pull numbers out of a lottery type ball machine - to make Social Security Numbers.... Your number got pulled? OK bud - you are the Senator for the State of Ohio. Next.....

You think this is a horrible idea? Some idiot might get into power?

Have you seen the President lately??? You really think by lot is going to be worse?

Of course there could be vetting to make sure the criminal, the insane or just total assholes don't get in charge....

Again - have you seen the President lately????

OR

Pull that lever - and see what ya get.

.. Panic
RE: Do you REALLY want things to change?
I have long mentally held the understanding that our government is corrupt. In the end, the only thing that will make a difference is the people. The people can make a change, if they are willing to revolt. A revolution. It can be something as simple as the entire country deciding to not vote or it can be as demanding as an outright riot of violence.

Hey, I'm fine with any scenario, because in the end what I want is real change.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
They had this in the old days. Only instead of drawing numbers, they drew babies out of a specific woman's vagina, and that person got to be leader. They still have this in some countries.
"Tradition" is just a word people use to make themselves feel better about being an asshole.
(September 18, 2020 at 10:18 am)Divinity Wrote: They had this in the old days.  Only instead of drawing numbers, they drew babies out of a specific woman's vagina, and that person got to be leader.  They still have this in some countries.

No.

Monarchy and royalty are not the same - as only one specific family can rule.

In this proposed system ANYONE can truly become President.

It is the opposite of royalty.
(September 18, 2020 at 9:59 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Keep voting - and nothing will.

Why not?

Because - you are going to be voting for politicians. Politicians who by nature are people who want to be in charge. They get aroused by power. They are twisted individuals that will say or do ANYTHING to get in, and stay in power. Anything you want is at the bottom of their priority list. Try sending them a letter sometime - and see what response you get. A form letter. Mailed by an unpaid flunky. You and your cause - whatever it is - means diddly squat to a politician. (unless for some twisted reason your cause is getting the politician elected.)

If you don't agree with this assessment - you are completely out of touch with reality.

So what to do?

How about we get rid of voting as it now exists? Voting is currently a monumental fuckfest - that wastes time, money, resources - and does it's absolute best to divide the country into two groups - The Good Guys (your party) and those Evil Other Motherfuckers.

Why not choose by lot?

Do it like the lottery.  Every four years they have an hour long, live TV show on all networks - and they pull numbers out of a lottery type ball machine - to make Social Security Numbers.... Your number got pulled? OK bud - you are the Senator for the State of Ohio. Next.....

You think this is a horrible idea? Some idiot might get into power?

Have you seen the President lately??? You really think by lot is going to be worse?

Of course there could be vetting to make sure the criminal, the insane or just total assholes don't get in charge....

Again - have you seen the President lately????

OR

Pull that lever - and see what ya get.

.. Panic

This is nonsense.

Power, no matter if you end up with an open or closed society WILL always arise. 

Please tell everyone here what your perfect idea would be.

You can't simply destroy a system without a plan to replace that system. And all powers that arise out of the ashes that they defeat, all still require funding and leadership.

Yes, humans seek power. But unlike closed states like North Korea, China, Russia in the west, as imperfect as we are, still have a far better chance of choosing our leadership.

An idiot is in power, yes. But it is still up to us to get him out of power. 

North Korea actually does have voting. A clown show of a farce, but they do have voting.
The PLAN IS - choose by lot.

Jesus.... It's like trying to explain nuclear power to a hyena...
(September 18, 2020 at 10:41 am)onlinebiker Wrote: The PLAN IS - choose by lot.

Jesus.... It's like trying to explain nuclear power to a hyena...

Yes, because two sentences constitute explaining complexity.

You don't like the way things are going..... NO SHIT.

Well that isn't relegated to you, or only your political views. Others outside your personal bias are also not happy with the way things are going.

I am so sick of people bitching about what they don't want, but don't offer up solutions as to what they think will work, and not only work for themselves, but create unity and inclusion for more.

Let me clue you in, I don't like the way things are going either.

But I don't think the way to fix things is to burn down everything.

I don't think the Constitution is the problem. I think humans are. I think over the past 40 years one class and one party has abused and manipulated our system. 

Voting certainly isn't perfect, and powers can and have and do manipulate maps through gerrymandering.  But that isn't the fault of the constitution, that is the fault of humans, politicians and voters. 

"Voting doesn't work".......... Sure, it doesn't if people don't care and don't participate. But what do you want in it's place?
Gosh, you are so much more woke than anyone else.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
Choose by talent show contest.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I actually find the idea of Rule by Lottery entertaining enough to consider it. Only qualifier I would add along a vetting process would be a required, at least, 1-2 year education in leadership requirements. Meaning after the lot and before someone would take office, they would use at least 2 years to qualify for it. This qualifier requirement isn't that far from technocratic considerations.

This requirement also means there would be a 2 year lag from a lottery result and then the leader taking office.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is "Be the part of the change you want to see in the world!" bullshit? FlatAssembler 45 1423 February 3, 2024 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Two things I want to talk about, politics wise ShinyCrystals 39 2184 September 23, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: no one
  Ukrainians dont want to learn Russian language Interaktive 2 288 July 31, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Interaktive
  Want to sell more guns? Vote ( D ) onlinebiker 145 7331 February 26, 2021 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Are you sure you want to do that? onlinebiker 40 1828 January 12, 2021 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Who do you want to be the Democratic nominee in 2020? CapnAwesome 71 3768 September 14, 2018 at 1:25 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Atlas Journals: Saudi Arabia and the change 2018 WinterHold 6 967 July 21, 2018 at 5:35 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Okay GOP, now is your time to shine and show how much you really love America GODZILLA 25 2950 July 17, 2018 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  10 things that you did not know about immigrants. Jehanne 31 4005 April 24, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What would you change about the American public school system? Bahana 53 5923 April 17, 2018 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0