Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No, No Arks Required........
No, No Arks Required........
http://www.heritagedaily.com/2016/06/the...hem/111833

Quote:The top six dinosaur myths and how we busted them

Quote:Myth 6: Dinosaurs all became extinct

The asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs, almost. T. rex, Triceratops and the rest disappeared, but a handful of small feathered dinosaurs, probably less than a dozen species, survived. They were birds — small, flying cousins of T. rex and Velociraptor and the direct descendants of the carnivorous dinosaurs. And they not only survived but thrived, evolving into some ten thousand species of birds.
RE: No, No Arks Required........
When I was a kid the connection hadn't been made yet, so people could say the dinos died out and the books supported them. Now we know the books were wrong, but no deliberately so, just to the extent of the knowledge they had at the time.

Too bad some people aren't updating their Book as new knowledge becomes available.
I never understood how all the dinosaurs could be killed by one asteroid unless they hadn't spread out very far. The one's that weren't killed by the asteroid would not have been fossilized. They would have died some other way.

I's really remarkable that we have such a rich fossil record when you consider that most animals don't die in a way that allows their remains to be preserved in tact.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(June 26, 2016 at 1:46 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: I never understood how all the dinosaurs could be killed by one asteroid unless they hadn't spread out very far.  The one's that weren't killed by the asteroid would not have been fossilized. They would have died some other way.

I's really remarkable that we have such a rich fossil record when you consider that most animals don't die in a way that allows their remains to be preserved in tact.

The "nuclear winter" (perpetual overcast and resulting cold weather) from the Chicxulub meteor killed off the plant life. The herbivores died because of that. The carnivores turned scavenger and finally ran out of food themselves. The small critters could find bits of food to sustain them here and there, but complex life was tittering on the abyss for a while. 

As for fossils, there may be more than we think. Lee Berger found two sites with numerous hominid fossils, in 2008 and 2014. We're talking thousands of bones. He mentioned that you can find many thousands of antelope fossils in the area (near Johannesburg, South Africa.) So it may not be so remarkable after all. The T. Rex "Sue" was found in a nearly complete state.
Nearly everything was killed, it was an extinction event.  It's a bit of a simplification to say that everything got wiped out by an impact.  More the lasting effect of that impact (and other contributing factors not related, specifically, to any impact event).  Straw that broke the camels back kind of thing.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The damage to the biosphere, planet wide, was considerable.

IIRC, upwards of 1% of the atmosphere was lost to space as the impact energy was far in excess of the Teller maximum.

It was an enormously devastating blast.

{edit, went and checked Wiki}

Long high splashes of molten rock were also blasted into space and created intense heat around the globe when they re-entered the atmosphere.  The blast also triggered earthquakes and volcanoes planetwide.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(June 26, 2016 at 2:00 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Nearly everything was killed, it was an extinction event.  It's a bit of a simplification to say that everything got wiped out by an impact.  More the lasting effect of that impact (and other contributing factors not related, specifically, to any impact event).  Straw that broke the camels back kind of thing.

I doubt everything got wiped out. some things had to survive, or we would not be here. New life could not have developed on earth after the oxygenation event, so if everything got wiped out, that would be it.

Hey, couldn't scientists easily recreate the beginning of life on earth in a controlled environment? Don't we know all the necessary conditions? A Christian controlled senate wouldn't pay for it, but fuck that. If it can be done, I'd give my last dollar to see it happen.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

Wiki 'Miller Urey experiment"
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(June 26, 2016 at 2:28 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: The damage to the biosphere, planet wide, was considerable.

IIRC, upwards of 1% of the atmosphere was lost to space as the impact energy was far in excess of the Teller maximum.

It was an enormously devastating blast.

{edit, went and checked Wiki}

Long high splashes of molten rock were also blasted into space and created intense heat around the globe when they re-entered the atmosphere.  The blast also triggered earthquakes and volcanoes planetwide.
You know what this means, don't you? The second coming came at the end of the Jurassic age. The dinosaurs were eating and drinking and buying and selling, then sudden destruction BOOM!

--Voltaire

I thought the dinosaurs were gay and god smote them

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm Sure This Will Start The Creatards Talking About Arks... Minimalist 5 1587 May 7, 2016 at 6:22 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Of Round Arks and other bullshit Minimalist 2 1043 January 6, 2012 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist